Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 11:35 PM

829 posts, read 2,944,679 times

Advertisements

It has been said that many who descend from scotland and ireland or both have viking blood in them because of settlements made by vikings...I have heard reference to the scandanavian scots..what is a realistic assumption for this, or is it really in no way to be proven on how much viking blood are in the scots/irish...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 11:47 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,394,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticViking View Post
It has been said that many who descend from scotland and ireland or both have viking blood in them because of settlements made by vikings...I have heard reference to the scandanavian scots..what is a realistic assumption for this, or is it really in no way to be proven on how much viking blood are in the scots/irish...?
There simply has to be a good admixture of Nordic blood in both regions. The Vikings, after all, did land in both areas in force, and there is little doubt that frequent fornication was one of life's simple pleasures for the Vikings.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:54 PM

829 posts, read 2,944,679 times
Thanks for the answer...I just wonder if there is a way to show exactly of the british isles/celtic region have nordic/viking blood in them...just interesting to me...

Old 09-16-2009, 11:54 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,224,079 times
We have family members who participated in a DNA project which confirmed the Viking connection (also based on family history) on the English side, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least on the Irish one either as I certainly look Viking.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:41 AM

13,563 posts, read 15,487,665 times
There's Mediterranean blood in the region as well, because the proto-Celts came from the Iberian Peninsula. Examples:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_T46kEyyVU_k/RjCUssrkAiI/AAAAAAAAAdU/0IU8lLdV88o/s400/Scotty1.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-17-2009, 07:06 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,981,852 times
Years ago I brought this up to a co-worker who was of Irish ancestry as I marveled at his brilliant red beard below his wispy blond head. He was highly offended and refuted my assertion. Being an African-American I am acutely aware of the many bloods in my family line, both from seduction or force.
It's pretty hard to be from an island nation, no matter how warrior-like, and not have been infiltrated. I understand that "Dublin" is a Norse name.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:14 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,500,902 times
Well an entire region of eastern England was named after the Danes who inhabited it during the Viking age i.e. The Danelaw region. Also here's a DNA study showing that around 50% of the bloodline in NW England is of scandanavian.

Viking Blood Courses Thru The Veins Of Many A Northwest Englander - Science Daily

Old 09-17-2009, 08:26 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,500,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Years ago I brought this up to a co-worker who was of Irish ancestry as I marveled at his brilliant red beard below his wispy blond head. He was highly offended and refuted my assertion. Being an African-American I am acutely aware of the many bloods in my family line, both from seduction or force.
It's pretty hard to be from an island nation, no matter how warrior-like, and not have been infiltrated. I understand that "Dublin" is a Norse name.
Tcrackly,

you might find this interesting as a specific african haplotype hgA1 is found in Britain today which was brought over sometime over 250 years ago to the time of the Romans as some scientists are pondering if it was do to the black Roman soilders who served in southern england in the garrisons when the western empire was inhabiting it around 400 A.D. just before they were called back in 410 A.D. to fight the Goths.

First Genetic Evidence Of Long Lived African Presence Within Britain - Science Daily

Old 09-17-2009, 08:42 AM

13,499 posts, read 18,084,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
I understand that "Dublin" is a Norse name.
I believe that Dublin is from the Irish "dubh linn," black pool. I think I have read that it referred to a wide place in the LIffey.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:10 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,981,852 times
I stand corrected. Thank you, Kevxu.
And 6 foot 3, I've no doubt there was an long standing African presence in western Europe. Sailing across the Mediterranean is no big feat. The Roman empire granted citizenship to those conquered few that totally assimilated were allowed a higher status. Shakespeare penned Othello from some kind of personal experience.
In my own family tree there is the blood of Celts and Englishmen and the proof is no farther than my view in the mirror. So, I , too, have a long distance connection to the Danes. Skoal!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History