U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-21-2011, 04:17 PM

9,258 posts, read 10,872,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, doubt that.

I wouldn't be surprised if the groups of young, aggressive men who actually went out raiding didn't contain a large amount of homosexuals; rough trade types of the day like modern leather guys and gay bikers. It's said that wandering Celtic war bands of earlier days contained many gay men and Viking war bands may have had a similar makeup; you know, the male bonding and all that.

There's nothing about being violent and tough that negates homosexuality; look at the Spartans.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 04:39 PM

1,839 posts, read 1,650,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the groups of young, aggressive men who actually went out raiding didn't contain a large amount of homosexuals; rough trade types of the day like modern leather guys and gay bikers. It's said that wandering Celtic war bands of earlier days contained many gay men and Viking war bands may have had a similar makeup; you know, the male bonding and all that.

There's nothing about being violent and tough that negates homosexuality; look at the Spartans.
Well, allow me to clarify my stance here. I don't doubt that homosexual things happened amongst them. What I doubt is that they were %100 strictly homosexual.

Let's not forget, everybody is bisexual to some degree. :P

Old 06-21-2011, 04:46 PM

4,925 posts, read 5,786,037 times
Quote:
Well, allow me to clarify my stance here. I don't doubt that homosexual things happened amongst them. What I doubt is that they were %100 strictly homosexual.

Let's not forget, everybody is bisexual to some degree. :P
I doubt they were 2% homosexual.

Ancient warrior societies generally had a way of putting an end to that...usually unpleasantly.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:49 PM

1,839 posts, read 1,650,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post

Ancient warrior societies generally had a way of putting an end to that...usually unpleasantly.
With the exception of Greeks.

But as far as I know, you are right about that.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post

Don't be so sure, like I said the Celts had a gay thing going and some primitive societies were so macho that relations with men were looked upon as better than those with women who were looked on as inferiors; better to have sex with an equal than an inferior.

John Masters talked about homosexuality among the Pathans of the Raj's Northwest Frontier, a most warlike people, this seemingly rooted in their view of women as property. If you screw a guy's daughter you defile his property and risk a feud but hey, screw the guy's son and it's just boys will be boys.

I've also read about Melanesian male warrior societies that are into homosexual relationships between older and younger warriors.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Reasonable. I get the impression many older cultures were tolerant of switch hitting.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:12 PM

9,484 posts, read 6,500,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post

And remember, rape isn't about sexual issues, its about power and intimidation. It's not about sex but about forcing you will on someone who doesn't want it. If in a raid the villagers knew their women would be raped, then it becomes an instrument of terror, just as the slaughter and destruction were. Do all men who rape in prisons consider themselves homosexual if the whole point is to demomstrate power in a personal and destructive way?

If a bunch of Vikings (actually a bunch of young scandanavians going a viking) were all homosexual, this does not preclude using rape as a weapon of terror against their targets.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
And remember, rape isn't about sexual issues, its about power and intimidation.............
Excellent post.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:08 PM

6,070 posts, read 6,239,413 times
Actually, there is scholarship on the subject of homosexuality in Viking-age Norse society, but since this is city-data, it really has no place here :-)

Here is an accessible (easy read) on the subject: Viking Answer Lady Webpage - Homosexuality in Viking Scandinavia

Old 07-18-2011, 12:10 AM

591 posts, read 358,448 times
What sgolide said plus this: in northern Scotland it's well known the Shetlands and Orkneys were ruled by a combination of Scandi-Scots, and the Scottish name Andrews (associated with kings in that part of the world) is so ancient it has no clan association, no tartan associated with it because it's essentially Scandi-Scottish royalty that preceeds the modern notion of clan and tartan. (Any clan-tartan associations mentioned today are done *as if* the marriages had had clans assigned to the sides in the past before the marriages took place).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History