Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 02:54 PM

410 posts, read 1,494,754 times

Advertisements

I know catman....When I read what I typed I thought something doesn't exactly sound right with my question so I had to reword it a couple times....LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 04:39 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,045 times
My husband and I love to play games. We much prefer to stay home and play games and talk than go see a movie where we just sit next to each other and not talk (something my MIL doesn't seem to understand--she told my hubby that she thinks we are going to get a divorce because we don't go out together...anyhow...)

Our current game of choice is backgammon. I highly suggest it. We will play the best out of 3 or 5 games, but sometimes we just keep playing and forget who has won more. It is nice because it is an easy game to talk over (unlike the wordgames like Scrabble, Bananagrams, Boggle. We like all those games, but you spend most of your time concentrating on your next word instead talking). It also goes pretty quick, so we can still fit in a run of three even when we are tired.

Before backgammon, we played a lot of cribbage. We started a running total--I taped a piece of paper to the back of the board and made a tally for every win. This is something my grandparents did for over 30 years!

When we were first dating, we played Trivial Pursuit, but I am really, really bad at it, so we stopped quite awhile ago. But it's another idea.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:08 AM

278 posts, read 992,862 times
+1 for Cranium.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:42 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
To take you off the beaten path a bit....there are some really neat games out there if you care to stroll through your local game shop. (Besides the nice basic scrabble types).

Games like redneck rampage (it's kinda like the redneck version of Life), last night on earth (one of you plays the zombies and one the humans lol), not to mention a plethora of historical games.

There are even a number of games out there where you play together AGAINST the game which is a nice dynamic so that you win or lose together. One of them is Arkham horror but that's not going to be most peoples cup of tea.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:46 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,694,298 times
Sequence...can be played with two or a few others.

If there were more than two...Settlers of Catan. I didnt think i'd like it when i was introduced to it, but i enjoy it now.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:44 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
We used to play a lot of Scrabble. But it got boring for my dh (I win 19 out of 20 times). We played cards, but he can count cards in his head, so we stopped playing that. I like Upwords too. When I was pregnant with my ds, we played 3 games a night of Scrabble.

We've got a game called "Stocks and Bonds" he bought at a yard sale as a child that we enjoy. WE've got 7 or 8 different versions of Trivial Pursuit. Sequence is good. We play a six game 'board' of Yahtzee - it's more interesting when it becomes less about luck and more about planning and odds. Battleship is fun once in awhile. We play Farkle too.

The trick with 'classic' games is tweaking the rules to make it more interesting. The problem with that though is when you do play with others, trying to play the 'normal' way is much less interesting.

Now that 'the boy' is older, my dh plays Stratego and Axis and Allies with him - not my thing, but they really enjoy it.

When we have other couples over, we like to play 'Taboo' and always win - the better a couple knows each other, the less chance anyone else has. We usually warn people, but they don't believe us. So after a couple slaughters of 20 to 3, we switch up the partners. We're 'think outside the box' people.

We have 'Battle of the Sexes' but the one time we played that with my MIL, FIL and BIL, we came close to blows, no one was happy and we all went to bed early and upset.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:29 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
We like Backgammon too but we haven't played in ages, it's great for 2 ppl and can easily become addictive ;-)

For more than 2 ppl, Pit is a great game, easy to learn, exciting and fun too.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:54 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,052,382 times
I remember when I was a kid, I found some dice my parents had. Let's just say, I didn't want to see that game!

What about dominos?

Old 11-13-2010, 10:15 AM

410 posts, read 1,494,754 times
Thanks everyone.....Great ideas.

Dr. Earth we have dominoes and my bf is pretty good at craps so I understand...Lol

Old 11-13-2010, 10:30 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
I have always enjoyed Canasta, Bridge, and Poker. Maybe do a Vegas night...21, Poker, Craps, Roulette...and there is always "Bunco"! Who remembers those bunco parties? Am I old or what?!

Last edited by jasper12; 11-13-2010 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: edit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation