Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 01:15 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,520,451 times

Advertisements

"Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree," by Patty, Maxine and Laverne---The Andrews Sisters.

This YouTube clip is from the wartime movie, "Private Buckaroo." It's a little fuzzy, but you may recognize the soldier they drag onstage as Shemp Howard, of the Three Stooges.

YouTube - Andrews Sisters - Don't Sit Under The Apple Tree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 06:51 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,805,223 times
Default A great thread

I was born in Europe in 1943 so there is no real reason that a person of my generation should be fascinated by WWII music. But I am because I love big bands. So in addition to the excellent recommendations already made I would add the Glenn Miller Army Air Force Band broadcasts. There are plenty of them around.
I grew up in Finland, where German influence had been strong for decades before WWII. That's why certain German WWII songs are familiar to me. Or maybe I should say 1930s songs because Germany produced very little imaginative popular music once Hitler established control.
My absolute favorite from that pre-war era is "Warum," which was sung by Miliza Korjus, an Estonian-born nightingale who made it to Berlin and later to Hollywood. Among the influences of that era was composer Theo Mackeben.
As Hitler tightened the screws, many of Germany's most creative people in theater and popular music left. Those who came to America concentrated in Hollywood where there were so many Germans that when a couple was conversing in a popular restaurant in Hungarian, the next table declared -- in German: "This is Hollywood, speak German."
There is a great book about the incredible influence of people from that wave of German emigres, "Exiled in Paradise." You will be surprised how many of the screenwriters, actors, actresses, composers, musicians, writers and social scientists became famous.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:54 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,647,495 times
I like the melodies in this one:

YouTube - Uboot lied----- TRANSLATED!

Old 08-20-2009, 02:04 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,631,687 times
I'm partial to Richard Wagner

Old 08-20-2009, 05:47 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,875,465 times
"I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas " sung by Bing Crosby and featured in the 1942 movie " Holiday Inn". One of the best selling songs of all time it struck a chord with the millions of service men / women who were serving far away from home during this holiday period.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:16 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,587,825 times
Hard to beat this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDmnBEFBa5Y

Second best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZlFBSRrSR0

Old 08-21-2009, 04:59 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,720,646 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVpM8OPixds

Old 08-21-2009, 07:35 AM

8,408 posts, read 7,400,755 times
The Disney version of "Der Fuhrer's Face" was imo better than the Spike Jones version.

But the best WW2 song of all time? "Springtime for Hitler".

Old 08-21-2009, 08:33 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,805,223 times
Default Same topic, different take

This was in today's Baltimore Jewish Times:
Baltimore Jewish Times - Local News | Saving Concentration Camp Music - A special CD project brings to life music from the concentration camps of World War II.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:12 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,104,856 times
I like "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy", but in general regard the second world war as a weak one for music, especially on the heels of WW I which was fought with a much better score playing in the background. "Keep the Home Fires Burning", "Long Way To Tipperary", "Over There", "Mademoiselle From Armentieres", "Oh, It's A Lovely War".....they had some toe tappers to sing while they slaughtered one another.

The American Civil War was also notable for its chart busters..."Dixie", "Bonnie Blue Flag", Battle Hymm of the Republic", "Tenting Tonight", "Battle Cry of Freedom."

"Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree" just doesn't fit with those groups.

In the sixties, at the height of the Cold War, Tom Lehrer considered the the shape the next world war was likely to take and concluded "If any songs are going to come out of World War Three, we'd better start writing them now."

He got the ball rolling himself.

YouTube - Tom Lehrer - So Long, Mom (A Song for World War III)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History