U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 11:20 PM

28,008 posts, read 46,494,842 times

Advertisements

Four decades ago this summer, I stood next to a colleague and helped set up some instruments on a distant place.

1969: The Year That Changed America - FOXNews.com (http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/2009/07/19/year-changed-america/?slide=2 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 08:47 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,590,203 times
Not exactly sure what this means, but has anyone considered that the first men to fly, Orville and Wilbur Wright; the first American in outer space, John Glenn; and the first man on the moon, Neil Armstrong, were all from Ohio?

Old 07-22-2009, 07:56 AM

37,222 posts, read 17,545,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
Not exactly sure what this means, but has anyone considered that the first men to fly, Orville and Wilbur Wright; the first American in outer space, John Glenn; and the first man on the moon, Neil Armstrong, were all from Ohio?
One thing that it means is that you need to check your history. Alan Shepard was the first American in space. He was born in New Hampshire.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:08 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,590,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
One thing that it means is that you need to check your history. Alan Shepard was the first American in space. He was born in New Hampshire.
This is what happens when one sits at the computer too late at night on C-D instead of going to bed. True, Alan Shepherd was the first American in outer space, he did orbit the globe. What I intended to write, if I hadn't been sleep deprived, was that Glenn was the first American to orbit the globe. Shame on me for making such an obvious error. My rocket scientist father (who developed the telemetry for the Mercury series) must be spinning in his grave!

Old 07-22-2009, 02:40 PM

37,222 posts, read 17,545,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
This is what happens when one sits at the computer too late at night on C-D instead of going to bed. True, Alan Shepherd was the first American in outer space, he did orbit the globe. What I intended to write, if I hadn't been sleep deprived, was that Glenn was the first American to orbit the globe. Shame on me for making such an obvious error. My rocket scientist father (who developed the telemetry for the Mercury series) must be spinning in his grave!
Quite understandable, a very common mistake. For whatever reasons, John Glenn managed to capture the the majority of the attention showered on the Mercury astronauts and is easily the best remembered of the original seven. I would attribute this to: A) The Glenn flight had some drama associated with it in that NASA was uncertain whether or not the heat shield on his capsule had degraded to the point where Glenn would have burned to death during re-entry. Shepard's flight had not featured any close calls. and B) Glenn kept his name before the public by entering politics and winning a Senate seat.

Although I think I have finally overcome the problem, for the longest time I used to fuse Charles Martel and Charlemagne into one person, at least in terms of their deeds, and I had several "ooops" moments with statements I made or wrote about one or both of them.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:54 PM

739 posts, read 819,596 times
Default Character is not a fleeting thing!

I have always admired the two men who handled fame well and walked away from it well! Neil armstrong, and Johnny carson, both had their time in the spotlight, and were content to return to private life, keeping things in perspective. That takes a man who is secure in who he is! Johnny married again and was happy to live a private life. Neil turned his back on millions in endorsements, and to this day remains the "reluctant astronaut"...no offense to Don Knotts! He refers to his moon trip as only "fireworks" and wants to be remembered for his whole life's work.Buzz, on the other hand, like his name... can't quit chasing that flame! ...or is that fame?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or