Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 08:48 PM

23,563 posts, read 70,166,587 times

Advertisements

There really is no forum for this. It would have to be a special forum that was dedicated to TRUE journalists. Cronkite died tonight. It was the final chapter on honest television news reporting, and a death of that science fiction concept of "fair witness." Those who never saw the news back then, missed understanding just how important journalism was to an honest expression of the Constitution of the United States.

"Go baby, go, Walter! Good journey."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 05:58 AM

594 posts, read 1,775,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
There really is no forum for this. It would have to be a special forum that was dedicated to TRUE journalists. Cronkite died tonight. It was the final chapter on honest television news reporting, and a death of that science fiction concept of "fair witness." Those who never saw the news back then, missed understanding just how important journalism was to an honest expression of the Constitution of the United States.

"Go baby, go, Walter! Good journey."
Harry,

Thanks for starting this thread. Walter Cronkite deserves all the superlatives accorded him. He was more than a journalist; he was the conscience of America. When Cronkite dissented on the Vietnam War, Lyndon Johnson said, "That's it, if I've lost Cronkite, I've lost middle America." Above all else, he was a defender of the constitution.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:28 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,682,701 times
I like him but he was really a presenter. You have to remmeber that we only got a very limited view of the world in those days. MKany jouranlsit hid facts from the pubilc then. Don;t kid yourself journalist have always controlled what and how they presented the news by their views.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:50 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,701,922 times
The guy had a good schtick and a great voice and he knew how to use it----an actor in other words.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,550 times
he was a man to hold it together when the world was crumbling under his feet.not like these sissys we got now.he stood in the thick of it all.now hes reporting in heaven

Old 07-18-2009, 12:50 PM

926 posts, read 2,743,445 times
R.I.P to a great journalist

Old 07-18-2009, 05:20 PM

737 posts, read 1,034,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoiswildcat View Post
he was a man to hold it together when the world was crumbling under his feet.not like these sissys we got now.he stood in the thick of it all.now hes reporting in heaven
He really was Walter "Concrete"! He was not only believable...he was believed. .... and that's the way was!

Old 07-18-2009, 06:55 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,173,983 times
Serendipity I was just thinking about him because of the 40th anniversary of the Apollo moon landing. I especially remember him for that, the presidential election conventions (before they were a pre-scripted done deal), and the Kennedy assassination.
Attached Thumbnails
Cronkite-cronkite-mobile.jpg  

Old 07-20-2009, 11:01 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,824,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I like him but he was really a presenter. You have to remmeber that we only got a very limited view of the world in those days. MKany jouranlsit hid facts from the pubilc then. Don;t kid yourself journalist have always controlled what and how they presented the news by their views.
Sure they did - for instance Kennedy's palandering. But, then again, they didn't think it really mattered to the issues at hand and that it was none of the publics business. Maybe they were right?

More important - they seemed more objective during that time. Cronkite was the ideal unobjective person. Sure he had opinions, but he kept them to himself, and he offered unrefutable facts. His reporting on Vietnam in 1968, where Johnson said "if I've lost Cronkite I've lost middle american", was not in your face, it was just good reporting that left viewers with the proper conclusion that the War in Vietnam was a lost cause as it was being conducted.

Now look at the network news - we've had Rathergate, we've had the media fake vehicle safety test (I think that was ABC), we have essentially an entertainment reporter on the CBS anchor desk, we have Michael Jackson and Brittany Spears as first 5 minute news. And the mainstreem media is so "in your face" biased that it's not even funny anymore, to the point of that they can't be considered an objective source of information anymore, or, based on what political affiliation is in power, a fair check-and-balance to the government (and there, we now have alternatives - online news sources).

Last edited by Dd714; 07-20-2009 at 12:21 PM..

Old 07-20-2009, 12:16 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,173,983 times
Tonight (Monday 7/20) on the History Channel at 8:30E and 7:30C US - Walter Cronkite and CBS news coverage of the 1969 Apollo 11 moon landing.

The Moon Landing: Apollo 11
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History