Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 11:15 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,427,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
To play "war" at a war that happened long ago is much easier to consider harmless play than one that happened within living memory. And then to play Waffen SS on top of it, Christ, sounds VERY anti-social to me.
They seem pretty non-political (one should hope), and very fastidious about uniform details. I haven't ever socialized with them, so I can't speak for what type of guys they are. They must enjoy it a lot, considering the expense that goes into equipping someone with a reasonable facsimile of SS battle dress. They used to re-enact the 9th SS (Hohenstaufen), then switched to the 2nd SS (Das Reich). I would have a hard time with the latter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 02:33 AM

13,580 posts, read 15,585,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
They seem pretty non-political (one should hope), and very fastidious about uniform details. I haven't ever socialized with them, so I can't speak for what type of guys they are. They must enjoy it a lot, considering the expense that goes into equipping someone with a reasonable facsimile of SS battle dress. They used to re-enact the 9th SS (Hohenstaufen), then switched to the 2nd SS (Das Reich). I would have a hard time with the latter.
I want to see a group that has a mobile assault gun or tank destroyer, built off a Panzer IV chasis. I believe the Hetzger is one of them. Cool stuff.

hetzer - Google Image Search

Old 07-02-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I want to see a group that has a mobile assault gun or tank destroyer, built off a Panzer IV chasis. I believe the Hetzger is one of them. Cool stuff.

hetzer - Google Image Search
Some groups have Hetzers. I believe what happened with those--why some have survived in working order--is that the Czech military got them as reparations after the war, and they stayed in service a fair amount of time. Kind of the way a number of US and British weapons survive in significant numbers because the Israelis got hold of them, and Israelis never throw away a weapon that still works. Those that lack Hetzers or Sdkfzs sometimes seem to have Kubelwagens.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:37 PM

572 posts, read 1,314,844 times
I have been active in Civil War Reenacting since the Summer of 1980. I haven't been to a battle reenactment in a few years but I march in several parades a year.
Many people are interested in our Nation's history and the Civil War is a popular subject for books, film, artwork and music. Civil War roundtables are organizations that meet on a monthly basis and the members listen to lectures or discuss the Civil War.
When offered the opportunity to experience some aspects of those days many find Civil War reenacting to be a worthwhile hobby.
Reenacting groups are organized like clubs with dues paying members who elect officers like president, secretary and treasurer. Most have newsletters and now e-mail mailings. Usually each group chooses a particular regiment to research and portray. These members share research and tips on how to be "authentic".
Civil War reenacting has proven to be a family friendly hobby despite what most people think about people running around with guns shooting at each other. Most every event is a Friday night to Sunday afternoon affair with a Saturday night dance. At these dances the ladies get the chance to dress up in their ball gowns and dance to live period music. Usually there is a dance master or caller to keep things moving.
The men love the guy stuff - the guns, the cannons, swords, the smell of gunpowder while the ladies like the afternoon teas, the cooking on campfires and chatting with other ladies.
Civil war reenactors keep history alive by preserving skills and crafts like hand tailoring clothing, shoemaking, old recipes, hatmaking and more. They are not living in a fantasy world of dragons or spaceships but rather finding the meaning behind the statue of a Civil War soldier in the town square or the origins of our country.
I have enjoyed all the events I have attended; even those at which it rained. I have been to many of our countries historical sites and camped out on some. I have been in CW uniform at West Point and Fort McHenry, Gettysburg and Antietam,NY city and small towns I can't remember the names of.
Civil War reenacting is much more than putting on a staged battle on a Sunday afternoon.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:23 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,606,558 times
thank you for the post, they are family friendly events. It always unsettles me when I see/hear people make unkind comments about another persons hobby. To each his own....

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinduffy View Post
I have been active in Civil War Reenacting since the Summer of 1980. I haven't been to a battle reenactment in a few years but I march in several parades a year.
Many people are interested in our Nation's history and the Civil War is a popular subject for books, film, artwork and music. Civil War roundtables are organizations that meet on a monthly basis and the members listen to lectures or discuss the Civil War.
When offered the opportunity to experience some aspects of those days many find Civil War reenacting to be a worthwhile hobby.
Reenacting groups are organized like clubs with dues paying members who elect officers like president, secretary and treasurer. Most have newsletters and now e-mail mailings. Usually each group chooses a particular regiment to research and portray. These members share research and tips on how to be "authentic".
Civil War reenacting has proven to be a family friendly hobby despite what most people think about people running around with guns shooting at each other. Most every event is a Friday night to Sunday afternoon affair with a Saturday night dance. At these dances the ladies get the chance to dress up in their ball gowns and dance to live period music. Usually there is a dance master or caller to keep things moving.
The men love the guy stuff - the guns, the cannons, swords, the smell of gunpowder while the ladies like the afternoon teas, the cooking on campfires and chatting with other ladies.
Civil war reenactors keep history alive by preserving skills and crafts like hand tailoring clothing, shoemaking, old recipes, hatmaking and more. They are not living in a fantasy world of dragons or spaceships but rather finding the meaning behind the statue of a Civil War soldier in the town square or the origins of our country.
I have enjoyed all the events I have attended; even those at which it rained. I have been to many of our countries historical sites and camped out on some. I have been in CW uniform at West Point and Fort McHenry, Gettysburg and Antietam,NY city and small towns I can't remember the names of.
Civil War reenacting is much more than putting on a staged battle on a Sunday afternoon.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:38 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,273,217 times
Quote:
Like I said, I'm definately planning on trying it some time.... I live 5 minutes from Cedar Creek, which is one of the bigger re-enactments in the country (I guess re-enactors like it because it's one of the few that they can actually re-enact the battle ON the actual battlefield..)...

Old 07-03-2009, 09:34 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,701,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
(I guess re-enactors like it because it's one of the few that they can actually re-enact the battle ON the actual battlefield..)...

That is in incredibly bad taste Rhett. To play "bang bang" on the actual ground where men inflicted death and terrible wounds on each other.....amazing.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:49 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,034,469 times
Quote:
They are not living in a fantasy world of dragons or spaceships but rather finding the meaning behind the statue of a Civil War soldier in the town square or the origins of our country.
It is instructive that within your defense of reenactor activities, you included the above knock on sci fi fans who I'm confident also have an array of justifications as to why what they are doing is much more than just what it appears.

What reenactors and Trekkies have in common is that all of the beneficial aspects which get listed, by you above, or by them at their conventions, may also be brought about without the participants dressing up in costumes and...well....playing. A Civil War Roundtable need not be conducted in uniform anymore than thinking about the future requires one to have toy phaser in hand while doing so.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:30 AM

12,920 posts, read 13,613,626 times
The National Park System is gearing up for the Sesquicentennial of the Civil War as some of you may know , There are Millions of Dollars already appropriated for Commemorative celebrations and activities, the Kansas and Missouri boarder got 15 million to establish commemorative programs called Freedoms Frontier, the state park workers call the civil war "the Big one" in terms of national commemorative programs because it last quite a while , I will suspect there will be alot of paid work for reinactors because the demand may be greater for those years,( 2011-2016 ?) I remember when they commemorated The Journey of Discovery they hired two complete groups to retrace the two year journey

Old 07-03-2009, 10:45 AM

This is interesting because I've never heard a critical perspective on war re-enactment before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History