Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 07:02 PM

13 posts, read 21,193 times

Advertisements

The Destruction of a Civilization
The US War against Iraq
by James Petras*
Baghdad was considered the ’Paris’ of the Arab world, in terms of culture and art, science and education. The destruction of the scientific, academic, cultural and legal foundations of an independent state means increasing reliance on the Western multinational corporations and their technical infrastructure, thereby facilitating imperial economic penetration and exploitation. In this piece, James Petras analyses the forces, strategies and converging interests that have contributed to the deliberate dismemberment of Iraqi society at every level.

Last edited by Thyra; 09-27-2009 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: Copyrite issue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 09:21 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck27 View Post
The US War against Iraq
by James Petras*
Baghdad was considered the ’Paris’ of the Arab world, in terms of culture and art, science and education. The destruction of the scientific, academic, cultural and legal foundations of an independent state means increasing reliance on the Western multinational corporations and their technical infrastructure, thereby facilitating imperial economic penetration and exploitation. In this piece, James Petras analyses the forces, strategies and converging interests that have contributed to the deliberate dismemberment of Iraqi society at every level.
"Paris of the Arab world" is akin to saying that "Enrico is the very best hockey player in all of Guatemala."

The Arab world had incredible culture...about 1,000 years ago. It has done nothing, accomplished nothing for the past 500. Only the Ottomans stand out in that region, and the Turks consider the term Arab an insult.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:15 AM

13 posts, read 21,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
"Paris of the Arab world" is akin to saying that "Enrico is the very best hockey player in all of Guatemala."

The Arab world had incredible culture...about 1,000 years ago. It has done nothing, accomplished nothing for the past 500. Only the Ottomans stand out in that region, and the Turks consider the term Arab an insult.
In French they say: the mother of the idiots is always pregnant.
FC46B: Muslim civilization in Spain (711-1492) - The Flow of History

The Arab civilization was precursor to the Renaissance.
Read History instead of the Talmud.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:30 AM

78,338 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
The US War against Iraq
by James Petras*
As idiotic as the war has been, I think Mr. Petras is starting with a conclusion and trying to ram his square peg into a round hole. Pretty weak explanation for the war.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:34 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
In French they say: the mother of the idiots is always pregnant.
FC46B: Muslim civilization in Spain (711-1492) - The Flow of History

The Arab civilization was precursor to the Renaissance.
Read History instead of the Talmud.
Oh, so you can't actually dispute what I have posted, so you now have to resort to quoting French proverbs? That's kind of lame. I have actually studied Arab history. I am familiar with the architectural glories of the Caliphate. I also am quite familiar with the Arab world's preservation of many of the classics of classical thought, almost certainly more so than you are.

However, given the fact that I am apparently more familiar with the Caliphate than you are, I will point out that it slowly squandered all of its wealth after its initial frenzied conquests. The Arab world, which originally embraced the best of rationalist thinking from the Greeks and Romans and made scientific advances, began to ossify and be fat, happy, and contented.

History never sleeps, my friend. From the Atlantic to the Persian Gulf. The Arab world is now a colossal societal failure, left behind for half a millennium because of its torpor, its addiction to religious fundamentalism, and its overall failure to adapt. And, what's more, unless some miracle happens, the Arab world will fall further and further behind. Not victim to some Western plot, or some byzantine scheming by the Israelis, but because of its own inherent flaws. Sorry.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:35 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
I think Sadaam Hussien has to share some of the guilt for his own downfall. Not satisfied with all oof the aid we gave him during his attack on IRAN, he chose to turn on the hand that fed him. Those who supported him, mostly Sunnis and Christians are now paying for their own actions.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:08 PM

78,338 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I think Sadaam Hussien has to share some of the guilt for his own downfall. Not satisfied with all oof the aid we gave him during his attack on IRAN, he chose to turn on the hand that fed him. Those who supported him, mostly Sunnis and Christians are now paying for their own actions.
He'd still be in power if he'd left Kuwait alone. He was largely untouchable and played us against the Russians and vice-versa.

Heck, without the Kuwait invasion it wouldn't shock me if he'd be sitting with Pres. Obama sometime during his presidency cutting some sort of oil deal.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:25 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Well I got a laugh out of the "Baghdad was the Paris of the Arab World" and went no further, all credibility was lost...what century exactly are we talking about?...or should I ask what alternative universe are we talking about?

Looks like this Cannuck is trying to spam this site with cut-n-pastes that fit some kind of political agenda. Newbies! *sigh*

Old 09-28-2009, 01:41 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,631,833 times
In many ways, Iraq in modern times ie last 20 years was extremely porgressive.

Iraq had the highest level of university graduates in the Islamic world and its numbers surpassed many western societies.
Womens rights and womens participation in Iraqi society was far higher than the rest of the Islamic world.
Iraq also permitted a higher level of religious freedom to non-Islamic religions, compared to other Islamic countries.

Of course, Iraq's history and contribution to the world as the cradle of civilisation is well documented.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:17 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,652,146 times
When the Oil runs out, and the Western World abandons the Middle East and pushes the ignore button on thier retoric, they will revert to living in tents, riding camels and stoning each other to death.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History