Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 08:50 PM

22 posts, read 33,464 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My son has a question about garden railroads.

Hoping there are folk on this hobby forum who are into trains.

"Is it true that garden railway gauges for the locomotive and cars are all 7.5 inch track even if the rolling stock is 4 inch gauge?
Will it run on 7.5 inch gauge track?"

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 12:27 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,562,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown tomatoes View Post
Hello,

Hoping there are folk on this hobby forum who are into trains.

"Is it true that garden railway gauges for the locomotive and cars are all 7.5 inch track even if the rolling stock is 4 inch gauge?

Thanks!
Gauges of garden railroads, called garden railways outside of the US, aren't much larger than inside model train gauges. A 4" gauge would be very large, a 7.5" gauge outside the bounds of a garden railroad. Gauges of 3.5" or more are large enough for people to ride. Small commercial miniature railroads at amusement parks, etc. almost always use gauges of 14" or less. Outside railroads frequently feature locomotives using live steam, sometimes even coal-fired.

The width of the equipment is not closely related to the width of the track. Modern railroads of this sort use wider equipment for a given gauge than in times past. 4" equipment wouldn't be used on a 7.5" gauge; it just wouldn't work. However, the opposite would work well.

Depending on usage, a miniature railroad may mean a model railroad or it may mean a railroad of a size large enough to carry passengers and even freight. There was a law passed in the US over a century ago requiring a two man crew in the operation of a steam locomotive. This effectively killed the industry. However, in Great Britain 10"- 24" railroads were common in industrial settings as well as many estates and even in short line revenue service as well as tourist lines. In addition to railroads, steam vehicles of all sorts were popular in Great Britain, and today there is still great interest. Steam fairs are relatively common and very popular there.

Garden railway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ridable miniature railway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

British industrial narrow gauge railways - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is a bare start. There is an immense amount of information on railways of all sizes from toys up.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:43 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,161,239 times
I dont know much about Garden railways other than i wish i had a garden and enough money to build a garden railway.I'll have to stick with my 4'X8' N scale in the basement for now.A good resource for all things railroad is =
Trains & Railroads - Zealot Hobby Forum

There used to be a garden railway TV show, a trip to youtube will bring up all the episodes.
Heres an example of some ones passion into the garden railroad hobby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESwDbeQyF1A

Old 05-23-2012, 11:37 AM

3,513 posts, read 7,763,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown tomatoes View Post
Hello,

I had a garden railway, but I don't think it's the same of what your thinking. Garden Railways usually refer to G Scale model trains that run on 45 mm wide (1.772 in) track. Each train car is about the size of a loaf of bread and runs from $40 to several hundred dollars each. The locomotives usually run about $200 to $300, but I purchased a used one for as little as $40 and you can spend up to $6,000 for some locomotives. The track is designed to be installed outdoors, usually in a garden. Usually the trains are only brought outside when actively using / playing with them.

My layout consisted of a 200 foot long oval track in a garden setting. When I sold the house I had to take down the layout and haven't had the time to set it back up again in my new house. I did set up a smaller layout in my basement, I haven't measured it, but I would say its 120 foot of track.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:42 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,315,545 times
No. But my wife and I are thinking of installing one in a couple of years (when we get around to landscaping). I think it would be a hoot to have it make a pass through the front yard on the hour. That way the neighbours can bring their kids by to watch it at an appointed time. Then they can call ours "the train house".

Old 06-16-2012, 09:13 AM

23,563 posts, read 70,166,587 times
Your son may be confusing live steamers, which run on the 7.5" gauge (width between rails), with something else he has seen, with the common garden railroad. Walt Disney had a 7.5" gauge railroad at home.

7.5" in South Florida
Tradewinds & Atlantic Railroad

The recognized gauges are 1, 2½, 3½, 4¾, 7¼, 7½, 10¼, and 15 inch gauge.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:37 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,562,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Your son may be confusing live steamers, which run on the 7.5" gauge (width between rails), with something else he has seen, with the common garden railroad. Walt Disney had a 7.5" gauge railroad at home.

7.5" in South Florida
Tradewinds & Atlantic Railroad

The recognized gauges are 1, 2½, 3½, 4¾, 7¼, 7½, 10¼, and 15 inch gauge.
Live steam does not require 7.5". There are RTR models available on G and (I believe) O gauges. A 3 !/2" is adequate for carrying human passengers. Gauges have generally become smaller in recent years. You can find plenty of live steam on the internet.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:14 AM

23,563 posts, read 70,166,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Live steam does not require 7.5". There are RTR models available on G and (I believe) O gauges. A 3 !/2" is adequate for carrying human passengers. Gauges have generally become smaller in recent years. You can find plenty of live steam on the internet.
Sorry if I gave that impression. I'm aware that steam is not confined to any particular gauge, although IIRC, the smaller gauges manytimes do not develop the pressures needed to be considered "live" steam.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:40 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,127,701 times
yes I have a G-guage layout in my yard and am a member of rocky mountain g scalers here in the springs.
I also have visited 7.5 inch layouts and 15 inch layouts at Stillson RR Park in Scottsdale, Az. Those guys with their riding trains need some ROOM to run and also have some serious bucks in the hobby. A simple gas engine engine runs about $5000 and I talked with a guy that brought his live steamer to show and run that told me is engine/ tender cost him $250,000. Way past my ability to play! Any serious questions PM me~ I'll be glad to answer any questions

Old 07-05-2012, 04:24 PM

24,774 posts, read 28,442,081 times
Gauge Chart you can down load Large-scale basics: Download our scale and gauge chart - Garden Railways Magazine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation