U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 08:45 PM

2,377 posts, read 3,504,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemy View Post
You may find it interesting to read "Terry Jones' Barbarians....an Alternative Roman History".

Yes, this is the Terry Jones of Monty Python fame; he is also an historian.

Jones describes most of the old Roman writers as propogandists but he certainly cleared up many (for me) fuzzy points of Roman history especially the questions on why Constantine and others adopted, adapted and forcibly spread Christianity so eagerly.
Actually I have that book and enjoyed it very much...it put a whole new light on the subject
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 11:39 PM

852 posts, read 722,587 times
I growd up in North Carolina, what evebody else speaks is Greek to me.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:51 PM

4,925 posts, read 6,291,996 times
Some of the arguing about when what was and what or who was first reminds me of the old joke...
Archaeologists in New York found some old electrical wire at 5 feet and announced they'd found proof of the world's first telephone system.
Archaeologists in Pennsylvania found some old copper wiring at 10 feet and announced they'd found proof of the world's first telegraph system.
Archaeologists in Tennessee dug to a depth of 15 feet and found nothing, saying they'd found proof that Tennesseans had the world's first wireless system.

Pretty much all historical research and certainly any interpretation of historical events is done through the prism of present-day precepts.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:19 PM

3,360 posts, read 3,491,525 times
It would take a massive catastrophic event large enough to buring and hide all that current man has left behind...at no other time in history has man had such an extensive network of wires and pipes and buildings and highways, air-ports, planes, cars, dams, bridges ect ect...oh, and plastics...battle ships, sky scrapers...

Future generations will be tripping over this stuff forever...it won't be hidden from the 'new world' like structures of the past were...

Unless, like I said earlier, some earth changeing tectonic crumbling force totally buries all that is currently on the surface...Or if what is now land, somehow became underwater, and the void underwater sea scape, somehow raised and became land....

Old 03-05-2010, 08:15 PM

Here is an article that explains how mountains are formed:Mountains formed by plate convergence
And also one on continents:Continent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I think you will find them quite interesting

Old 03-06-2010, 02:22 PM

13,025 posts, read 24,458,325 times
One thing that has always puzzeled me is that when explorers and/or conquerors first met the inhabitants of a foreign land whether it was the spanards first engaging the native tribes of the caribbean islands, south and central america, or the english and french first meeting the native tribes of north america or when the vikings first raided europe or when the germanic invaders entered western europe etc. how did they communicate with the other peoples??

So when they first met historians will tell us that the invading conquerors wanted gold, land, food, water etc from the local peoples and so how in such a short notice did they communicate these wants and/or needs?

Old 03-06-2010, 03:49 PM

3,360 posts, read 3,491,525 times
I'd imagine it was through a lot of hand gesturing, like playing sharades....

Back then the needs of man were simple, so I doubt it would of been hard to convey food, water, shelter...

Old 03-07-2010, 03:37 PM

4,925 posts, read 6,291,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
One thing that has always puzzeled me is that when explorers and/or conquerors first met the inhabitants of a foreign land whether it was the spanards first engaging the native tribes of the caribbean islands, south and central america, or the english and french first meeting the native tribes of north america or when the vikings first raided europe or when the germanic invaders entered western europe etc. how did they communicate with the other peoples??

So when they first met historians will tell us that the invading conquerors wanted gold, land, food, water etc from the local peoples and so how in such a short notice did they communicate these wants and/or needs?
Many of those early communications led to quite a few misunderstandings, often over something as benign as a place name to sometimes something worse.

One apocryphal story about the naming of Canada has an early French explorer asking an Indian what the name of the place was and the Indian leading up to a tall hill, spreading his arms wide to take in the surrounding territory and saying something that sounded like "Canada". Supposedly the Indian was telling him "This is ours as far as you can see."

As far as communicating need such as food and water, I expect that would be relatively easy to accomplish; the desire for gold less so, but apparently they were able to get their point across rather quickly as before too long the Spaniards had many of the natives bringing it to them.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:18 AM

1,308 posts, read 1,591,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post

They shot or cut the heads/arms off of offending tribes with their weapons. Then they grabbed what they wanted, including commonly forcing people to work as slaves. Communication can be pretty basic at that level

Old 03-08-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noetsi View Post
They shot or cut the heads/arms off of offending tribes with their weapons. Then they grabbed what they wanted, including commonly forcing people to work as slaves. Communication can be pretty basic at that level
noetsi...Me thinks you exaggerate a bit on that one
First encounters were usually viewed by the natives with curiosity and awe..many tribes thought the foreigners were gods...not all interaction was evil on the side of whites...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History