U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2010, 08:20 AM

3,567 posts, read 3,822,618 times

Advertisements

[quote]CNN) -- Miep Gies, who ensured the diary of Anne Frank did not fall into the hands of Nazis after the teen's arrest, has died. She was 100. Gies was among a team of Dutch citizens who hid the Frank family of four and four others in a secret annex in Amsterdam, Netherlands, during World War II, according to her official Web site, which announced her death Monday. She worked as a secretary for Anne Frank's father, Otto, in the front side of the same Prinsengracht building.
The family stayed in the secret room from July 1942 until August 4, 1944, when they were arrested by Gestapo and Dutch police after being betrayed by an informant. Two of Gies' team were arrested that day, but she and her friend, Bep Voskuijl, were left behind -- and found 14-year-old Anne's papers.

Miep Gies, Anne Frank protector, dies at 100 - CNN.com
http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe...ies/index.html
]
She was a true hero. Rest in Peace. It is so sad.

Last edited by Thyra; 01-12-2010 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: Please just a few lines and a link, not the entire article
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 08:29 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,998,997 times
I am sure the Frank family will be greeting her with open arms. Mrs. Gies is what we as human beings should all aspire to be. The world is a little less with her passing. Godspeed Miep.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:35 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,346,221 times
What she and all of the other "protectors" (Corrie Ten Boom comes to mind) did can not be under-estimated. God bless her! Thank you, Miep.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:49 PM

900 posts, read 515,331 times
People of true courage, who took unbelievable risks just because it was the right thing to do. Unfortunately there just weren't enough of them.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:14 PM

2,377 posts, read 4,752,320 times
And let's not forget Schindler, who saved so many Jewish people.
Schindler's List Home Page

Old 01-14-2010, 04:39 PM

19,656 posts, read 13,289,690 times
I had heard she traveled the world speaking of this story after WWII ended and I'm truly glad for that. She preserved one of the most widely read documents of the entire 20th Century, the diaries of Anne Frank. After visiting where she hid for so many months I was amazed at how cramped and confined the attic was. However, due to the very narrow rooms it was clear that room in these homes was all concentrated upward, and it made it easy to see how someone could go undetected if you closed off a portion of your upper level, such as where the staircase is. I seem to remember that it was covered with a bookcase and other assorted items. Imagine climbing a ladder straight up and you get an idea how it was to enter the attic where she lived for over 2 years I believe.

I'm waiting to hear what becomes of the tree that Anne wrote about as she gazed at it out her window. I believe it has died and was to be cut down but someone intervened to stop it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or