Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 10:45 AM

914 posts, read 1,806,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlquebec102 View Post
I'm considering soon moving out of my parents home soon and living with a roommate. What I think would be a good idea when I do that is taking up a new, cool and exciting hobby to get into, besides video games. Imean, gaming is a somewhat expensive hobby, especially if you always want to keep up with it, moving into the next gen, stuff like that. Here are fun, exciting hobbies that I have in mind, and maybe you guys can add facts about them I should know about:

Learning an instrument and maybe even getting into a band: I could learn an instrument, and maybe get a few friends who are interested and we could form a band. Not a mainstream and become famous kind of band, though. Just a small, regular thing and we could play shows and stuff like that. Would we need to update our instruments with the times though? That would keep costing money.

Take up a sport, or extreme sport: Maybe I could play soccer or tennis and play that every once in a while. Or for something more exciting, outdoor rock climbing, learn to swim better and do scuba diving or surfing, and I'm sure there's lots of other extreme sports I don't know about.

Photography/making videos: This speaks for itself, I guess. Learn new software for editing and make cool music videos. Take cool snapshots, etc.

What can you guys add or give more info about. I won't give up gaming entirely. I'll still have my Wii, which I get games not so often, and the games for it will become cheaper, and I'm sure it would last me a really long time. Wii games and Gamecube games compatible, along with WiiWare and VC...I should be happy with just those. I might move into newer gen games though, but for now I'd like to know about newer hobbies like the ones I mentioned.

"Chinese calligraphy, my Theses 2, Kangaroo Anatomy, Toe Photography, Booger sculpture and masturbation. Well, maybe not masturbation but give me a break it's the only thing I'm good at"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 12:25 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
well, here's some of the hobbies I've tried:

Plastic model kits
Model trains
Buckskinning
Cowboy Action Shooting
Hunting
Fishing
Mountaineering
Rock Climbing
Falconry
Gunsmithing
Fencing
Aikido
Kata
Jodo
D&D roleplaying
Vdeo games
Historic home restoration
4-wheeling and vehicle mods
Ghost Hunting
Mountain/Road Biking
Motorcycling
Drinking (does that count too? )

I've had fun with every one (and blown a whole lot of money) Don't just try one hobby, try a whole $&!tload of them.
I've tried about half of those, and several others, and have spent a great deal of money on them over the years. I can only imagine how much you've spent, especially considering that a few of the ones you list that I haven't tried can be quite expensive.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:27 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,091,725 times
For the sake of your health, I'd look into hobbies that will physically benefit you. When I was in my early 20s I rollerbladed quite a bit. There are some great suggestions here: hiking, swimming, whatever floats your boat. Also a great way to meet people! I will also second the suggestion to commit to volunteering to a favorite cause, at least occasionally.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:20 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
The hobby of satellite spotting might be fun for you. The website www.heavens-above.com, once you register and give it your location, gives you a list of the satellites, rocket bodies, etc. that will be coming over and gives you star maps with the paths plotted. I use 7x50 binoculars and have almost 8200 sightings so far. It's a great way to learn the sky and constellations! And it's a great site for amateur astronomy in general.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:00 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
The hobby of satellite spotting might be fun for you. The website www.heavens-above.com, once you register and give it your location, gives you a list of the satellites, rocket bodies, etc. that will be coming over and gives you star maps with the paths plotted. I use 7x50 binoculars and have almost 8200 sightings so far. It's a great way to learn the sky and constellations! And it's a great site for amateur astronomy in general.
Wow, I had no idea there were so many things to spot in the skies above. I've spotted the space shuttle a few times, and numerous satellites over the years, but most of the time, I didn't know what I was looking at. I think I'll explore that website to find some things to spot, then I'll try to spot them. It should be interesting.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:20 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
I have nearly 8200 sightings, but they aren't all of different objects. I've seen severeal hundred different objects, but most I have seen multiple times. I've probably seen the International Space Station and the Hubble Space Telescope a hundred times each. Enjoy!

Old 01-14-2011, 02:17 PM

45 posts, read 95,891 times
This thread is starting to age a little but I just saw it and wanted to throw in an idea that I don't think anyone else mentioned.

If you like beer and are old enough to drink it then brew some beer! It's relatively cheap to get started ($100 or less for a starter kit) but there is a slippery slope that you have to watch out for; there is always something new to learn and to buy. You also get to enjoy (drink) your hard work in the end.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:04 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,232,240 times
How about knife throwing?

Old 01-15-2011, 05:05 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,232,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
That's quit a few -- are most of them delta rockets?

I love Iridium flares -- you can really mess with people by telling them they're angels, alien spacecraft, etc.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:44 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,292,219 times
Birdwatching - it goes well with hiking, and with photography
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation