U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-03-2010, 10:36 AM

12,934 posts, read 22,218,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudy Rose View Post
Naht me
Your such a Visigoth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-03-2010, 11:00 AM

2,377 posts, read 3,177,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Ok, I know Russia is a country or nation...
But is Russian a language as well?

What language do Russians speak?
There are many different forms of "Russian" Here is an interesting article:Slavic languages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It gives the many variations and the areas where it is spoken.

Unread 03-03-2010, 11:02 AM

2,377 posts, read 3,177,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Your such a Visigoth
Yes, Goth is me...but don't forget the Iceni branch

Unread 03-03-2010, 11:13 AM

2,792 posts, read 2,414,777 times
Quote:
Ok, I know Russia is a country or nation...
But is Russian a language as well?

What language do Russians speak?
Russians speak Russian language

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
I believe Russian is Slav ... however Russia is not my area of study as someone else would know better than me and could help you more about that as my interest of history is in ancient western Europe .
Slav is a broad ethnic/cultural/linguistic family. Russian language belongs to the Slavic language family, as do Polish, Ukrainian, Bulgarian, Czech, Slovakian, and others.

This is similar to how English belongs to the German language family, along with German (duh), Dutch, Swedish, Danish, and others. French, Spanish, Italian and Romanian belong to the family of Romance languages (descendants of Latin).

All of the above belong to the even broader Indo-European language group.

Unread 03-03-2010, 02:00 PM

3,359 posts, read 2,785,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane View Post
I like American history. The American Civil War, late 19th and early to mid-20th century, including Depression and World War 2. Not so much military strategy, as just how people lived and how they thought, the social movements, and technology. I also am somewhat of an authority on the middle-Atlantic USA region including Virginia, Maryland, and Wash. D.C. as well as on African-American history. And I know something about ethnic family names. Have also read extensively on Nazi Germany.
Let's say you work for CNN...but back during the American Civil war...

If I were to ask you what was going on around the world in other areas, what would your report reveal...

More specifically, Russia...I mean it seems we don't hear to much about Russia having an impact on world history until the cold war period...

What were they up to say in 1850?
And why were they not interested in participating in the world wide slave trade back then?
What drove their society and or economy back then?

Can the kind of government they had back then, be compared to anything we see today?

These questions are for anyone who might have knowledge in that area...

Unread 03-03-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Russians speak Russian language

Slav is a broad ethnic/cultural/linguistic family. Russian language belongs to the Slavic language family, as do Polish, Ukrainian, Bulgarian, Czech, Slovakian, and others.

This is similar to how English belongs to the German language family, along with German (duh), Dutch, Swedish, Danish, and others. French, Spanish, Italian and Romanian belong to the family of Romance languages (descendants of Latin).

All of the above belong to the even broader Indo-European language group.
MrMarbles ... thanks for the info as i knew it was related to the Slav family but i admit i just haven't studied much about Russia like i should have.

Also i know that a band of Vikings called the Rus founded Novgorod as i believe their Rus name is the basis for the word Russian or people of the Rus ... correct or not?

Unread 03-03-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudy Rose View Post
Yes, Goth is me...but don't forget the Iceni branch
How could i forget

Unread 03-03-2010, 03:01 PM

935 posts, read 674,967 times
Quote:
Also i know that a band of Vikings called the Rus founded Novgorod as i believe their Rus name is the basis for the word Russian or people of the Rus ... correct or not?
yes

Unread 03-03-2010, 03:22 PM

775 posts, read 1,384,756 times
Question: "More specifically, Russia...I mean it seems we don't hear to much about Russia having an impact on world history until the cold war period...

What were they up to say in 1850?
And why were they not interested in participating in the world wide slave trade back then?
What drove their society and or economy back then?"

Answer: In 1850, Russia was fighting the "Crimean War" which, I think, also involved Great Britain, France, and the Ottoman Empire (Turkey). "Crimea" is a peninsula next to the Black Sea (now it's part of "Ukraine"). The Crimean War saw the birth of the International Red Cross by Florence Nightingale and a Swiss man, and the Charge of the Light Brigade, and was the first war in history to be recorded on camera.

Russia for centuries had its own slaves (fellow Russian peasants). - - they were called "serfs". They were not freed until the late 1800s. Don't know how Africans would adapt to the cold climate throughout Russia.

Last edited by slowlane; 03-03-2010 at 04:26 PM..

Unread 03-03-2010, 03:31 PM

775 posts, read 1,384,756 times
Quote:
Something that has always baffled me, is how could countries so bunched up together, develop such different languages...Such as Spain, France, and Italy...

Also, I just looked at a map or Europe...and for some reason, I always visioned Greece as being located in the upper Mid-west of Europe, and not in the southern east of Western Europe...
And I've always visioned Poland being to the West of Germany...not to the east...

Nor did I realize France was so large...

The divisions between languages were not always so concrete as today. In southern France there was the Provencal dialect, and just across the border from it around Barcelona, Spain border region there was (and still is) the Catalan dialect or language (which they are very proud of today). As I understand it, these two languages are both kind of transitional stages between, and linking, standard French and standard Spanish. In Germany, the "low" dialect of the northwest border area, especially the Frisian islands I've been told is similar to Dutch of the Netherlands. Up in the "Turin" corner area of Italy near France, they speak a version of Italian called "Piedmontese" with a French accent or influence. In the northwest corner of Spain "Galicia" I've heard their dialect is more like Portuguese. In Alsace area of France, many people have German surnames. Italians speak with many dialects (Sicilian is especially distinctive) but they all understand standard Italian. Along the border of northeast Italy and southeast Switzerland they speak "Friulian" or "Romanish" dialect which is dwindling in use. And everywhere, until or after the Renaissance, the educated learned people throughout much of Europe studied and wrote in Latin. After national boundaries were formalized (in the case of Germany and Italy, this did not happen until 1870 or so), efforts were made by all these countries to adopt a standard dialect as official for the whole country, and promote its use in public education, publishing and broadcasting.

Yes -- France is very large, and parts of Southern France quite rural. The overall population density of France is lower than other Western European countries, and the country has more agriculture -- including hundreds of Wines and Cheese varieties. Read Peter Mayle's popular books including "A Year in Provence." A couple years ago, it was a big deal when France built a gigantic highway bridge above a very high rugged gorge in south-central France, which no one thought could be spanned before. It has created a great time-saving short-cut between northern and southern France. One thing by the way, I could never understand is how their leader Jacques Chirac could possibly be national Minister of Agriculture, but later became Mayor of Paris. LOL. Can you imagine the same person in our country possibly being both the U.S. Secretary of Agriculture and later the Mayor of New York City - tow jobs involving totally opposite expertises.

One thing about Greece, is it has its own alphabet which is unique only to Greece (and Cyprus) as an official language -- but is somewhat similar to the Slavic/Russian ""Cyrillic" alphabet. Greece is causing problems right now in the European Union -- it's economy is ailing, and the other, richer EU countries of northwest Europe are reluctant and resentful of subsidizing or bailing Greece out but they're kind of obligated to, since Greece is part of the EU.

The border of Poland has shifted around thru the centuries. If I'm not mistaken, Poland did not exist during the 19th century -- it was part of the Russian Empire, but the people kept their language alive. After World War I, Poland was created again as a country -- then lasted only 21 years before the Nazi's invaded it (Russian was hoping to get part of it back too). Someone correct me if I'm wrong. After Germany lost World War II, Germany was punished by having its eastermost area transferred over to Poland -- while victorious Russia was rewarded by being given the whole eastern part of Poland. Millions of Germans and Polish people were accordingly uprooted and moved into their new ethnically-assigned areas.

Last edited by slowlane; 03-03-2010 at 04:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History