Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hobbies in moderation, extreme, or less extreme
Moderation 11 45.83%
Extreme 10 41.67%
Less extreme 1 4.17%
Other 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 12:47 PM

103 posts, read 208,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coors View Post
Moderation: Live to do it another day.

Extreme: Practice makes perfect and live your hobbies to the fullest any chance you get.

Less extreme: It's good to get away for awhile to reset and be diverse in other hobbies.[Please note that getting away is like a vacation and not considered a moderate get away or moderation]

Other: ???

Please explain why you feel this way. Thank you
I voted less extreme because I don't ever want to known as hardcore. Also, I rather have more depth and fit in more hobbies or just put more time into non-hobby things as opposed to being moderate. Because hobbies are time consuming.

I've done extreme and it's good for the first month then I get burnt out, motivation depreciates faster, and mostly because when I get fustrated it stays with me the next day.

I've done moderation which is more of my speed but I need to forget about my hobby sometimes and concentrate on other skills or events. Plus too, the longer you're away the more you want it the next time imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 01:36 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Everything in moderation..

Old 09-28-2011, 02:09 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
Where does one draw the line between "less extreme" and "in moderation"?

Old 09-28-2011, 04:29 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Moderation: Macro Photography
Extreme: Martial Arts
Less Extreme: Knife collection

You kinda have to factor in time + money spent to really determine of something is extreme or not. For example, my knife collection is less extreme which means I probably get a new knife or two every couple of weeks. But, sometimes the cost for a single knife could be $200 - $350. The macro photography involves a rather inexpensive SLR, but a couple of VERY expensive lenses. I do it occasionally, but factor in the cost of the lenses and time spent developing photos in Creative Suite and it could be considered extreme.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Where does one draw the line between "less extreme" and "in moderation"?
Less extreme you can forget about it 100% and not even think about it for days like a vacation. Almost to a point where you don't even care about it but inside you still have a furnace of devoution to it ready to explode.

In moderation, you can't. You're always thinking about it.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:21 PM

That seems completely opposite to how I think of it. "In moderation" means you are always thinking about it? That seems extreme to me.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:51 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
When it comes to hobbies in general, I would probably be considered extreme. I think about my hobbies pretty much all the time. I'm interested in a lot of different things though, so I don't know how that factors in.

Jewelry making is definitely my extreme hobby. I have a full work bench set up in my guest bedroom (doesn't look as crazy as that probably sounds) and another bench in the garage where I have my larger torch. My husband only wants me to use the small torch inside, which makes sense. I've got so much equipment at this point, I know I've invested several thousand dollars. Not to mention the cost of the supplies (silver being over $40 for awhile there really sucked and natural gemstones aren't cheap either).

So, if extreme is a measure of cost, then I'm probably there. I'm always planning a new piece in my head... I think I probably already have more drawings of pieces than I'll ever be able to make. If I can ever sell my house I will have to do some serious soul searching to decide if we should buy a cheaper house next so I can make jewelry into a career. Or maybe I'll win the lottery one of these days... I can dream, right?

Old 10-06-2011, 10:49 PM

These days, I imagine that some of the settings/rings are more expensive than the gemstones (at least some semi-precious ones). And what's up with platinum being less expensive than gold? That seems weird to me.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Moderation: Macro Photography
Extreme: Martial Arts
Less Extreme: Knife collection

You kinda have to factor in time + money spent to really determine of something is extreme or not. For example, my knife collection is less extreme which means I probably get a new knife or two every couple of weeks. But, sometimes the cost for a single knife could be $200 - $350. The macro photography involves a rather inexpensive SLR, but a couple of VERY expensive lenses. I do it occasionally, but factor in the cost of the lenses and time spent developing photos in Creative Suite and it could be considered extreme.
Definitely. Money is tricky though because some hobbies don't require much of it. And you can still use gear that's older for a decent amount of time if it's taken good care of, buy second hand, make instead of buy, etc. To be extreme, I would need to see a great passion or a storm of some sort with the a lot of time invested in it.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
If I can ever sell my house I will have to do some serious soul searching to decide if we should buy a cheaper house next so I can make jewelry into a career. Or maybe I'll win the lottery one of these days... I can dream, right?
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation