Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 01:40 PM

433 posts, read 1,367,657 times

Advertisements

I'm considering soon moving out of my parents home soon and living with a roommate. What I think would be a good idea when I do that is taking up a new, cool and exciting hobby to get into, besides video games. Imean, gaming is a somewhat expensive hobby, especially if you always want to keep up with it, moving into the next gen, stuff like that. Here are fun, exciting hobbies that I have in mind, and maybe you guys can add facts about them I should know about:

Learning an instrument and maybe even getting into a band: I could learn an instrument, and maybe get a few friends who are interested and we could form a band. Not a mainstream and become famous kind of band, though. Just a small, regular thing and we could play shows and stuff like that. Would we need to update our instruments with the times though? That would keep costing money.

Take up a sport, or extreme sport: Maybe I could play soccer or tennis and play that every once in a while. Or for something more exciting, outdoor rock climbing, learn to swim better and do scuba diving or surfing, and I'm sure there's lots of other extreme sports I don't know about.

Photography/making videos: This speaks for itself, I guess. Learn new software for editing and make cool music videos. Take cool snapshots, etc.

What can you guys add or give more info about. I won't give up gaming entirely. I'll still have my Wii, which I get games not so often, and the games for it will become cheaper, and I'm sure it would last me a really long time. Wii games and Gamecube games compatible, along with WiiWare and VC...I should be happy with just those. I might move into newer gen games though, but for now I'd like to know about newer hobbies like the ones I mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 04:11 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,558,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlquebec102 View Post
,,Learning an instrument and maybe even getting into a band: I could learn an instrument, and maybe get a few friends who are interested and we could form a band. Not a mainstream and become famous kind of band, though. Just a small, regular thing and we could play shows and stuff like that. Would we need to update our instruments with the times though? That would keep costing money.,,,.
Best to take more lessons before updating instruments. Research whatever you are looking for and buy what speaks to you. You can rent for awhile to get some skills in before you shop.

I would pick the brains of anyone you are getting lessons from, get a idea of what they suggest. Often the set up is more important than the brand when it comes to guitars and mandolins. My wife and I took guitar classes at the local college, cost about $60 each for the semester.

I scuba dive, classes started at $100 and included rental of the equipment. All you need to buy is gloves, mask and snorkel and fins.
Each time I rented they were short on something, that was when I purchased so it was only a item at a time. Later I joined scuba clubs, they have raffles at the monthly meetings. I won so much stuff, selling my older equipment off. I won 6 tanks, 2 regulators, 6 pairs of fins, 12 masks, 2 spear guns, etc,,.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:35 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,749,531 times
Hiking is a good and cheap get off the couch activity, all you need to start are comfortable shoes and a water bottle for heading out on a nice day. If you go on overnight trips (backpacking) or in more challenging weather then the gear budget goes up a little but not nearly as steeply as other activities. If you feel like going with others exploring there are hiking clubs in many cities and towns, or check meetup for groups. Can be combined with many other activities, such as geocaching, hunting, fishing, bouldering, rock climbing, photography, history or urban exploration, etc.

Old 12-25-2010, 06:14 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,596,581 times
Parkour (free running) looks like a blast, but have a solid medical plan.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:00 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,154,689 times
Ever think of kites?
This guy is special but flying one at a time is a lot of fun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe2PddwZJAI

Or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbFXYrIlyss

Or how bout some electric 3d foamy action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w2r4...eature=related

Old 12-25-2010, 09:35 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,236,575 times
Dear MtlQuebec,
I think you should try all the things you mentioned, add in studying a martial art, and if one appeals to you more than any other, then go for it. ALSO, I have a hobby that I love, it's called ART. Lots of ways to get into it. One is right on the computer, the "Paint" program that comes with Windows.

Or go to the art/craft store, get a set of jars of acrylic paint, two large paint brushes, and maybe two canvas boards. Put down newspaper, find an old aluminum pan to mix paint, a heavy old jar filled halfway with water, and rags. Then dip that brush into the paint jar and just slosh it on the canvas. Be free, use all the colors, do an abstract becuz it doesn't matter what the design is... do it so YOU like it. I can't draw a straight line, and I love art. Plus it bleeds over into other artsy things like pottery and collages.

If you like doing this art, it can wind up as a job... many schools have Graphic Arts programs, where you learn how to paste together artwork for an advertisement, use the computer to arrange photos and text for a brochure, come up with a consistent design for a 20-page catalog... Advertising companies need graphic arts people, printing companies sometimes have a graphics art department, that sort of thing. Most colleges have a career department that steer students to where they can use their particular interest, coursework, chosen major or minor.

If you don't mind, tho, I think you should make an additional list of your LIFE GOAL. The preamble is: Where do I see myself in ten years? Some people want to make a lot of money so they can live in a nice house. This takes college, high-paying jobs, health insurance so a bad accident won't clean out your bank account, savings to get that big house, not to mention finding work doing something you like rather than something you HAVE to do to pay rent, utility bills, health insurance, taxes, clothes, video games, computer, television, rug on the floor (you'll provide the art on the walls), groceries in the refrigerator, the occasional movie, a car to get to the movie, and a haircut so when you're ready to attract a mate they won't find you to be an unedu-bi-cated mange-ridden mongrel. Smile.
GG

Old 12-25-2010, 12:06 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,663,339 times
Take up speedsolving the Rubik's Cube. It's cheap, you can do it anywhere and it's addicting. Everyone will also think you are a genius. There are competitions that anyone can join.

World Cube Association | World Cube Association, the official organisation for fans of Rubik's Cube and other puzzles

There's also a big online community.

www.speedsolving.com

Old 12-25-2010, 03:48 PM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 10 days ago)

43,459 posts, read 44,172,248 times
Flying gliders!

Old 12-25-2010, 07:31 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,042,295 times
I played drums, and did Muay Thai.

I would take up guitar if I was in your position. It doesn't take much money for a guitar to practice on.

Soccer is cool, because there are some places to shoot around for free, at least in my city. I also played soccer in a racquetball court, with rules similar to racquetball. THat was fun, and free when my old apartment had one for the residents. There are a few videos about, but I can't remember the name it was given.

Old 12-25-2010, 07:34 PM

262 posts, read 549,190 times
Drawing or painting, easy and cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation