Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2009, 04:48 AM

759 posts, read 3,143,808 times

Advertisements

My 8 1/2 year old son has an interest in WWII since I've been telling him about various relatives who died in the war. His great uncle was on a sub that was bombed by the Japanese and his great grandfather died in the Bataan death march.

Does anyone know of any good WWII documentaries that we can watch together? I've tried to look up some on Amazon, but there are such varying opinions that I don't know which one to choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 07:47 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,661,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
My 8 1/2 year old son has an interest in WWII since I've been telling him about various relatives who died in the war. His great uncle was on a sub that was bombed by the Japanese and his great grandfather died in the Bataan death march.

Does anyone know of any good WWII documentaries that we can watch together? I've tried to look up some on Amazon, but there are such varying opinions that I don't know which one to choose.
The History Channel has some good stuff on from time to time and with Veterans day coming up I'm sure there will be several shows on. My personal favorite is the Military Channel. There is excellent information on almost every day. Many of the documentaries that you can purchase are aired on this channel. It's been many years since I watched any of the shows so my memory may not be accurate, but The World at War was a whole series on the Second World War. I thought it was well done.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:19 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,401,098 times
I looked at Amazon today and on the web...not much, especially for that age. Something age appropriate for an 8 year old.. he does not have to see the really graphic scenes.. My thought would be to visit the library..I'm sure they could help you find something.. and you could sit and read it together,
I have nothing against videos or movies, but I much prefer to read to a child

Old 11-04-2009, 08:24 PM

900 posts, read 672,787 times
World at War is a great series, but I'm not sure it's suitable for an 8 year old. The old Victory at Sea series is pretty good and can be found at most video stores at a fairly reasonable price. Again, it might be slightly beyond the grasp of an 8 year old.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
World at War is a great series, but I'm not sure it's suitable for an 8 year old. The old Victory at Sea series is pretty good and can be found at most video stores at a fairly reasonable price. Again, it might be slightly beyond the grasp of an 8 year old.
I meant Victory at Sea, thanks

Old 11-05-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudy Rose View Post
I looked at Amazon today and on the web...not much, especially for that age. Something age appropriate for an 8 year old.. he does not have to see the really graphic scenes.. My thought would be to visit the library..I'm sure they could help you find something.. and you could sit and read it together,
I have nothing against videos or movies, but I much prefer to read to a child
What I'm referring to on the Military Channel are the shows like Greatest Aircraft, etc. Not graphic at all. Dogfight is another good show. They do digital reenactments of actual dogfights and interview the pilots who flew those missions. There are plenty of shows that have little or no graphic scenes. I enjoy reading as well, but you have to look at it from an 8 year olds perspective. To actually see how a machine performs or to see the evasive maneuvering that was used to get out of a dire situation can never be put into words. Also when you see the interview with the man who lived through it all is what leaves an impression.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:54 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
I too am looking for something general for a 7 year old about WWI but so many films show footage of concentration camps and mass graves. I remember seeing this on a Walter Cronkite show in the 60's and I was in highschool and couldn't handle it.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:58 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Victory at sea is a pretty stright series. it really glosses over the terrible parts and keeps them to a minimum ;compared to the real facts. Maybe you would be better off just showing him some movies because I saw it when i was very young and had no problem handling the worse parts and thought it was necesasry to start a understanding of the war not being two knights fighting. It made me understand the real sacrifices made by the young men. Got me interested in history in fact.Movie might be better for a 7 year old now days tho but we knew that the war was terrible from hearing it straight from the veterans so where not shocked at all.Too abd you do not live in Texas because the Museum of the pacfic war in Fredericksberg Tx ;Nimitz home town;is a terrific experience for anyone to see.

Last edited by texdav; 11-06-2009 at 09:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History