Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 06:58 PM

69 posts, read 156,199 times

Advertisements

so i did some re arranging the other night, heres my current rig..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 07:02 PM

Exclamation reeeely?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
I have a 1959 Motorola console stereo, 17 tube, would love to have it restored, I'm sure the components weren't meant to last 50 plus years. Don't know where I can have this done...

1. dose it work?, if so, whats wrong with it

2. if it hasnt been plugged in in a very long time -dont do it! it will need a variac transformer power up

3. can you post some pics?

Old 12-06-2011, 08:42 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post

The only thing I haven't figured out is how to efficiently support the low end frequency response.. The khorns only go down to about 35Hz.
I need reasonable size, so a VLF bass horn is not really in the picture.

Try a DIY Tom Danley style tapped horn. A couple of pals use them with DIY horn systems and they track the dynamics of the horns. They are very powerful and very clean. Horns in other words. They are big but not as big as a regular basshorn that goes as deep. There's much information about them on the web.

The structure by the window that looks like a bench is my pal's tapped horn. It uses a 12" driver from Parts Express specifically meant for tapped horn use.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:52 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,135 times
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks.... That looks like a good subwoofer. I will research it.

I have looked at a few other options, but I haven't done this in years. Another option is to build one. The amps are easy from partsexpress.com
Going with a much larger cabinet (with the appropriate drivers), and then potentially running an active high-pass filter, tuned with an intentional peak below the natural low-end rollof the the system, to boost low-end response. It's been 25 years since I played with this stuff, but I recall that distortion levels go up significantly when trying to drive the system like this, as cone motion becomes very significant. Time to do a lot of reading

Old 12-07-2011, 06:15 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Try a DIY Tom Danley style tapped horn. A couple of pals use them with DIY horn systems and they track the dynamics of the horns. They are very powerful and very clean. Horns in other words. They are big but not as big as a regular basshorn that goes as deep. There's much information about them on the web.

The structure by the window that looks like a bench is my pal's tapped horn. It uses a 12" driver from Parts Express specifically meant for tapped horn use.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

These look interesting...
I wonder about impedance mismatches at the the mouth of the box...
The size looks great!

Old 12-07-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
It's been 25 years since I played with this stuff, but I recall that distortion levels go up significantly when trying to drive the system like this, as cone motion becomes very significant. Time to do a lot of reading

High distortion levels in long stroking subwoofers are arguably less important than they would be in regualar woofers since the subwoofer is usually crossed in the 50-100hz range and distortion from it can't affect the upper bass and midrange, as can happen with a normal woofer that's crossed much higher and IS called upon to reproduce upper bass and midrange.

In my experience the biggest problem with using direct radiating, long stroking subs with horns is the ability of such systems to track the dynamics of the horns, that they keep up. If the subs can't track the mains then as volume grows louder the tonal balance will change when the sub compresses and the mains don't.

I've found that large subs using direct radiators with a great deal of cone area will track horn mains; I used 4 JBL 15s as subs (2 JBL Pro 4648 bassbins) with an Altec A7-500 VOT system. You're back to pretty big boxes but still smaller than a bass horn going as deep. The system shown measured flat to 25hz (with 6db boost at 30hz), kept up with the Altecs and at high levels you could hardly see the cones move.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
It's been 25 years since I played with this stuff, but I recall that distortion levels go up significantly when trying to drive the system like this, as cone motion becomes very significant. Time to do a lot of reading

High distortion levels in long stroking subwoofers are arguably less important than they would be in regular woofers since the subwoofer is usually crossed in the 50-100hz range and distortion from it can't affect the upper bass and midrange, as can happen with a normal woofer that's crossed much higher and IS called upon to reproduce upper bass and midrange.

In my experience the biggest problem with using direct radiating, long stroking subs with horns is the ability of such systems to track the dynamics of the horns, that they keep up. If the subs can't track the mains then as volume grows louder the tonal balance will change when the sub compresses and the mains don't.

I've found that large subs using direct radiators with a great deal of cone area will track horn mains; I used 4 JBL 15s as subs (2 JBL Pro 4648 bassbins) with an Altec A5 VOT system. You're back to pretty big boxes but still smaller than a bass horn going as deep. The system shown measured flat to 25hz (with 6db boost at 30hz), kept up with the Altecs and at high levels you could hardly see the cones move.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Screw AK.

Seriously. Nowadays, a lot of folks who are fed up with their antics are going to Tapeheads.Net.

thanks for the heads up, intresting site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation