U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-07-2009, 08:44 AM

13,016 posts, read 24,271,459 times

Advertisements

I just finished watching ''A Knights Tale'' for the 5th or 6th time (I luv the movie) and so i got to thinking about the history of this middle ages sport. Although the movie is fiction they did mention the Battle of Poitiers (1356) and also Edward the Black Prince of England (1330-1376) who was King Edward III son and heir to the throne was featured in it but i can't find much historical info about it on the net.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 10:37 AM

2,377 posts, read 3,479,672 times
Funny you should mention jousting today...I spent all day yesterday at the NY State Fair hoping to see the Jousting Tournament, only to find out it is today.. not yesterday
Anyway, I don't think most people think of jousting as a sport, which is what it was..Many participants were killed and maimed.. but prize money was good and you got to attract lots of attention from the ladies
Jousting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-07-2009, 01:14 PM

13,016 posts, read 24,271,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudy Rose View Post
Funny you should mention jousting today...I spent all day yesterday at the NY State Fair hoping to see the Jousting Tournament, only to find out it is today.. not yesterday
Anyway, I don't think most people think of jousting as a sport, which is what it was..Many participants were killed and maimed.. but prize money was good and you got to attract lots of attention from the ladies
Jousting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
What a coincidence huh .

Well they also stated in the movie that only the nobles could Joust and that the commoners weren't allowed to do so as i wonder if that was true? Also the Wiki link basically doesn't say what centuries or dates they participated in it except for a brief pause in the ''1300's''.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:33 PM

2,377 posts, read 3,479,672 times
I know that Richard the Lionheart's brother,Geoffrey died in a jousting contest. Jousting started in France in the mid 11th century and peaked in the 13th.. then pretty much died out in the 1600's.. Warfare was changing and so was the culture of Chivalray.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:10 PM

2,544 posts, read 2,126,211 times
I just watched the Jousting tournament Saturday at our Renaissance Festival here in Holly, MI. The kids had great fun with it. IIRC, ours is the second largest in the nation, after Texas.

Part of the reason that only the nobles could joust, I believe, was that only they could afford the horse, and the armor, and the weapons, etc. Not to mention the horror if a peasant bested a noble!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History