Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 12:10 AM

725 posts, read 1,892,069 times

Advertisements

Best ghost town I ever visited (so far) was Bodie State Park in CA. It was early summer when we went and it was really cold as the elevation was at about 9K feet of I remember correctly. It's a really big town and I was really amazed at how well preserved the buildings were and many of them still had original furnishings and bits and pieces like old oil cans and bottles and jars. I took many pictures but because we were not prepared for the cold temps we couldn't stay long but want to go back someday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 11:55 PM

2 posts, read 1,709 times
I've always been fond of ghost towns, especially old gold rush era towns in the foothills of northern California. There's quite a bit of abandoned mines, and buildings where we live and the history is amazing.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:42 PM

23,916 posts, read 32,238,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
Our family spent several vacations in the Sixties exploring western ghost towns before many sites became totally looted or turned into tourist traps. It was a fascinating way to learn some western history.

This is a terrific site for photographs:

Ghost Towns | Hundreds of Pictures of Ghost Towns from Arizona, California, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Idaho and Montana

Any abandoned place has thus drawn me in like a magnet ever since. I wander around trying to "read the ruins" and guess at the lives of the people who lived there. I guess they call it "urban exploring" nowadays:

Abandoned Places | WebUrbanist

Dark Roasted Blend: Abandoned Places & Urban Exploring

Is this a hobby for anyone here? Any secret places and/or tips you'd like to share?

My family in the 60s - 70s was not that ...cool. Or adventurous. But my family now is.

I have visited Centralia PA. The almost abandoned town that still burns like the flames of hell. from a mining mishap.
Very creepy. I *think* some people still live there.

I love history and hauntings! So abandoned former state hospitals are a natural for me! Kings Park in NY is one of the better ones. Edgewood, in Edgewood NY was demolished in the late 1980s because of danger to trespassers.

There is a state hospital in my current state (Ohio) that I have yet to visit.

But that is what October is for.

Many of the posts have focused on Western Ghost towns. I look forward to visiting those some time soon.

The Mid West and Eastern Rustbelt have many Ghost Towns to offer.

This link might be of interest - www.urbanghostsmedia.com/.../rust-belt-road-trip-75-urban-decay-pics

Last edited by sheena12; 08-21-2014 at 08:04 PM..

Old 12-21-2014, 08:03 PM

52 posts, read 47,692 times
Haha, very interesting, but I don't enough courage to go to those places.

Old 12-25-2014, 07:39 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,710,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
Any abandoned place has thus drawn me in like a magnet ever since. I guess they call it "urban exploring" nowadays:

That's exactly what it's called, urban exploration or urbex for short. There are several websites just for that and thousands of people that are into it, including myself. I have an ever growing list of places to explore and a bucket list of places that I'm watching and waiting to make my move to explore. The one thing you'll learn is that any explorer worth anything will never give out locations unless they really trust the person. It's very addicting and if you're into photography like I am you'll find out that some of the photos from these places are nothing short of incredible. Good luck and have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation