Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 05:22 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,334,293 times

Advertisements

I speak English (obviously), French and Italian. I took a course in Spanish but it was too easy for me. Its very similar to Italian. I also took a German class but didn't continue with it. I learn languages easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 11:32 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,981,092 times
Immersion is definitely the best way for me to learn. I learned two West African languages when I lived in Sierra Leone, one pretty fluently and one passably. I went through 6 weeks of training, and was then dropped off in my village where I had to learn to speak it if I were to make any friends or make myself understood. I lived there two years. While that kind of immersion is pretty much impossible (unless you join Peace Corps like I did,) there are programs where you can spend a month in certain places learning languages. I know that there are programs in Costa Rica and Guatemala for learning Spanish. I haven't looked into any others - you might want to try googling language immersion vacations or something like that.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:15 PM

369 posts, read 776,481 times
I have been working on Spanish for a little over a month. It is tough to learn in hawaii, because there are almost no native speakers here and most people learn japanese or filipino. I've made some decent strides and this is the little advice i can give. I started reading childrens books in spanish (trying to not too look up words) its actually pretty easy with the pictures and spanish and english are usually close enough to discern. I've only been listening to spanish music on my ipod. I have some book to try and guide me, but most of my growth has been through SRS. I use Anki, an SRS is like online flashcards where you choose options of difficulty, the more difficult, the more often you see it and the easier is vice versa. Good luck to all fellow language learners.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:49 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Tessek? (te shake) "Excuse me" in Hungarian. The one problem with learning a foreign lamguage is the pronunciation of one or two letters together which are not the same as in English. Having grown up with a Hungarian mother spoke and understood the language but not able to write any of it. If I think in Hungarian I'm able to read most words/newspaper etc.

I have that problem with Spanish and as long as I think in terms of the Spanish letters I'm able to read quite a bit but fail to understand most of what I'm reading. Reading Yes...comprehension something else.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:12 AM

662 posts, read 1,643,493 times
I'm learning Italian. I've been self-studying for just over three years, and just this fall started a beginner's class at the local community college. I thought the classes might give me more structure and motivation. But so far the things that have worked best for me were children's learning CD's (especially the sing-a-longs) and picture books. Also agree with another poster, it's best to try to do something every day with it. For example, when I was trying to learn to count to 100, I would practice counting in my head when waiting in line at the bank, when trying to fall asleep at night, etc. Sitting around watching TV, a commercial comes on - pick up the picture book and try to memorize one new word.

It has also helped listening to Italian podcasts and radio on the Internet. We also listen to Spanish radio in the car sometimes - since the languages are so similar, I've actually been able to pick out more Spanish since studying Italian, and the Spanish is helping with Italian too.

Meanwhile I'm attempting to study Greek. It's going a lot slower since I'm taking the Italian classes now, but it is helping make new language connections in my brain and I get lots of "ah-ha" moments, also seeing better memory retention with each language the further I go down this path.

My goal is to one day be able to live in Italy and translate professionally. I'll probably be old and gray but it's a dream!

Old 10-12-2010, 06:53 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Hmmm I've always wanted to learn French, seems some of you like Rosetta Stone for learning a language. I'll have to look into it and then plan a trip to Montreal to practice....of course there is Louisiana to practice too, but I somehow think Cajun & French spoken in France or Canada are worlds apart

Old 10-23-2010, 02:06 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,507,453 times
Native American... Cherokee a very beautiful language........ trying self taught.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:00 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,084,230 times
spanish--similar to italian and at my age am getting both languages mixed up at times constantly sending my hispanic friends into peals of laughter(heaven knows what i am saying during those times--eek!

Old 10-26-2010, 01:26 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
German. Took two semesters at Community College. Went pretty well for the most part. Until I discovered the dialect I need to learn they don't teach in formal German classes. I can converse with my in-laws for the most part but my Father in Law corrects my High German into Austrian dialect which makes learning German a little more challenging.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:07 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,746,678 times
I'm not currently learning any languages but it is a struggle to maintain the ones I have. I try to spend as much time as I can reading news sites in the languages I am most fluent in - Dutch and French, and try to make my way through some articles in the ones I didn't learn so much of - Italian and Swedish. I just made friends with a neighbor who speaks Spanish so I spend a lot of time listening to her. I thought my Spanish was pretty bad until I was in Spain and got put to the test. You may be surprised as to what you can conjure up when you need to!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation