Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 09:33 AM

29,433 posts, read 14,618,885 times

Advertisements

Being single for the most part of my life, I've gotten just too many hobbies. Now that I'm in a serious relationship soon to be married I've had to knock off some, and with starting family in the near future I'm sure I'll have even less time ... it's all good though.

1) Drag racing
2) Offshore powerboats
3) Dirtbikes/ ATV's
4) Snowmobiling
5) Mountain biking
6) Home stereo
7) Shooting
8) Collecting :
Offshore powerboat racing memorabilia
Vintage boating photo's
Martini glasses
Vintage signs (marine boating related things)
Books ..I love to read
Music
Unique things (I'm in the restoration process of two Chrysler Sno
runners from the 80's)

I also do all maintence on the mechanical things, and my everyday vehicles so that eats up time as well. I've sold off the race car, and boat. I haven't biked in years, don't really listen to the home stereo anymore or gotten any new equipment, only read about two books this year, haven't even looked for any new collectable items and the Sno runners are just sitting waiting to be finished. I've been laid off the past 6 months and only now I've I actually went to the gun range to shoot. Haven't in the past 3 years. It just seems that life has gotten rather busy, so the things that used to seem important aren't as much. My fiance does like the atv's, snowmobiling and boating so that helps to keep me into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 07:33 PM

438 posts, read 1,730,489 times
I think you're lucky to have so many hobbies! I have none and just started trying to figure out what I would like to try. I have no special talents so it makes it difficult.

Be happy you get enjoyment from so many things and just 'cluck' at him the next time he calls you a chicken

Old 11-28-2011, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 707 times
I just found this page and signed up!
I have to many hobbies as well! My family and my wife laugh when I want to start something new... they say I get hooked into something new, but too deeply. It kinda bugs me though... I started some of these hobbies at 20 years old to keep away from bars and improve my life style... but they kept accumulating... and I cant seem to drop any of them.

Muay thai ---> was first hobby started 7 years ago to quite drinking and smoking and other bad things trained in Thailand for a year (worked in the muay thai camp for room and board and payed other expenses with prize money)went pro and want to get into mixed martial arts---> now 2-3 months into judo and jujitsu

kendo ---> i've been liven in Japan for last 2 years (actully I came to Japan for a year to make more money before going back to Thailand for the second time to continue career, then met my wife and decided to stay here) so not starting Japanese arts seemed like a waste

rock climbing--> paired with muay thai to keep at a low fat percentage while in Canada. but since entering Japan, I havent found many rock walls within a reasonable distance.

Becoming a french haute chef ---> studying and will be attending school (march 2012) so I wont have to bartend and work at night while trying to start a family (met my wife in Japan and just got married last year )

violin---> bought one, was taking lessons but had to give it up due to recent job loss, balances out my martial arts... and want to be able to play for future children and friends.

guitar,bass---> played in bands all through my teens and like to play for my self and while camping... (bands are bad influences lol)

Fire breathing and eating, magic and bottle flair---> started bartending after coming back from first trip to Thailand to help me save for second visit, these skills improved my tips and while traveling, gave me a leg up while finding jobs.

Auto painting- not serious... but I paint my motorcycles when I get them and or when I get bored of old paint ( i buy used :P ) because I think store paint is for chumps lol.

traveler- started my first backpacking trip around Europe when I was 17 and will work and do hobbies to limit my money spending to go and travel again.

Airsoft - once a month or by monthly really... just in spring to fall.

I really know what you mean when you say you dont have time since you started your married life! The reason I was looking for this subject is that my wife said I'm crazy... sooo ya...
I dont think we are bad for starting so many hobbies, I mean... so many people waste there money and time doing things that are meaningless.... like watching t.v. all day or doing any kinda drug to keep them self from being bored on friday and sat night. But just like you Im having trouble dropping some of these.... airsoft is out, and can sell the gun, rock climbing... i dont want to quit...but its been along time... when me and the wife get to Canada next march maybe it can become a couples thing?!, can lose the bottle flair, but do fire shows at house partys and get togethers when requested, travel with the fam only when we can save enough money in the future... this is hard! but I guess it will sort itself by priority... let me know how your situation is turning out!

Old 11-28-2011, 07:35 PM

866 posts, read 1,136,712 times
My hobbies include:

crocheting
cooking/baking
some sewing(starting that one up again)
Making Christmas crafts Ornaments, tree skirts, whatever I need from year to year.

I want to learn how to throw pottery(have a childrens pottery wheel,but have never used it)

Would also like to try my hand at jewelry making,nothing intricate,mostly rustic/simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation