Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 09:28 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,729,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
What's surprising about this is that Viking dna would turn up in Co. Mayo which is in the West. Vikings were know on the East Coast where they established Dublin and Waterford. I'm very surprised that any Scandinavian dna would turn up so far west.
Huh?

The Norse arrived in Ireland over 1200 years ago. You're surprised that their genetic legacy managed to move 150 miles to the west, across country with no significant barriers whatsoever, in that time span? All it would take is a few individuals moving a dozen or so miles to the west once every few generations.

It would be inexplicable were there not Viking DNA in County Mayo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 09:45 AM

2,673 posts, read 5,427,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Huh?

The Norse arrived in Ireland over 1200 years ago. You're surprised that their genetic legacy managed to move 150 miles to the west, across country with no significant barriers whatsoever, in that time span? All it would take is a few individuals moving a dozen or so miles to the west once every few generations.

I'm Irish and was always under the impression that Viking power in Ireland was limited to the east coast. Even when they were testing for dna in the past the west was always thought to be very indigenous Irish. Castlerea in Co Roscommon has been used as a blue print for very Irish people. Yes it is strange that Viking dna is so far west. It is not just my opinion.

My father said that there was a Viking settlement in Loughrea in Co. Galway but I didn't think it would have too much impact on the surrounding population.

The west of Ireland has always been a bit isolated from the influences of the Engish and other invaders.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:01 AM

They do appear to have a presence further inland. I'm just surprised they would leave so much dna around.

A Viking base was founded on Lough Ree in 845 and soon afterwards a major settlement was established at Limerick. The Athlunkard longphort may be related to this campaign.

Viking Longphorts in Ireland.

I'm very surprised about this. Co. Mayo is not where you would expect Viking ancestry to pop up.

Last edited by Bernie20; 12-05-2013 at 10:10 AM..

Old 12-05-2013, 10:14 AM

4,454 posts, read 4,586,124 times
Quote:
You know a source, the Annals of Ulster note that the Vikings (Northmen) were striking all along the west coast from Mayo to Kerry in the year 812. A decade laer they were on the east coast as far south as Wexford. And in the Annals of the Four Masters it's recorded that they were plundering the coast of Cork. From the looks of it, the evdience shows that the Vikings encircled Eire in their voyages.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
You know a source, the Annals of Ulster note that the Vikings (Northmen) were striking all along the west coast from Mayo to Kerry in the year 812. A decade laer they were on the east coast as far south as Wexford. And in the Annals of the Four Masters it's recorded that they were plundering the coast of Cork. From the looks of it, the evdience shows that the Vikings encircled Eire in their voyages.
All those Vikings still didn't make as much an impact as the Irish Chieftain Niall.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:19 PM

9,744 posts, read 20,664,712 times
Yep it's there and underrated. Eastern Scotland is more Norse than Celtic, genetically and culturally.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:56 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,159,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
I'm Irish and was always under the impression that Viking power in Ireland was limited to the east coast. Even when they were testing for dna in the past the west was always thought to be very indigenous Irish. Castlerea in Co Roscommon has been used as a blue print for very Irish people. Yes it is strange that Viking dna is so far west. It is not just my opinion.

My father said that there was a Viking settlement in Loughrea in Co. Galway but I didn't think it would have too much impact on the surrounding population.

The west of Ireland has always been a bit isolated from the influences of the Engish and other invaders.
If they built a settlement, they brought in farmers, and often when the raids ceased, they merged into the population. This is why norse linage is very strong on the eastern side of Britan, where the Danelaw existed since the Danes who lived there mostly stayed working their farms. I would be surprised in in Ireland where there were Viking settlements if there wasn't a measureable influence in the DNA.

I remember a documentary on the escavation of one of their settlements in costal Britan. They found graves where the funeralry symbols of both Scandanivan and locals are intermixed, and even the clothing was combined, and evidence of numerous intermarriages. In essense, once they were done plundering in came the farmers, and many of the raiders would have been as well. In places where the Angles and Saxons had earlier settled, they were close enough they shared much in their cultures and could understand each others languages.

I traced the family names I have, which on my main line is all, and found all are either anglo or other mixed with scandanivan or derivites of scandanavian. The closest Scots line, my great grandmother, origionated as scandanivian, and my g grandfather's is anglo-scandanivian.

One time I was discussing ancestry with someone who was from Britan and was told I LOOK Scots...

When I do Ancestry testing, I'm very interested in how much scandanivian they find.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
If they built a settlement, they brought in farmers, and often when the raids ceased, they merged into the population. This is why norse linage is very strong on the eastern side of Britan, where the Danelaw existed since the Danes who lived there mostly stayed working their farms. I would be surprised in in Ireland where there were Viking settlements if there wasn't a measureable influence in the DNA.

I remember a documentary on the escavation of one of their settlements in costal Britan. They found graves where the funeralry symbols of both Scandanivan and locals are intermixed, and even the clothing was combined, and evidence of numerous intermarriages. In essense, once they were done plundering in came the farmers, and many of the raiders would have been as well. In places where the Angles and Saxons had earlier settled, they were close enough they shared much in their cultures and could understand each others languages.

I traced the family names I have, which on my main line is all, and found all are either anglo or other mixed with scandanivan or derivites of scandanavian. The closest Scots line, my great grandmother, origionated as scandanivian, and my g grandfather's is anglo-scandanivian.

One time I was discussing ancestry with someone who was from Britan and was told I LOOK Scots...

When I do Ancestry testing, I'm very interested in how much scandanivian they find.
It wouldn't be a surprise if there was some Viking ancestry around a place like Waterford and Wexford where they had a settlement but what is unexpected is that the west coast of Ireland would have any Viking ancestry. The east coast of Ireland wouldn't be a surprise as they had a few settlements and of course Dublin but they weren't known for going so far west. That is why it is surprising.

This was part of The National Geographic Genographic Project and only Co. Mayo was sampled. Co. Mayo is as far West as you can get in Ireland. It is in the province of Connaught where the Gaelic Irish are.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:24 PM

2,866 posts, read 3,611,365 times
My wife believes in the Viking blood in the Scots line. Probably where she got her red hair. She definitely follows the celtic line in her family tree.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,935 times
Im trying to find out more about my family history wondering if i have viking blood in me my last name is O'Kelley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History