U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-21-2010, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,157 posts, read 26,031,348 times
Reputation: 3654
Three quick notes here:

#1: ethnic Irish or people who self identify as such are starting to become rare due to their replacement level (or below) birthrate of 2.1 children per woman.
#2: the stereotype of an Irishman not so long was the (slightly derogatory) 'Fighting Irish' logo of Notre Dame whereas today, the HARP symbolizes the Emerald Isle--------that is correct, they have changed that much as a culture.
#3: the Gypsies/Roma are; genetically speaking, E Indian, but are counted as Anglo White here in the USA despite the obvious Asian/Mestizo appearance of most of them. I know a woman of obvious Romani heritage with the high cheekbones, slanted eyes complete with epicanthic folds, dark hair, etc.; she get mistaken for American Indian/Filipina a lot. Her ancestors are Hungarian/Slovak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-21-2010, 11:00 AM
 
Location: EAST-SIDE INDIANAPOLIS
355 posts, read 470,937 times
Reputation: 148
Not saying at all they should, simply that it may be a cause. I'd be the last person to ask someone to change religion as I dont believe, but wouldnt ask anyone to change. However several hundred years ago I'd imagine people thought a different way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
38,744 posts, read 37,369,670 times
Reputation: 28722
Of course, they are most looked down upon by the English, who pretty much define the prevailing attitudes of the English-speaking world.

The Germans, for example, even look down upon the Swiss. But we read no German literature, so how could we know that? Marylanders in Baltimore look down upon the people from Garrett County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Way South of the Volvo Line
2,740 posts, read 5,004,871 times
Reputation: 2665
Quote:
Originally Posted by krsheely View Post
Does the anger toward Jews and Catholic Irish have to due with the fact that they even during periods of being oppressed will still state that they are on the right side of god or that they are the chosen people and refuse to change their ways to integrate into their occupiers? I'm not at all saying its a bad thing but more or less an argument that these two groups being hardheaded and prideful has caused backlash.

The Romanis are white.

Romani people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They ancestry does go back to southern Asia. They have a long history in Eastern Europe, since the 12th century, and for all intents and purposes are genetically a sub group of European stock.

Last edited by tcrackly; 04-21-2010 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: additional info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 11:16 AM
 
13,569 posts, read 16,485,105 times
Reputation: 11642
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Of course, they are most looked down upon by the English, who pretty much define the prevailing attitudes of the English-speaking world.

The Germans, for example, even look down upon the Swiss. But we read no German literature, so how could we know that? Marylanders in Baltimore look down upon the people from Garrett County.
It's funny with the Swiss as I had no idea how much Germans hated them.

When I was in Germany as a teenager we were in Cologne for a soccer match and it was a mixed group of American and German kids. We were on the train platform after the game and a train was stopped and a man leaned out the window and asked what the final score of the game was.

The German kids we were with started mocking him and they traded insults until the train pulled away. I asked my friend what it was all about and he said, oh he was Swiss. Roughly translated they call Swiss-German speakers "Swiss Sh*t Germans" and there is no love lost between them.

I guess it is true that the Swiss are the "red-headed step children" of Western Europe with no real cultural identity other than being Swiss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 11:33 AM
 
2,790 posts, read 3,989,414 times
Reputation: 1834
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
#3: the Gypsies/Roma are; genetically speaking, E Indian, but are counted as Anglo White here in the USA despite the obvious Asian/Mestizo appearance of most of them. I know a woman of obvious Romani heritage with the high cheekbones, slanted eyes complete with epicanthic folds, dark hair, etc.; she get mistaken for American Indian/Filipina a lot. Her ancestors are Hungarian/Slovak.
These are fighting words in my house. My husband's family is 100% Hungarian; to call them Gypsies is the quickest way to get a punch in the nose that I know of. Hungarians come from Asia, Gypsies from India.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 11:59 AM
 
Location: North Jersey
10,824 posts, read 15,172,822 times
Reputation: 6617
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
These are fighting words in my house. My husband's family is 100% Hungarian; to call them Gypsies is the quickest way to get a punch in the nose that I know of. Hungarians come from Asia, Gypsies from India.
Not all Hungarians (gadje, the word used to descibe someone who is not a gypsy) are gypsies.....LOL I always found that perplexing why people think anyone of Hungarian decent is a gypsy

and speaking of Irish they have their own gypsies, The Travellers or as some call them the Tinkers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 12:04 PM
 
501 posts, read 598,225 times
Reputation: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by krsheely View Post
Does the anger toward Jews and Catholic Irish have to due with the fact that they even during periods of being oppressed will still state that they are on the right side of god or that they are the chosen people and refuse to change their ways to integrate into their occupiers? I'm not at all saying its a bad thing but more or less an argument that these two groups being hardheaded and prideful has caused backlash.
I am thinking that the oppressors are the hardheaded and prideful ones. They conquer by force, yet are confused about why their ways are resisted? That is pretty hardheaded behavior.

And it is nothing more than false pride that would lead an oppressor to believe that their ways automatically have more merit than those of the people they conquered, simply due to the act of using superior force to conquer other humans.

Why would an oppressor think that their beliefs are the correct ones, when the only way they can gain compliance is by violence and killing, and other means of oppression? Usually people "oppress" because they seeking to gain control where they aren't wanted. Tons of examples of that out there.

It isn't exactly a good thing, but it is totally part of the human nature package to oppress. As it is for any rational person to resist such a transgression against the very core of how they live their lives, and what they believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Whiteville Tennessee
8,257 posts, read 11,029,966 times
Reputation: 9731
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Tis true
"God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world!"
Danny Joe Malone
County Clare
Clan O'Connor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
38,744 posts, read 37,369,670 times
Reputation: 28722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
"God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world!":r

Another along these lines:

"The Swiss speak a language that was invented to infuriate the Germans".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top