Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2011, 03:55 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here use a Passive Preselector to help them find/control signals when listening to Shortwave with portable radios???

If you do what equipment are you using with what antenna???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 11:37 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
I was hoping you would get a response. I have no experience with them, but I was interested in what someone might have to say.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:25 PM

It's as I feared......SWL is not a popular hobby today since it not something the ipod generations know much about. They like everything spoon fed to them with no challenges that make SWL so much fun.

Truth is there isn't much on this on the web even and what you find is oooold!

I've spent a lot of time plowing through old text on SWL with little (as you might expect since they were written when portables were still toys) of the info even mentioning portables. Today the old boat anchor table tops have been replaced by some very good portable radios but portables have REALLY sensitive front ends that overload badly with old tech antennas, preselctors, antennas and such.

For the time being I'm going to run barefoot to see how much help my portables do need before I throw any money at any other equipment. When I do buy any equipment the first piece will be a MFJ-1045c and see what happens and/or noise filter.

MFJ Enterprises Inc.

PAR BCST-HPF High Pass AM Broadcast Filter

Just don't know which to try first.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:43 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
I had a lot of fun with SW portables in the 60s-80s. You're right about the overloading! They weren't designed for big antennas. The 31m band was always my favorite.

I don't know whether a preselector would help that much. The main problem is too sensitive a front end,

Old 03-14-2011, 12:44 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,299,161 times
What kind of problems are you having? Are the local AM stations causing problems, or other shortwave stations?

Old 03-14-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
What kind of problems are you having? Are the local AM stations causing problems, or other shortwave stations?
At this point just basicly digging out faint stations or stations that appear off freq. in many places.

My basic goal is to take some of the freq. sorting load off the portable so that it can listen to a cleaner band. I'm not to concerned about boosting signals since that leads to overload very quickly. For this reason I keep my antennas really simple avoiding really long wires or other antenna types with massive gain.

If I am bothered by AM I don't see it since I live rural with all AM stations miles (!) away.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:12 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
OK I finally understand what you are talking about - an antenna tuned to a particular frequency you want to receive. I have not done that with SW (there seems to be less out there anymore, BTW) but I did use an analog Channel 7 dedicated TV antenna for a while (wrecked by a tree limb not too long after the switch-over to DTV, and not much good now even if it was in mint condition)

Old 03-14-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
OK I finally understand what you are talking about - an antenna tuned to a particular frequency BAND you want to receive. I have not done that with SW (there seems to be less out there anymore, BTW) but I did use an analog Channel 7 dedicated TV antenna for a while (wrecked by a tree limb not too long after the switch-over to DTV, and not much good now even if it was in mint condition)
The radio tuner will do the freq. selection after the preselector narrows the band to select from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation