Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2012, 03:58 PM

417 posts, read 1,128,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noetsi View Post
Americans as a nation have limited interest in history. Few now remember the sixties let alone the 19th century. We live in the now not the past, which has benefits and problems.
Problems, yes. Benefits? Well........ I think the future generations will have to be the judge of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 03:49 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,246,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us2indaup View Post
Problems, yes. Benefits? Well........ I think the future generations will have to be the judge of that.
I've always felt like a lone wolf sitting there with my history reading and seeing things differently than most. I read a lot of memiours and lately have been finding diaries fascinating. Mostly POW stuff but its the current fascination.

I remember expressing my view in the 80's, when someone said that the Soviet Union was unbreakable, that it was very young. And when its people were not molified by enough comforts to make up for the rest it would start to crumple. My son was born the day it died. I went to the hospital not knowing what happened, and one of the first things I asked was what happened. But I was looking at a big picture. They were looking at the small one, and the visible one.

I often read people saying things about history in absolutes. We really do need to teach it better or we become a bunch of sheep who are used to thinking in black and white and with all the right buzzwords and who thus can be controlled so much more easily.

Life and history is written in tones of grey, but we have to know something about both to understand that.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:57 PM

3,484 posts, read 6,506,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarej View Post
Damien Dempsey has a song called Choctaw Nation the help did not go unnoticed.
Simply put, and in the words of John Wayne, "Not hardly!" To this very day there is a strong bond between the Irish Republic and the Choctaw Nation. Speaking as one who is half Choctaw and one-quarter Scots-Irish, I say "Hurrah!"

Our (my?) two nations have a lot in common, not the least of which is our common and principal foe...

Old 02-11-2012, 01:58 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
True...and because the Irish pulled themselves up the ladder one rung at a time and educated their children, worked hard and advanced many do not believe how brutal the original immigrants were treated
The NINA stuff is a bit of a myth. Sure, there was a good deal of discrimination against the Irish in the states up through about 1920. But unfortunately, the Irish seemed to turn right around and become the oppressors once they got to the states. The NYC Draft Riots and the brutal racism of early 20th century police forces speaks to that.

Richard J. Jensen - "No Irish Need Apply": A Myth of Victimization - Journal of Social History 36:2

Old 02-11-2012, 02:06 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,178,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
The NINA stuff is a bit of a myth. Sure, there was a good deal of discrimination against the Irish in the states up through about 1920. But unfortunately, the Irish seemed to turn right around and become the oppressors once they got to the states. The NYC Draft Riots and the brutal racism of early 20th century police forces speaks to that. ---
Not surprising in the least, it was part and parcel of the American way of life. And, furthermore, it gave the Irish a foot on the ladder right above the blacks, instead of fighting for the same one.

My mother came from a foreign country, never saw a black person. She was horribly prejudiced against blacks when I was growing up. She learned it here, it was just another way of being like her neighbors.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:03 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,334,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
To this very day there is a strong bond between the Irish Republic and the Choctaw Nation. Speaking as one who is half Choctaw and one-quarter Scots-Irish, I say "Hurrah!"
The Scots-Irish were lowland Scots who were culturally and genetically mostly Anglo-Saxon. More English than the English one might say.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The Scots-Irish were lowland Scots who were culturally and genetically mostly Anglo-Saxon. More English than the English one might say.
Don't know about the genetic stuff. Always thought Scots were substantially Celtic as well. Regardless, the Scots-Irish were least affected by the Famine. Population actually increased in Belfast during the 1840s. The Scots Irish and their descendants are the basis of the entire Northern Irish conflict.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:31 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,246,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Don't know about the genetic stuff. Always thought Scots were substantially Celtic as well. Regardless, the Scots-Irish were least affected by the Famine. Population actually increased in Belfast during the 1840s. The Scots Irish and their descendants are the basis of the entire Northern Irish conflict.
From what I've read, both decend from the same early Celts. The Irish went Catholic. The Scots became prodestent. In an effort to found a protestent foothold in Ireland, the English founded Belfast, which was origionally scots. But they intermarried and adopted local customs and became the core of protestent Ireland.

You could be picky and say those who moved there came only since the British decided to found Belfast.

The scots irish in the US, who many many of us are descended from, came early as farmers and spread from the east to the Apalatachias which now encompass three states, Kentucky, West Virginia and Tennessee. The poor scots and the poor Irish mixed their cultures and made a unique one which retained parts of both. I have one grandmother who was scots-irish and her surname is scots.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
From what I've read, both decend from the same early Celts. The Irish went Catholic. The Scots became prodestent. In an effort to found a protestent foothold in Ireland, the English founded Belfast, which was origionally scots. But they intermarried and adopted local customs and became the core of protestent Ireland.

You could be picky and say those who moved there came only since the British decided to found Belfast.
Belfast and the other settlements, yes. Aside from a few British officials in Dublin, there were no Protestants in Ireland until the plantation of Northern settlements in the 1600s. So the two groups - The Irish Catholics and the Scots-Irish - are very different and hostile groups who are still very segregated today.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:24 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,319,017 times
It's interesting to reflect on the fact that England's cruelty to Ireland during the famine, followed by the massive emigration from Ireland to the US, resulted in an America much less sympathetic to British interests than she might have been (e.g., the late entries into both world wars), had the Irish urban political class in US cities not held in their collective memories an enduring hatred for Imperial Britain, and influenced American policy and opinion in ways antithetical to England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History