Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 05:54 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,143,523 times

Advertisements

In most Nordic countries, the governors of the regions having the condition of being governor, could elect the woman who wanted to get close to your region. When there was that relationship, the governor hung above the door of his house horns for all the people knew the privilege that he had his family and the father, looked proud of their horns all the people. From this custom came the famous Nordic phrase "cuckold."

translate.google.com

However, that wouldn't make sense because the phrase more often deals with the husband of an ufaithful wife .... not the person who is making him a cuckold

The bit about the Cuckoo bird laying it's eggs in the nest of another bird seems to be a little more reasonable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 05:43 PM

29,175 posts, read 22,167,290 times
Although my family on my father's side is all English-Welsh, we carry an ancient viking surname. My ancestors arrived as a group; my ancestral grandfather and grandmother, their grown and married children, and some grandchildren all immigrated here at the same time. Before they left, they all inhabited one small country community, and very few family members did not leave.

When I was a young adult, I ran into a fellow who has my last name, which is a rare one, but his family is all Norwegian on both sides.
While both of our families are small and widely separated, neither one of us knew anything about each other. Neither family in the Old World knew the other existed.

His family's immigration was very similar to mine- multi-generational, all from a tiny village, and all carrying an uncommon viking name. Both families arrived in America only 2 years apart.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:46 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,271,334 times
Many years ago my optometrist mentioned I must have nordic ancestors as she was doing the retinal check. At that time I didn't know my lineage and asked her why she said that. She said that those who have nordic DNA often (but not always) have very pale or nearly white retinas. She said mine was the lightest she has seen.

She said that the light colored retina was not tied to the eye color. You can have brown eyes and a light retina.

So next time you get your eyes checked, ask.

BTW, it turned out she was right. I do have Norse ancestors who lived on the Orkney Islands and etc.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:57 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,154,139 times
Ulster,Ullapool and Ullswater are supposed to have Nordic connections.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:17 AM

2,672 posts, read 5,433,518 times
No surprises about Niall but it is interesting that they are finding Viking dna in Western Ireland. DNA was only taken from residents of Co. Mayo.

Chieftain Niall of the Nine Hostages is one of the recognized fathers of thousands of the Irish, but hundreds of County Mayo residents were fascinated to learn this week that there was also a little Viking DNA in their makeup, a fact discovered thanks to the National Geographic

Read more: National Geographic says Irish DNA goes back to Vikings as well as Niall of the Nine Hostages | Irish News | IrishCentral

The Genographic Project Returns to Ireland to Reveal DNA Results – News Watch

Last edited by Bernie20; 12-04-2013 at 01:29 AM..

Old 12-04-2013, 04:00 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,215,927 times
My family on two Grandparents are Irish, right off the boat during the potato famine. Great grandparents spoke Celtic Irish. All blonde, blue eyes, tall, fair.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:58 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,736,891 times
Given the periodic occupation by the Norse of various parts of the British Isles in the early Middle Ages, you'd probably be hard-pressed to find many Irish, Scots, English or Welsh of today without some Viking blood.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:20 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,355,851 times
My close ancestors were German, Scottish, and English, but I have a significant proportion of Scandinavian DNA. I am sure it comes from Viking/Nordic ancestors.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:42 PM

1,661 posts, read 2,518,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
My close ancestors were German, Scottish, and English, but I have a significant proportion of Scandinavian DNA. I am sure it comes from Viking/Nordic ancestors.
Same here. I even look and act like one!

Old 12-05-2013, 09:19 AM

2,672 posts, read 5,433,518 times
What's surprising about this is that Viking dna would turn up in Co. Mayo which is in the West. Vikings were know on the East Coast where they established Dublin and Waterford. I'm very surprised that any Scandinavian dna would turn up so far west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History