Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 03:41 PM

897 posts, read 1,688,138 times

Advertisements

I think if Germany would have won WW1 Poland, Belorussia,the Ukraine and the Baltic states would have been independence buffer states between the German Empire and the USSR. German would also have gained Colonies in Africa and Asia. Austria-Hungary would probably have been granted their claims in Italy and the Balkans while the Ottoman Empire would have had gains in the Caucasus and regained what they lost in 1912 to the Baltic Nations.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:35 PM

1,308 posts, read 2,864,865 times
Turtledove would have to write books about how they lost.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:41 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,110,503 times
Klaus Kinski wouldn't have had to make English language movies.

And those piggyback Italians would have been utterly insufferable.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:37 PM

65 posts, read 239,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noetsi View Post
Turtledove would have to write books about how they lost.
love those books!

Old 04-19-2010, 06:59 PM

1,308 posts, read 2,864,865 times
Those books drive me crazy.

lol GS about the Italians....

Old 04-20-2010, 02:47 AM

472 posts, read 925,017 times
Flemish and Walloons in Belgium have someone else to complain about besides each other. Jews and Arabs in Palestine are both on the outs with their Turkish rulers, and their terrorist groups often work in tandem.

Former Mau Mau types in Kenya (British East Africa) have a lot more ill-treatment to complain about. Lots of trouble in Africa generally between native Africans and Jewish settlers who fled to the German Empire for refuge from the massacres perpetrated by the "White" dictatorship in Russia, and were resettled in Germany's new colonies.

Some sort of "Cold War" going between Germany and the US, who were allied for a time against the Japanese, but fell out later.

Croats and Serbs are butchering each other in the Balkans. Catholics and Protestants ditto in Northern Ireland. Some things are fated to stay the same.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:15 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,401,098 times
You paint a pretty grim scene, Mike...but probably true
I'm hoping someone will come up with some scenarios that suggest some positive things that might have happened.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:04 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,675,370 times
Well, WW2 may have been avoided, that's a positive.

I think a lot of the post war would have depended on the peace that followed and how heavy the concessions were. I think you would have seen Britain lose colonies in Africa, but retain the rest of the Empire. France would have been humbled and most likely paid the highest price losing virtually all of it's remaining colonies.

Russia would be the wild card. Germany gained huge amounts of territory in the Armistice with the Soviets it would be interesting to see how they would have handled that and whether they could have succesfully integrated those territories. I think you would see a "Cold War" exist between the Soviets and the Germans for who would dominate Eastern Europe.

I think the Austro-Hungarian and Ottoman Empires would have collapsed anyway after a while. This would be one area that has the potential for igniting further wars and leading to a bloody mess depending on how hard the empires tried to hold themselves together.

The U.S. may have simply been content to turn inward again and ignore European affairs. However, conflict with Japan would seem to be unavoidable as the U.S. worked to check Japanese expansion and interests.

I'm sure we would have seen further wars, but they would most likely have been localized conflicts and not necessarily "world war" in scope.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:16 AM

472 posts, read 925,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudy Rose View Post
You paint a pretty grim scene, Mike...but probably true
I'm hoping someone will come up with some scenarios that suggest some positive things that might have happened.
Well, if there has been no WW2 in Europe (the Pacific War may still happen) that's a respectable gain.

For the rest, I wouldn't say it's any grimmer than the world we actually have. Africa, the Mideast and the Balkans are all still h---holes, just in somewhat different ways from OTL.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:23 AM

604 posts, read 750,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David674UT View Post
I think if Germany would have won WW1 Poland, Belorussia,the Ukraine and the Baltic states would have been independence buffer states between the German Empire and the USSR. German would also have gained Colonies in Africa and Asia. Austria-Hungary would probably have been granted their claims in Italy and the Balkans while the Ottoman Empire would have had gains in the Caucasus and regained what they lost in 1912 to the Baltic Nations.

The United States might not be in power as they are/were... WWII might've been detoured...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History