Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 04:26 AM

45,374 posts, read 60,561,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I tend to think not. Too many enemies to kill, too large a camp to just blaze through one end and out the other. The further Reno's troops penetrated into the camp, the more scattered they would have become engaging individual resisters. The more scattered they became, the less effective their shock tactics would have been. I figure that Reno evaluated the situation properly and his retreat to the defensive is what saved him from Custer's fate.
Plus, Reno only had 120 or so men in his detachment, so the above is very true. Another poster also mentioned the horse holders, that also was true. Cavalry tactics also dictated dismounting when an objective was reached and forming a skirmish line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 04:37 PM

1,308 posts, read 2,865,397 times
Given the number of warriars in the camp, the terrain, and the division of the 7th I think its likely had Reno pressed on he would have been destroyed with custer.

If, as some recent accounts suggest, Custer was aware of Reno's problems before he pressed on, the question is not why reno did not go to custer's help. Its why custer did not go to his.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:49 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,458,564 times
I think it was prophesied in Revelation that Custer would die and Reno and Benteen would avoid disaster. At least that's how I interpret it. I expect that this will be accepted as a legitimate historical argument, of course.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:10 PM

Well Reno had his career wrecked so he did not really avoid disaster. And no one remembers Benteen....

Old 12-19-2009, 08:23 PM

A sign that your about to have a really bad day....

Quote:
The plan quickly fell apart when Northern Cheyenne and Lakota Native American warriors, rather than fleeing as the cavalrymen expected, poured out of the village to meet Reno's attack.
oops....

Quote:
Reno ordered his troops to dismount and form a skirmish line, but that was quickly outflanked by hundreds of Indians, and Reno fell back into the timber along the river.
I am reminded the classic scene is Zulu Dawn when Burt Lancaster (playing Col Dunsford I think) orders his men to dismount when they encounter thousands of zulus and his men look at him like he is crazy 13 of Reno's command won the Medal of Honor....

Marcus Reno - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-19-2009, 08:52 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,159 times
Two thoughts: #1 I wonder if Reno had been whipped out if all the movies and books would have been about him?

#2 I watched they died with thier boots on today, the slide that Errol Flynn's horse does before the last stand was most impessive

Old 12-20-2009, 05:28 PM

My question about the Flynn movie is if there is anything historically accurate in the entire movie. Well I guess he fought in the Union army. Its amazing how badly they get the facts wrong (they even have him meet his wife in the wrong place and have the bizare scene where he takes command of a brigade by mistake) but then Hollywood was not interested in realism in the thirties.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:55 PM

45,374 posts, read 60,561,367 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGohz...eature=related

Believe it or not this movie was what made me interested in US History, specifically the Plains Wars. I first saw it when I was 6 or so.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:57 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
My Dad was from Harrison County, Ohio, and my grandmother was born in New Rumley in 1902 and would talk about Custer's "kin" so I've been studying Custer for many years now.

Anyone from that area knows they are some of the hardest-headed people God ever put on the Earth. Something my Dad would freely admit to and laugh about. Grandma had other ideas. Which I always felt just proved my point.

Custer, in my very humble opinion, simply could not believe and refused to believe that there were that many Indians out there.

Fascinating to read through your posts!

The city hall in Cadiz, OH has two portraits in the lobby. One is Custer. The second is the other famous "local boy" Clark Gable. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:22 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twopenny View Post
I see so many do not know the history of what happened.
Oh I know the story, I have a full shelf of Custer books. Don't assume that because someone has a different view than you that they don't know the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History