Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2010, 04:39 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,596,039 times

Advertisements

Very little seems to be known about the Tartessos Civilization that existed in Southern Spain before the rise of Carthage. The Lonely Planet Guidebook simply mentions that they were influenced by the Phonecian colonies that existed in the area (especially that at Cadiz). However, do we now have any idea about who the Tartessos peoples were? Where was their main city? What do we really know and what is the general accepted theories. After reading much about Spanish history when I was in college, I was always struck about the lack of information written on its history before the Roman conquest. Tartessos is a big blank to me and probably most other historians...but what do we know or think we know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 10:53 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,040,399 times
I'm interested in them too.

I have read from medieval Spanish, Arabic & classical Greco-Roman sources that they could have been at least 2 expeditions of North Africans into southern Spain.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:06 AM

248 posts, read 615,856 times
lentzr

Yes, not much know about Tartessos, only some hoards found. It seems that their city is just beneath many meters of mud around Doñana National Park. Yes, they were known by Phoenicians and Greeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History