Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 04:01 PM

80 posts, read 112,121 times

Advertisements

Although this forum seems to be very much gun-oriented, I'm wondering if anyone might know something about railroads.

I need to know how long it would have taken a passenger train in 1925 to run from Minneapolis/St Paul to Philidelphia, PA.

If you know of a newbie-friendly railroad forum for me to try, that would also be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Jann
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 04:54 PM

672 posts, read 2,110,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JannAZ View Post
Although this forum seems to be very much gun-oriented, I'm wondering if anyone might know something about railroads.

I need to know how long it would have taken a passenger train in 1925 to run from Minneapolis/St Paul to Philidelphia, PA.

If you know of a newbie-friendly railroad forum for me to try, that would also be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Jann
I emailed a friend of mine who is a railroad fan. I'll let you know what he says.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:24 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,574,607 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance,
Jann

I'd guess no more than thirty hours. Trains at that time were very fast. Regularly sceduled trains had reached speeds of greater than 120 mph.

Broadway Limited - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-21-2011, 03:04 AM

672 posts, read 2,110,836 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance,
Jann
This is what my friend had to say:
"Its about 16 to 18 hours from Chicago to Phili. And, a guess, about 5 hours ATMOST to Minn/STP. So I would guess 20 to 24 hours. That uses the old B&O. The PRR was about 2 hours faster from Chicago to Phili, but I couldn't find times for that train. If needed, I'm sure I can find official timetables somewhere."

Old 07-21-2011, 05:48 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,207,483 times
This forum has some very knowledgeable railroad buffs
Prototype Railroading - Zealot Hobby Forum

Old 07-21-2011, 02:04 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,147,071 times
Happy in Wyoming: The 'Broadway Limited' was a very special train! Another consideration is what speed the trackage would support. Most trains didn't do anywhere near 120 mph! It also changed a great deal in 1938, 13 years after the time in question.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:36 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,574,607 times
"The greatest speed ever attained by a locomotive, of which there is any record, was made by Engine #999 of the N. Y. C. & H. R. R. R. on May 9th, 1893, having covered five consecutive miles at the rate of 102.8 miles per hour."

ref. Railroad Heritage: New York Central 4-4-0 locomotive #999 speed record

The railroad was planning this one. Every night the crew would push the train faster. This was on a regularly scheduled passenge train. Atlantic class locomotives were built for high speed passenger service.

"1905 - E7sa 4-4-2 Atlantic steam locomotive sets steam speed record of 127.2 mph near Crestline, Ohio"

ref. pennsylvania

Old 07-21-2011, 10:39 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,147,071 times
Sure. I know about those, but they were record speed attempts. I was referring to an average passenger train's scheduled speed circa 1925. I think that was germane to the original question.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:07 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,761,957 times
There was a publication called the Official Guide of the Railways and Steam Navigation Lines of the United States Porto Rico Canada Mexico and Cuba Official Guide of the Railways - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia issued monthly during the classic era of rail travel, which is how the station agent in every little town would route passengers and shipments from point A to point B. Most likely inquiry at a large library would find you a way to find the particular month in 1925 of interest. At some yard sale or something I picked up one of these for 1960 and even then (following much retrenchment compared to 1925 for sure) it was still easier to travel from little town to little town by passenger train generally than it is by bus today.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:00 AM

80 posts, read 112,121 times
Thank you all so very much for your input. I've been working on a short story where the characters have to go from the Twin Cities to Kensington. I was going to have them steal a "Jenny" and fly there, but I think they can go by train a whole lot easier. Now that I have a good frame of reference, I can "fudge" a little. I happen to be a librarian, so I'll see if I can't borrow a copy of that Official Guide. Google Books might even have it.

Again my thanks.
Cheers
Jann
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation