Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 03:07 PM

228 posts, read 739,094 times

Advertisements

Looking for a good used tent trailer for off road camping. I don't need a very large it only needs to sleep about 4 people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 03:21 PM

17,158 posts, read 56,898,950 times
Buddy of mine in Colorado had a Coleman, not sure the vintage, it seemed to me to be OK.

I would think if you are buying used the condition of what's available and prices will influence your pick more than model and manufacturer.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:27 PM

Yeah that makes sense. I think I am leaning towards a used Coleman or Jayco. I like the newer ones that have the little pop out on the side.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:40 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,096,034 times
Over the years I've owned five different tent trailers. Two of them were Coleman's. Theirs seem to be the best and the later ones even have heat. They still leave alot to be desired when it is windy or cold. I've tried just about everything and have come to the conclusion there is no perfect camping vehicle. A cargo trailer with shelves comes about as close any anything to an all purpose rig, but you can't pull a boat if you have a trailer (where I live). If you build some racks in the front of a cargo trailer to hold a portable stove, pots, pans, etc. You still have room for an ATV. When you get to where you are going, take it out and set up some foldable cots, roll out your sleeping bags and you're in business.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:32 PM

I have been using a traditional tent mainly because I never found them to be big deal though I am 52 now and having most of my camping gear consolidated in one unit would be great. I will not be doing any winter camping however having a cool/warm tent would be a huge benefit. Any thoughts on Jayco

Old 10-06-2010, 06:11 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,096,034 times
I've never used a Jayco, so I don't know anything about them. I suspect the price and the quality is what would catch my eye if i were looking. I've always wanted to take at least a 4X4 ATV with me when I'm hunting. If it's summer and I'm fishing, then I don't care about taking it. But I do a lot of camping in the fall. When I used to take my motor home I pulled a Suzuki Samuri behind it, when I take my fifth wheel trailer, I can't pull anything behind it. Just no perfect camping rig, a toy hauler comes close, but they are expensive. When I go bow hunting with male friends I pull my covered cargo trailer behind my pickup and take a 4x4 ATV. Works pretty good, my cargo trailer has a heater in the front of it. I've pretty much given up on tent trailers because I would need to use it when it is cold, and they don't work well for that.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:36 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,558,971 times
I had a Coleman years ago. It was fun. Be careful with older tent trailers as the fabric will/can tear easy.
What we use now is a pop up roof tent made by Autohome.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:10 PM

Yeah I would probably purchase a new one Coleman seems to be a very good choice. I may look at some other compact solutions as well. The Autohome is cool but I would prefer to have it off my Jeep Cherokee Sport. Is it easy to remove?

Old 10-06-2010, 10:09 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,558,971 times
Very light, probably 50 pounds. Really hard to feel that it is on top the car when driving. Very roomy and comfortable to sleep in, plenty of room to get dressed.
We have used it on a 1968 Volvo 122 wagon, 1974 VW thing, Ford Escape and Explorer.
Thinking of a small open trailer and mount it on top about 4 foot high, use the under side for storage.

There are mounting tabs/bosses for mounting a additional rack on top for bikes, canoes, etc.

Ours, we bought from a young woman who was given it to her on a MTV show "Pimp Your Ride". Her's was a VW Thing pimped out to resemble snake skin on the thing, flat screens and note pads. At the end of the show they presented the pop up as they had funds left and knew she liked camping. You can not use the convertable top when mounting these on the roll cage.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:54 AM

Cool thanks for the heads up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation