Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2020, 12:06 PM

68,271 posts, read 53,994,055 times

Advertisements

I've used what at one time was well regarded in industry, MasterCam VIII and got relatively proficient with it but it's 20+ years old at this point. I'm overwhelmed by the quantity/quality of CAD/CAM software available for free these days and would like to get some input to help me sort through the offerings. I have access to SolidWorks thru an organization membership and have been looking at a Fusion 360 tutorial on YouTube. Also looking at the MPCNC router from V1 Engineering. Comments, reviews, questions, answers all welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2020, 07:48 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,074 posts, read 80,118,318 times
I have an Epilog CNC Laser, it doesn't do 3D but I have a lot of fun with it doing artistic projects, and make about $10,000/year doing manufacturing of parts for a few good customers. For that I just use Corel. I did use Solidworks some when creating parts for Art Institute students doing furniture design in small scale back in the early 2000s. I have Autocad 13 at work, but mostly just use it for lease exhibits. Sorry, not enough expert to help you. Good luck.

Old 03-13-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have an Epilog CNC Laser, it doesn't do 3D but I have a lot of fun with it doing artistic projects, and make about $10,000/year doing manufacturing of parts for a few good customers. For that I just use Corel. I did use Solidworks some when creating parts for Art Institute students doing furniture design in small scale back in the early 2000s. I have Autocad 13 at work, but mostly just use it for lease exhibits. Sorry, not enough expert to help you. Good luck.

The good thing is there's so much software out there offering free downloads and/or trials I can play around with a few to see which one suits me the best. What shocks me is some of the tutorials I've watched seem as capable as the old MasterCam and that was at least $5K way back when.

Old 04-24-2020, 10:36 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,365,817 times
I do a lot of 3d printing and I tried to get proficient with Fusion360 but I didn't have the time to devote to learning it. I did, however, get quite good with Tinkercad, and I've built a few useful parts in it. My favorite part is a USB charger cap for Ryobi batteries, and also a landscape light fixture that fits in to an aluminum fence post.

I started 3d printing with a $100 Monoprice Mini Select printer, then once addicted I spent a few hundred on a really big printer (400mm x 400mm x 500mm print volume). It's lots of fun.

I use Thingiverse to share my prints. I don't make any money; just purely a hobby.
Attached Thumbnails
Any CNC Routing/3D Printing Hobbyists Here?-img_1925_r.jpg   Any CNC Routing/3D Printing Hobbyists Here?-img_0871_r.jpg  

Old 04-24-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I do a lot of 3d printing and I tried to get proficient with Fusion360 but I didn't have the time to devote to learning it. I did, however, get quite good with Tinkercad, and I've built a few useful parts in it. My favorite part is a USB charger cap for Ryobi batteries, and also a landscape light fixture that fits in to an aluminum fence post.

I started 3d printing with a $100 Monoprice Mini Select printer, then once addicted I spent a few hundred on a really big printer (400mm x 400mm x 500mm print volume). It's lots of fun.

I use Thingiverse to share my prints. I don't make any money; just purely a hobby.

Yeah, Fusion 360 seems quite capable but it also seems to have a steep learning curve. I've been fooling around with TinkerCad but get a bit frustrated when I can't do simple things like bevel/fillet/round just one part of a given shape and have to devise another shape that I can group with to do what I want.

Working on putting a CNC router together now which I think will be an interesting pastime.

Old 04-29-2020, 04:23 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,365,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Yeah, Fusion 360 seems quite capable but it also seems to have a steep learning curve. I've been fooling around with TinkerCad but get a bit frustrated when I can't do simple things like bevel/fillet/round just one part of a given shape and have to devise another shape that I can group with to do what I want.

Working on putting a CNC router together now which I think will be an interesting pastime.
Yeah I totally agree on the Tinkercad point about rounding things. By the time I finish a part, it consists of so many iterations of "add part, group, add part, group". The thing I really like is that since it's web-based, I can tool around in it during downtime at work, or downtime while visiting relatives. It even works on ipads which is cool.

Old 04-29-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
Yeah I totally agree on the Tinkercad point about rounding things. By the time I finish a part, it consists of so many iterations of "add part, group, add part, group". The thing I really like is that since it's web-based, I can tool around in it during downtime at work, or downtime while visiting relatives. It even works on ipads which is cool.

Can't beat the price either. 20 + years ago I had the opportunity to learn a bit of MasterCam VIII which was very intuitive and putting a little filet on one line intersection was a piece of cake. Of course 20 years ago you'd pay ~ $5K for the most basic level of MasterCam which I have the feeling programs like Fusion360, available free for hobby use, would likely blow into the weeds.

Old 09-06-2020, 07:03 PM

10,923 posts, read 21,870,092 times
I just started 3D printing a few months ago when I got back into RC cars, I got an Ender 3 Pro, it's nice to be able to print out spare/upgrade parts. Below is a project I'm working on, left image is stock wheels, right are 3D printed with silk silver.
Attached Thumbnails
Any CNC Routing/3D Printing Hobbyists Here?-20200904_084534.jpg   Any CNC Routing/3D Printing Hobbyists Here?-20200904_085745.jpg  

Old 09-06-2020, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I just started 3D printing a few months ago when I got back into RC cars, I got an Ender 3 Pro, it's nice to be able to print out spare/upgrade parts. Below is a project I'm working on, left image is stock wheels, right are 3D printed with silk silver.

Neat stuff! I have a plain Jane Ender 3 and am pleased with it. I'm starting to learn to use it for some practical things. I needed one of the mounts to hold a shower curtain rod on the wall and was a little irked when the local stores only carried kits of 2 mounts and a rod. I tinkered up a mount , printed it and problem solved.

Old 09-07-2020, 06:16 PM

10,923 posts, read 21,870,092 times
I just found my winter project, a 3D printed RC replica of my Jeep
https://www.3dsets.com/product/rancher-4x4/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation