Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 11:01 PM

4,699 posts, read 4,041,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noetsi View Post
Rather than argue back and forth with tony t about how well the Italian army fought in the second world or well regarded they were by their opponents, I will suggest any interested to read historical accounts of how well they performed and judge for themselves.
I wasn't aware that we were having an argument nor was I attempting to provoke one. I'm sorry if you feel I was trying to do that.

The only intent behind my posts was to provide an alternative take on things based on information I have accumulated through many years of reading and looking more closely at the subject. Like you, not only would I suggest but I would encourage people who are serious about military history to delve into not just Italy's role in the war, but the other Axis members as well. There are so many interesting facts and stories to be found there. I find it sad that the mainstream histories of the war, for whatever reason, have chosen to omit or ignore them. But the stories are out there. You will just have to dig really deep to find them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 10:54 AM

1,308 posts, read 2,865,653 times
Perhaps argument was not the best word. We were disagreeing on a specific issue and backing our statements up with available facts. Whatever that is

If someone here has a spare thousand or so I reccomend purchasing the Advanced Squad leader system and playing it. It gives a perspective on the combatents that no reading of history can match. Its actually positive about the fighting ability of the Italians compared to much of written history, but its painfully obvious from it that the Italians lacked adequate tanks, artillery and even small arms to fight effectively. Given "half a chance" (as one scenario is labeled) such as during periods of the Nov 1941 British offensive or in Rome in 43 against Germans they performed well. But normally they had no chance, their leadership and equipment was simply hopelessly outmatched and the troops realized this.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:42 PM

Old 01-05-2010, 04:09 PM

If you go to this link and download Action Pack 1 the first scenario (the Ring) has an example of Russian calvary in April 1945

MultimanPublishing.com

Old 02-10-2010, 01:26 PM

4 posts, read 7,210 times
Calvary (Golgotha), is a hill where they crucified our Lord.

Cavalry is a mounted soldier, in latter days can mean mounted on armour or helicopter.

How can you talk about it, if you can't even spell it!!!

I know that the German army had cavalry in all theatres of war. Indeed the OKW was raising cavalry (mounted) units as late as Spring 1945.

I would be very interested to know more on this one.

Last edited by STEENIE_0; 02-10-2010 at 01:35 PM..

Old 02-11-2010, 10:55 AM

248 posts, read 616,152 times
Transportation in Western Europe during the 30's still relied heavely on horses, mules and donkeys.

Horse Cavalry? Fighting? No, Horse Cavalry was rather a sport for the Military. Still is.

The Charge of the Polish Cavalry is not true.

Spanish volunteers in the Russian front only saw horses, and not even that since they had to walk to the front from Poland. They were forced to take care of their horses, something they hated since they considered it as "demeaning".

Mules are used by all western armies. I know that Americans used mules in Vietnam because they bought those mules in Spain. I think, not sure, that they still buy mules from Spain.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:05 PM

I am not sure if the US used mules in Vietnam I have never seen any documentation for this; they may have given them to the Vietnamese. They did use elephants. Mules were used by US mountain troops in the second world war I believe.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:59 AM

248 posts, read 616,152 times
Yes, Commander Annibal Lexter and his faithful Dumbo chased gooks all along the border between Shangri La and Laos.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:02 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neng View Post
Yes, Commander Annibal Lexter and his faithful Dumbo chased gooks all along the border between Shangri La and Laos.

Chased What?...

Old 02-12-2010, 10:40 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noetsi View Post
I am not sure if the US used mules in Vietnam I have never seen any documentation for this; they may have given them to the Vietnamese. They did use elephants. Mules were used by US mountain troops in the second world war I believe.
While I don't know if the mules were actually used in Vietnam I do know that the Special Forces were (are ?) trained to use mules for transportion and carrying supplies.

As you stated, mules were widely used in the Italian theater. The 10th Mountain Division's reconnissance troop was horse mounted until early 1945 when they became mechanized. There was at least 1 charge by horse mounted US troops in Austria in 1945 but I believe this was an ad hoc area created unit rather then an officially established cavalry or mounted infantry unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History