U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 09:22 PM

36 posts, read 68,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
No liscence required to fish from shores of Rhode Island - yet!
Bass fishing anywhere along the penninsula that is Bristol County, RI
(towns of Warren and Bristol) is free and fabulous!

I have lots of family there . . . fishing family of course!
Just returned from my summer family fishing fun - coastal RI - awesome (and free)!
Hey Idaho,

How's it goin'? So, you're from Idaho but occasionally get to fish in Rhode Island thanks to family, huh. How great is that? You expecting them to require a license sometime soon? It's probably the only state I've heard of where fishing is free. Michigan certainly isn't. Nothing is free here. If this state can capitalize on something, it well. I think most do these days.

I very rarely keep any and I'd like to see something enacted where if you catch and release, you don't have to have a license. Only when you keep them. I'd also like to see slot fishing here cause many fisherman here, keep everything they catch. OK for crappie or bluegill, but bass...that's a different story. When I lived in Texas (where they have slot fishing regulations), fish were abundent and big. I used to fish the Fayette Reservoir in Fayette County and the fish there were absolutely huge. We used water dogs (live salamanders) to catch them. If you weren't holding onto your rod when they hit, you might be buying another rod and reel. Fishing there was some of the best I've ever done. Thanks for the response and good fishing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 09:29 PM

36 posts, read 68,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strangemood View Post
I have been fishing in Virginia all my life. We have great small creeks, rivers, lakes where smallmouth bass, spot and brim run rampant. Of course I also visit the Cheseapeake Bay fresh water/salt water mix where croakers are caught in the summer probably 1 or 2 an hour just from fishing from the pier. Croakers are good eating. Of course deep sea in the bay is great for tuna, watch out for the skates (look like stingrays) they love to hide out on the bottom of fresh/salt.

Basically fishing in Virginia is great, moving to Michigan I hope I can find some fishing comparable. Any suggestions?

Also whats up with ice fishing? I would really like to give that a try, I've heard its a good time.
Howdy Strangemood,

Let me know when you get here and maybe I can fill you in on some of the better areas to fish and the right time of the year. Right now, many of the lakes have moss that is overgrown. Makes it hard to get lures through the water. On those lakes, **** and/or a Texas rigged finesse bait may be your only choice.

Personally, I like throwing topwater in the morning and as the day heats up, a crankbait, cause you usually have to get deep.

I thought about moving to Virginia once but it never happened. I had a friend who was an avid bass fisherman until he hooked into a Redfish while surf fishing in Corpus Christi. He got a real rush from it. That fish took 2 hrs. to bring in. Haven't talked to him since, but I'm sure he has added heavier gear to his arsenal of equipment for saltwater applications. Good communicating with you and have a great fishing season.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:57 PM

1,833 posts, read 4,289,172 times
Bass fishing is fine but my choice is Crappie, Bluegill, Catfish and assorted other pan fish. I'm more into eating them than anything and nothing beats a big mess of bluegill filleted up, rolled in corn mill and deep fried with a cool beer.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:52 PM

3,003 posts, read 7,779,057 times
To me there's nothing like live linning bunker into the rip at Sandy Hook (New Jersey), hook into a 40 lb. Striped Bass and it's off to the races, or trolling for False Albacore along the surf line with light tackle, getting into a 250 lb. Mako isn't too shaby either.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:06 PM

16,423 posts, read 11,163,368 times
My husband and 4 yr. old daughter and myself just went small mouth bass fishing off a dock on Lake Pend Oreille last week. They don't get real big here but I caught the 2 biggest and they were proably a foot or so each. Had fun!

Old 08-02-2007, 11:36 AM

18,947 posts, read 49,532,294 times
I used to fish alllll the time around here, but havent since we had our son 6 years ago. Id normally go for bass (smallmouth or large, didnt matter), which I had very good luck with. One particular day I pulled in 13 bass in one hour out here on the Fox River. Also hit a school of stripers that week, that was pretty cool. Never caught any muskie or pike or anything, I usually fish for smaller fish. Had a run in with a HUGE channel cat that snapped my 20 lb test line!!!!! Only one walleye my whole life too.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:50 PM

5,674 posts, read 10,045,998 times
For the last couple of summers we have caught some very nice lake Rainbows in Chatfield Reservor by the foothills in Littleton, Colorado. In the summer of 2005, we caught a 19" Brown Trout in Chatfield and some local fisherman were very amazed that there were Brown Trout in the Reservor. On a July weekend last year (2006), we caught a total of 9 Rainbows in that Reservor measuring between 14 and 16 inches. And, this was during a two hour fishing in the AM on both Saturday and Sunday. Got 4 Rainbows on Saturday and 5 the next day (Sunday). Those 'Bows sure like the Wal Mart Canadian Nightcrawlers we were using.
We absolutely love fishing, at least when fish are showing up on sonar AND biting. This summer (2007), the Reservor is pretty dead with fishing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation