Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 06:54 PM

1,308 posts, read 2,865,397 times

Advertisements

Atlantis. It never existed but it has had vast effect on literature and culture for thousands of years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 11:20 AM

66 posts, read 91,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
If we define 'civilizations' as cultures with monumental architecture, complex social stratification, a writing system, etc., then the Celts and their cultural inheritors (Celt-Iberians, Gaels and Britons) and the medieval Norse and relations (Vikings and Anglo-Saxons) must be ignored.

That being the case, I would have to choose the Roman Republic followed by the early Greeks and Minoans.

ABQConvict

Celt-Iberians had a complex scripture. They wrote in Celtic using Iberian alfabet. They had complex social stratification and large cities.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:54 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
Looks like History forum favorite Leovigildo/Nosferatu is back from the ''Banned'' confines .

As for the Iberian alphabet .... i didn't realize that there was just ''one'' since there were so many different celtic tribes (38) thru out the peninsula.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:11 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
The oppida in which some of the Celtiberians dwelt, even in the late period of Celtiberian dominance in north-central Iberia, could hardly be called 'cities' even by Roman contemporary definitions. As trade increased with Roman dominion over the Iberian peninsula, these oppida grew into cities populated by people of Celtiberian stock, but it would be more proper to describe them as Roman cities and a product of Roman civilization.

Also, while they did have writing, that is only one factor of classification of a culture as a civilization and their social stratification in the pre-Roman era was the typical 'Warrior elite'-'freemen'-'thrall' system common to almost all pre-civilized Indo-European groups.

ABQConvict

Old 12-12-2009, 10:53 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Here are my thoughts:

I am usually intrigued by the topic of ancient civilizations. It's always fun too me to learn how these people lived and how there daily lives went.

The Greeks is probably the civilization I most admire. Many philosophical and political structures that are used today were started by the Greeks. Some of these include democracy and parliament.

However, the most exciting about the Greeks to me is their architecture and religion. I am always fascinated by the stories of Greek mythology, as the elaborate architecture.

Other civilizations I also admire are the Romans, Egyptians, Aztec, Mayans, Indus and the Han Dynasty.

What are your favorite civilizations??
they all have their value.

The ones I probably like learning more about though are the Greeks, some of the stuff from Western Europe, the Mid East (persia, Iraq) and some West Africa stuff-- which seems to be the least explored.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:59 AM

I prefer Hebrew culture who gave us much of our modern values. The greek value system is one I find depressing - it has made its way into modern thought but not in a way that benefits society IMHO.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:08 PM

The Hebrews undoubtedly influenced the values of Western civilization through Christianity, but modern society in the West has not appropriated the values of either the Hebrews or the Greeks wholesale. And those that have been ingrained into our civilization experience flows and ebbs of popularity. For example, an-eye-for-an-eye (a Hebrew value) is gaining in popularity as evidenced by U.S. foreign policy, while rationality, (a Greek value) is on the decline as evidencced by the growing popularity of End-Times prophesies in American religious thought.

ABQConvict

Old 12-12-2009, 03:11 PM

I would argue that christian belief dominated Western values from the 4th century to the last few decades (and remains the most single influential system of values now). It in turn is dominated by the moral code set down in the Hebrew books, most obviously the ten commandments which defines to a large extent our understanding of right and wrong.

Ancient Greeks, who had very different values, have had some impact from the Renissanse on, but its in now way comparable.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:05 PM

While I agree that the 10 commandments has been perhaps the single most important document in laying out a basis for a legalistic moral code in the West, most of the 10 commandments are not unique to the Hebrews. Stealing, killing, committing adultery, etc. were intolerable according to the social mores of pre-Christian Europeans is pretty well attested in European pre-Christian history and mythology.

Furthermore, the basis for the legal enforcement of the morals set out by the 10 commandments (at least in NW Europe and its descendants) is thoroughly Germanic: Legal courts (hearings with legal representation), juries comprised of the defendant's peers, law making bodies made up of representatives like congress and parliaments, etc.

ABQConvict

Old 12-13-2009, 07:53 PM

Someone forgot to to tell the Romans that Its also not my read of Greek or Roman mythology at all. They seem to exult sexuality, theft and murder. Certainly these were conmonly seen very differently in the pre-christian Roman world. The concern for the needy, which really has no role in greek and roman mythology and the higher status for women set christianity apart from Roman traditions, according even to critics of the movement by pagans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History