Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 05:24 PM

897 posts, read 1,682,628 times

Advertisements

I saw a picture years ago of one of My ancestors. He was driving a wagon and on the back of the wagon were a couple of Blacks. I think the Picture was from the 1850s,So I assume those people of the back of the wagon were their slaves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 06:17 PM

48,564 posts, read 23,997,344 times
A couple of years ago my sister got interested in family history and used Ancestry.com to dig up the records. On my father's side you found a group of North Caolinians who relocated to Missouri, bringing their four slaves with them. There were four brothers and their families and when the Civil War began, three of the brothers joined Union regiments, one of them became a regimental surgeon for the Confederates. The records indicate that all four slaves owned by the family were freed during the war, but does not provide the specifics. The Emancipation Proclamation did not cover slaves in Missouri, so they would have been freed by their owners if it happened during the war.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:19 PM

897 posts, read 1,682,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
A couple of years ago my sister got interested in family history and used Ancestry.com to dig up the records. On my father's side you found a group of North Caolinians who relocated to Missouri, bringing their four slaves with them. There were four brothers and their families and when the Civil War began, three of the brothers joined Union regiments, one of them became the regimental surgeon for the Confederates. The records indicate that all four slaves owned by the family were freed during the war, but does not provide the specifics. The Emancipation Proclamation did not cover slaves in Missouri, so they would have been freed by their owners if it happened during the war.

My Ancestors were Farmers. By the beginning of the 20th Century they were working for the Copper Mines in Copper Hill,Tennessee. I guess Mining made more than Farming.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:53 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,895,914 times
I've heard that some of my ancestors were slave owners, but I really don't know for sure.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:26 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,648,499 times
I've traced my ancestry back to an ancestor who was a friend of George Washington, living near Charlottesville, Virginia, whose will left about 50 slaves, I forget the exact number. His will exists to this day, probated in 1803. He also owned about 1,000 acres of land. That would be worth a couple of million. But, assuming about 3 heirs per generation, I would now have inherited about 1/6,000 of that, or a couple of hundred bucks.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:00 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,144,069 times
Yes, a bunch of my VA ancestors had slaves and took some along when they moved to KY and MO. One was even a fugitive slave hunter who traveled from MO into TX (when it belonged to Mexico) to capture escaped slaves in exchange for bounties paid by holders of the slaves' mortgages.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:50 AM

10,196 posts, read 17,762,421 times
Yes, similarly, my grandmother had a picture of our ancestors in Kentucky pre Civil War with some black people so she assumed they were slaves. I have since found my ancestor from the photo in the 1850 and 1860 Slave Schedule. After that, I found another ancestor also in Kentucky who was a slave owner. I would like to find out the names of the slaves but it's proved difficult, if not impossible.

Even after the Civil War, they had black servants and workers living with them on the 1870 census - so they were named now but I have no way of knowing if they were the slaves from the former censuses or not.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:07 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,031,091 times
No, no slave owners. In fact the family farm in Ohio, which has been in the family for generations, was a stop on the Underground Railroad. There was a cellar hidden underneath the barn floor where slaves were hidden as they passed further North. The remains of it can still be seen today.

My family has always been what could be called progressive. My grandparents where schoolteachers and taught classes, after WWI and into the 1940s, where they freely mixed blacks and whites in the same classroom. They believed every person, male or female, black or white, should know how to read and write. They often went to the "colored church", as it was called back then, to worship. (The "colored church" was Baptist which caused my Methodist grandparents some consternation over doctrine.)

Old 05-07-2010, 09:58 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,258,095 times
Yup, half of my family descends from a slave-holding Kentucky family, and the other half from Connecticut Yankees....

Old 05-07-2010, 11:05 AM

14,984 posts, read 23,781,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David674UT View Post
I saw a picture years ago of one of My ancestors. He was driving a wagon and on the back of the wagon were a couple of Blacks. I think the Picture was from the 1850s,So I assume those people of the back of the wagon were their slaves.
Very unlikely. Your father may have been a teamster or another farm worker, barely a level above the slave. Some of the white farm workers of those times didn't live much better thans slaves in terms of living conditions (except for the obvious and large difference of freedom). It wasn't cheap to own a slave, and those that could afford to own a slave would not likely be bothered driving a wagon to transport slaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History