Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2009, 12:36 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,433,052 times

Advertisements

You don't see many AA living abroad. At least in Europe. The only ones are musicians and basketball players.

As to AA living in Africa, Richard Pryor would have said...."Say whaaat, Nig..r".

AA are not considered Africans in Africa. They are considered Americans. Africans say that they are "Americans with a tan".

Look at the example of Liberia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 01:08 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,457,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
You know such thing, since I am not now nor have I ever been a proponent of financial reparations, or any legislation supporting such, so your ignorance of the thinking of those who do is as great as it was before we began this argument. The fact that you are "more against it than ever" tells me that I had the gist of your argument exactly right to begin with.
I see your active imagination extends well beyond historical discussion. I hope it brings you comfort and joy.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:14 PM

12,956 posts, read 13,671,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
You don't see many AA living abroad. At least in Europe. The only ones are musicians and basketball players.

As to AA living in Africa, Richard Pryor would have said...."Say whaaat, Nig..r".

AA are not considered Africans in Africa. They are considered Americans. Africans say that they are "Americans with a tan".

Look at the example of Liberia.
That's like saying "I'm glad I'm not white, Just look at Appalachia"

Old 07-02-2009, 03:17 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
That's like saying "I'm glad I'm not white, Just look at Appalachia"
Well I AM glad I'm not a Hillbilly.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:25 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,789,861 times
[quote=LizzySWW;9471879]
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
If slavery was not stopped by law or by an eventual slave uprising there would be slavery to this day.
quote]

Oh sure, we'd all live in today's society in the US with a bunch of African slaves right now in 2009. OK.
It is not beyond the realm of possibility, considering how many southern whites are still very racist today.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:30 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
[quote=big daryle;9575090]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
It is not beyond the realm of possibility, considering how many southern whites are still very racist today.
slavery has disappears "officially" world wide. i dont think southern wasps have a monopoly on racism.
i think we let a lot of people off the hook. example, if AA does it its not racism its payback.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:13 PM

12,956 posts, read 13,671,429 times
some times when I read the labor Laws I think that Slavery was actually a three hundred year process that morphed into our current system of Labor,

Old 07-02-2009, 04:19 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
[quote=Huckleberry3911948;9575150]
Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
slavery has disappears "officially" world wide. i dont think southern wasps have a monopoly on racism.
i think we let a lot of people off the hook. example, if AA does it its not racism its payback.
Southern whites did not have a monopoly on it, I agree. With that said, it took a war to end slavery in the USA, and the resentment from the war carried on for a while.

Last edited by green_mariner; 07-02-2009 at 04:33 PM..

Old 07-02-2009, 04:26 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
I see your active imagination extends well beyond historical discussion. I hope it brings you comfort and joy.
You think, or rather more to the point, you don't.

So, lay down your historical facts, let's weigh them and we'll see who is the more imaginative.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:08 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,318,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
What idiocy!

Let's review:

"their modern descendants did get at least one form of compensation: they live here, rather than in Africa."

Compensation, for what? Dying to insure American liberty? Over 5,000 persons of African descent served in the Continental Army and over the next 200 years served and died in every conflict fought by this country. From a economic standpoint, African Americans labored in every field of endeavor to produce this countries material wealth at less than fair compensation. It was African Americans who forced this nation to live up to its own standards of justice and equality. Nothing have ever been freely given, our "compensation" was earned but has never been duly compensated for.

As for the canard, the African Americans should kiss their lucky stars for being dragged to this continent, kept in chattel bondage, and even when freed, forced to live as second class citizens which has in no small part kept a significant portion of its community mired in poverty and self hatred, devoid of its cultural heritage and identity is the height of arrogance, and white paternalism.

Compensation for slavery? Hell this country owes a far greater debt to African Americans that should be stamped, long past due!

Now with regards to the "condition" of Africa. Yes, by all means even the poorest African American lives at a higher standard of living than the poorest African, certainly in a material sense, but materiality is not the only standard by which the lives of humans should be of value. Even the poorest Ibo, Yoruban, or Samburu, knows who he is, understands his cultures history and heritage. We, African Americans, are still trying to carve, develop and refine ours.

As for your argument that the slave trade, it you cannot discern the linearity between the adaptation of the less than human rational for the enslavement of African people, the centuries of exploitation and how that has shaped the socio-political structures of the continent... I see little point in continuing this line of argument.
I'm wordless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History