Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 12:33 PM

521 posts, read 1,470,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
These are fighting words in my house. My husband's family is 100% Hungarian; to call them Gypsies is the quickest way to get a punch in the nose that I know of. Hungarians come from Asia, Gypsies from India.
You learn something new every day I always thought India was in Asia - just goes to show how standards in education over here are slipping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 01:29 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,678,445 times
The Germans are still angry because in the late Middle Ages the Swiss used to kick their asses.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:47 PM

834 posts, read 2,816,833 times
Has anyone heard of these people: Melungeon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some people speculate that Elvis Presley was Melungeon. Although his dark hair and eyes could have come from his mother's great-grandparent who was Jewish.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane View Post
Has anyone heard of these people: Melungeon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some people speculate that Elvis Presley was Melungeon. Although his dark hair and eyes could have come from his mother's great-grandparent who was Jewish.

Elvis dyed his hair black; it was naturally quite a bit lighter.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:02 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,793,235 times
Quote:
Elvis dyed his hair black; it was naturally quite a bit lighter.
I read Elvis's biography years ago. I forget which movie it was, but he played a dual role in it. One character had Elvis's usual black hair, while the other was more or less blond. According to the author, Elvis's natural hair color was a shade of blond, very similar to the character in the movie, and he was very uncomfortable appearing that way.
He had light hair as a boy, and although his hair looked dark in photos from his teens, it was slicked down with a lot of Brylcreme or whatever guys used back then.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:03 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,336,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie Bar View Post
You learn something new every day I always thought India was in Asia - just goes to show how standards in education over here are slipping.
Fine,..... nit picking semantics, if you ask me. Gypsies are from India, located in South Asia. Hungarians came from Mongolia, located in East and Central Asia. Happy? But they are still worlds apart in this house.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:10 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,991,004 times
And the tribal rivalries still go on.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:22 PM

745 posts, read 1,434,056 times
Quote:
Everybody seems to love the Irish, due in no small part to the fact that the Irish are not afraid to boast about themselves as opposed to more reserved and self-deprecating groups.
Anybody that knows the Irish knows they are a self-deprecating group. Look at Irish folk music and literature I STRONGLY disagree that the Irish "boast about themselves". If there is any culture that laughs at themselves.... it is the Irish.

I also personally find Irish Americans to be far less flamboyant than a lot of other ethnicities.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:46 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,693,489 times
They are? have you visited an Irish bar in New York or Boston?

Old 04-22-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
They are? have you visited an Irish bar in New York or Boston?

Oh, the Irish Americans are far less flamboyant than Italian Americans, at least here in Chicago where most of the Irish seem to have come from the west; Mayo, Sligo and Galway. And I've met people over from Down and Armagh that are downright reserved. Wonder where they got that?

I'm under the impression that east coast Irish are more flamboyant than Chicago ones; more flamboyant but less effective. We still run Chicago.

The Poles here are feeling their oats recently and high time too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History