U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 02:45 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,344,716 times

Advertisements

Ouch. That's a terrible noise level! Mine varies from S2 to S5. When it is S5, I don't do much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 02:48 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
congratulations.
i passed mine a year ago. the burning question for me now that i have 4 radios, (2 handhelds) ( a great friend gifted them all to me during the year, he is my elmer- but i cant seem to get into it)
what do i do with them.???
i think women are more practical and i hear them using it to phone home to let hubby know they will be there soon. other than that, i cant stand most of the traffic," can u hear me can u hear me."
i dont wana play.
if u have suggestions from a woman perspective i am would appreciate it. i am single so no one to phone home to, except my fish, LOL.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 01-14-2012 at 03:20 PM..

Old 01-15-2012, 11:10 AM

10,521 posts, read 11,628,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
congratulations.
i passed mine a year ago. the burning question for me now that i have 4 radios, (2 handhelds) ( a great friend gifted them all to me during the year, he is my elmer- but i cant seem to get into it)
what do i do with them.???
i think women are more practical and i hear them using it to phone home to let hubby know they will be there soon. other than that, i cant stand most of the traffic," can u hear me can u hear me."
i dont wana play.
if u have suggestions from a woman perspective i am would appreciate it. i am single so no one to phone home to, except my fish, LOL.
Is there a local ham radio club near you? You could visit them, or listen in on local repeaters or nets. You can also work satellites and make contacts all over the U.S. which is a lot of fun.

Visit some of the ham radio forums - eHam.net Home - Amateur Radio (Ham Radio) Community Site or QRZ.COM

Old 01-15-2012, 05:10 PM

3,252 posts, read 6,060,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Nice, but I wouldn't call that a "massive" antenna. Wait until you see some of the contest stations with stacked Yagis up hundreds of feet!
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Or large quads... the biggest I could put in at home was a 20-15-10m quad, but we had a 40m beam in college... drooped like a spider
The wire beams got huge (but obviously you can't rotate them), and the 80m and 160m beverage antennas were massive.
We lived on a farm... an antenna farm

Old 01-16-2012, 01:09 AM

I live on a city lot, so I'm restricted regarding antennas. They won't let me set up the Voice of Fort Worth here. But I did get Namibia yesterday on 10m, making my total 154 countries with indoor antennas (151 confirmed so far)!

Old 01-16-2012, 04:31 AM

828 posts, read 1,403,010 times
Congrats to any new ham. We have a lot of women her in Dallas [a few even run the SKYWARN net] My Elmer's wife is a ham and we used to have fun picking on the old man. Ham Radio is what you make of it, and now with the new P25, DStar and other digital means they are adding to it it MIGHT get better. [don't ask me how I'm still attempting to figure it out myself].

Old 01-17-2012, 01:06 PM

I still have a lot of fun just searching on 10m, 12m, 15m and 20m to see what is coming in on phone. It's different every day!

Old 01-17-2012, 03:37 PM

15,194 posts, read 17,686,126 times
My girl, her two sons and I will be taking the technician class test in a couple of weeks. I'm doing ok on the practice tests, but I need to work on the sections covering the legal side of the hobby. I don't think they're doing as well, and may actually wait until the next test session to take it (only another month).

We're headed to the monthly meeting of the local amateur radio club tonight, to introduce ourselves and network a bit.

I've always been interested in ham, but I'm not a terribly social person, so it was never a priority for me. I recently discovered some of the things you can do with packet radio, and I'm intrigued. I'm sure I'll use the radio a little for voice here and there, and I'll listen in sometimes, but I love the idea of being able to move bits around with it. I was a network geek for a while, so I'm naturally interested in any new ways to play around with sending data.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:45 PM

There is a facet to the hobby for nearly everyone. I'm not terribly social in person, but I love to meet people on the bands.

I want to get an HF mobile going in my car soon! That sounds like fun to me.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:05 AM

9,616 posts, read 11,062,995 times
Default Great stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Nice, but I wouldn't call that a "massive" antenna. Wait until you see some of the contest stations with stacked Yagis up hundreds of feet!
Catman, I had no idea! Or did I just forget? Note: rflmn = ex: VE4AIJ, that one (Manitoba, Canada) now lost in the sands of time and immigratin'.

But I will be going for broke again one of these days, for my renewed licence. With one of these:

Elecraft Product List

And this stunning close-up of the little darling!

http://www.elecraft.com/KX3/KX3_1920.JPG

I actually love QRP CW; since anything else is just picking up my cell phone to talk to that guy in Australia! Plus, I have been listening on my now-aging Sony SW/HAM band radio, and a lot of the idle chit-chat sounds suspiciously like the old hay-day of potty-mouthed rubbish; a sort of pro CB band stuff.

Seems that the US FCC hasn't got near-enough enforcement officers anymore, huh? No way to track the offenders down.

Like: this guy named Steve who is often on about 3860 or so in the evenings, out of northern California. He's a crude-potty mouthed idiot, most often drunk, who talks over anyone he wants to, and so on.

Back in '78, in Canada, if you did that you'd have had the HAM community on your tail,m not to mention the officials. And Canada loves its' Officials!

Well anyhow, to the OP: congrats, though I see this is a somewhat old thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or