Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 10:49 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
I've helped build wooden boat projects through 38'. A 24' boat is a realistic project if you have some woodworking experience and access to the supplies, materials, modest tool selection, and a suitable location to build the boat.

It's a lot of work, and you need to be careful about your design selection.

I'll second the suggestion to read Wooden Boat magazine ... especially get the older issues which had a heavy focus on the skills and techniques and tools to accomplish stuff. Their old plans reviews and write-ups on several builders was of interest to your project, too.

One boat I'd specifically mention, which was intended for owner building and has a large following/much knowledge out in the marketplace: Thunderbird, Ben Seaborn's design for the Fir Plywood Association. This boat is well suited for the conditions you'll be sailing in and is yet today a very good performer and seaworthy.

Another designer to consider is Phil Bolger's boats in the 24' length for coastal cruising. Many require minimal boatbuilding skills and yet can deliver excellent service for your needs.

Having sailed the area you're in for years, I'd say that there's a lot of wooden boat designs that will readily meet your needs for a fun and rewarding finished project that won't take forever to build. Stay with the more basic boats of plywood construction and you'll save yourself a lot of time and effort compared to more complex craft ....

A Thunderbird would be a great build. Designed with home building in mind nice coastal cruiser, sea worthy and good performance.
Built with modern epoxie it would be way better than the earlier ones.

Back in about 78 one of my best friends and a good Finn sailor worked through high school saved $2000 spent 1500 on an used T bird and the rest on food and supplies and sailed off to Hawaii singelhanded (except for his cat) - would not recommend that though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 03:33 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,426,766 times
It's been ages, but I remember a DIY catamaran that was designed with marine plywood in mind. Each living area was rather small, but the author's idea was to live/sail in the south Pacific and do most of the living on deck. It was a plastic ring binder if I remember right.

I also remember something that the author had two wives or something; an older one and younger one. Not that it relates to boat building, but it might someone else remember the book. If anything Google 'polynesian catamaran plywood'.

Old 03-19-2016, 05:10 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,697 times
I have a friend who has built a Ness Yawl, Three kayaks and an adirondack guide boat all of wood. (One kayak is skin on frame). All of them he built from another person's plans. I think he said it took him about a year to build the sail boat. Quite a beauty too. She turns a lot of heads when he take her out. Not sure if anyone sails a Ness yawl on the ocean though. It's a little boat.

He has a whole section of his web page detailing the building project. Ness Yawl Goldberry

May have some useful information for you.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:05 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
Build a steel boat. When steel boats hit coral you get, sand. When wood boats hit coral you get... toothpicks.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:57 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Wonder if the OP ever got after it.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:20 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
So many other projects to complete before I can begin to start. We have been redoing our home. I have been told that when it is complete then I will have the freedom and time to build a boat. I have looked at my resources and what I can do. This plan has been scaled back to something that will fit in a 22' long space. *(when the project starts anyway.) I have been learning a lot and building my supply of wood for the project. Also collecting tools for when I am ready to work on it.

We don't have a lot of coral around here. So that won't be too much of a concern.

The new plan is to build something we can sail around here, between Oxnard and Santa Barbara to the North and Malibu to the South. Also take in the Channel Islands. More of a day or weekend boat. Not ready to start just yet.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:34 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Build a steel boat. When steel boats hit coral you get, sand. When wood boats hit coral you get... toothpicks.
I like the statement in regards to fiberglass or wood. take a section of fiberglass and toss it in the water and see what happens. Then take a piece of wood and chuck it in and observe. I like wood!

Actually most custom sportfish boats over here are wood, whether "cold molded" which is plywood on a *** built upside down and glassed over or old school plank on frame. But these are single or twin screw sportfish upwards of 50 to 70 plus feet. Amazing the number that are built in chicken sheds, fished for a season or two then sold. Of course there are also assorted "project" boats that were drawn up and started but the expense was too much so they were given up on. North Carolina is known world wide for their custom sportfishers and the coastal marinas in the Mid-Atlantic/NC area are full of them. Beautiful boats!

Personally, i wouldn't mind toying with a plywood flat bottomed scow/skiff but that has to wait another year or so.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:53 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
I built a hybrid wood/fiberglass boat years ago. It was made from sheets of closed cell foam edge planked on some wooden frames built out of scrap lumber. The foam was really easy to cut and it was pinned to the scrap lumber frames with long steel T headed upholstery sewing pins. Then that was fiberglassed (with the pins pulled out along the way). Turned right side up, pulled the scrap lumber out, fiberglassed the inside and added in the seats and compartments and wood trim. It was a really light dinghy. I'd gotten the plans out of a library book and all the supplies from a surfboard shop except the oars, oarlocks and wooden parts. Rowed really well, could carry four people and a lot of groceries and actually went better laden than empty it seemed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation