Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 09:12 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times

Advertisements

I came upon a child of god
He was walking along the road
And I asked him, where are you going
And this he told me
Im going on down to yasgurs farm
Im going to join in a rock n roll band
Im going to camp out on the land
Im going to try an get my soul free
We are stardust
We are golden
And weve got to get ourselves
Back to the garden

Then can I walk beside you
I have come here to lose the smog
And I feel to be a cog in something turning
Well maybe it is just the time of year
Or maybe its the time of man
I dont know who l am
But you know life is for learning
We are stardust
We are golden
Back to the garden

By the time we got to woodstock
We were half a million strong
And everywhere there was song and celebration
And I dreamed I saw the bombers
Riding shotgun in the sky
And they were turning into butterflies
Above our nation
We are stardust
Billion year old carbon
We are golden
Caught in the devils bargain
Back to the garden

YouTube - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Woodstock
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 10:40 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,747 times
Ayn Rand published a essay using the examples of the Apollo Project and Woodstock which came to a cresendo in the Summer of 69. In one we used our intellect and with its power even the Moon was within our reach.
In the other we appealed to our baser emotions and joined Dionysus in whallowing in the mud.

I think Rand was on to something.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:49 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
OHHH NOOOOO. I feared a woodstock post. I was just responding to a woodstock post in the music forum and laughing about the last thread in this history forum on the 60's month's ago. We had 5 pages of "the sweet perfume of marijuana was in the air (seriously - someone actually wrote that)..peace and love was everywhere" and about every cliche and caricature you can get from people who's only connection to the 60's youth movement was catching the Woodstock movie on VH1. Please, I can't go through that again.

I can't wait until the Gimme Shelter 40th anniverssary. That's the actual 60's (and for that matter, the actual 70's, 80's, 90's, etc) -
"War, children, it's just a shot away
It's just a shot away
Rape, murder!
It's just a shot away"

Peace and love, indeed.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:30 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Looking back that whole hippie thing was just so----dipsticky, and what grew out of it was a generation that thinks an accountant who drives an Audi is different in fundamental way from an accountant who drives a Buick.

And most of the hippie bands were really lame, the best band at Woodstock was Mountain and they're not even in the movie.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:53 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,602,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Looking back that whole hippie thing was just so----dipsticky, and what grew out of it was a generation that thinks an accountant who drives an Audi is different in fundamental way from an accountant who drives a Buick.
I'm not sure I get that connection

Old 08-14-2009, 03:19 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
OK, people were thinner, but maybe that is just the hippies.

I think today's girls are a lot hotter.

CSNY were great, though that is not their best.

You watch that stuff, and you can really look back 40 years and contemplate...did those folks have it wrong (as has been played out) or did they have it right and the rest of us really screwed it up. Uhmm.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:04 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
You watch that stuff, and you can really look back 40 years and contemplate...did those folks have it wrong (as has been played out) or did they have it right and the rest of us really screwed it up. Uhmm.
It's always hilarious when people impose their perspectives on an earlier generation.

Old 08-15-2009, 03:50 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post

And most of the hippie bands were really lame, the best band at Woodstock was Mountain and they're not even in the movie.
Mountain had as many successful songs as Iron Butterfly which is about one.

As for those lame groups,

Richie Havens
Santana
Canned Heat
Mountain
Grateful Dead
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Janis Joplin with The Kozmic Blues Band
Sly & the Family Stone
The Who
Jefferson Airplane
Joe Cocker
Ten Years After
The Band
Blood, Sweat & Tears
Johnny Winter featuring his brother, Edgar Winter
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
Neil Young
Paul Butterfield Blues Band
Jimi Hendrix

Old 08-15-2009, 04:40 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
And, never forget that while the hippies were hanging out at Woodstock, their peers who happened to have been assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 1st Infantry Regiment in Vietnam were involved in the battle of Hiep Duc, in which nearly 100 died.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:09 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,857,597 times
I'll stick up for the group Mountain.I've seen them three times in three decades and they can STILL bring it! rip, Felix Pappalardi.

That being said, Ovcatto brings a list of people whose music sells well to this day. I'm a music hobbiest, the first 45 I bought was seven years BEFORE Woodstock. Through mom and pop music stores (yes, there are still some left), e-bay, music hobby publications like Goldmine, the music cd and record conventions, these artists are relevant today.

How do I know? I have seen hundreds of 20 and 30 year old collectors buy the latest Neil Young, Joe Cocker, Who, and SEVERAL artists that are listed above here.

In the last 5 years, I have been to a dozen concerts by these people. Their current music sells well, their back catalog sells well. Hobbie wise, album and cd collectors zero in on the late 60's and early 70's like never before. They are just as relevant in this decade as much as they were 40 years ago.

How relevant? In the last 5 years Neil Young has released over well over a dozen releases. He is as creative as any artist going today. I've never been disappointed with material Santana puts out. Levon Helm of The Band has released two excellent releases in the last couple years that are GREAT recordings. I just saw Johnny Winter at the Mesa Club here in Grand Junction, Colorado this past Monday. A great show! I saw the Who in Salt Lake City at the Delta Center 3 years ago, and close to 18,000 rocked the evening long AND were very receptive of their latest CD, The Wire.

People who were rising stars at Woodstock and are alive, well, still recording, and selling out concerts? THAT'S relevant. And the buyers and concert goers are 20 to 30 years older than the performers? That's relevant as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History