U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 03:25 AM

20,355 posts, read 16,646,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
. Always wanted to get into R/C Airplanes, but they're expensive and I really do not have much of a clue on how to get started.
Theres a whole new generation of RC planes, they are electric and usually a group of enthusiasts will meet at a gymn once a week and try to emulate this guy =
Great RC Airplane Pilot

Or if the RC thing is a bit expensive there are hundreds of different kites that can provide hours of entertainment, heres a 4 liner.=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9SNOilQglE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 06:30 AM

1,162 posts, read 2,216,557 times
Hobbies have their beginnings in things you like a lot when you're a kid. Lots of young people love airplanes, so they wind up doing what others have suggested here about flying electric planes, and of course there are those who want to learn to fly REAL airplanes. Likewise, young people tend to like animals like horses, too, so they spend their time going down to the horse stables and riding them. Some families make their children take lessons in piano, and at some point down the road, they wind up flipping that around and learning to play a particular instrument, with guitar very popular on account of rock bands and so forth. Some kids like doing what their parents do, which moms sometimes like to garden, and so the children will learn the basics, and later spend lots of time out in the yard growing flowers or vegetables. Lots of dads like to fool with their cars, and so kids will learn how to change the oil, identify favs of the old man, and pretty soon they're all into hot rods and racing and vintage cars.

Some of the more popular hobbies include: Dancing (salsa is hot now, but tango is truly an art), painting artwork (take classes, or buy paint or clay and fool with it), tennis (takes two, but swimming takes one), puzzles (soduku, crosswords, or table pieces), making stuff (clothes, quilts, furniture), photography is something just about anybody can do, so is jogging for health reasons, hiking or biking, boating, fishing, there are clubs for just about anything you can imagine usually listed in a local entertainment paper, collecting stuff you like including antiques or glass, basketball or volleyball with school or work friends...

So, if you want a hobby, just think about things you like a lot or that you're good at or that you wish you knew how to do. Then pursue it, take classes, practice, see if you like it. I have a relative who gave golfing a shot, went all the way with it, and decided it was not for him; but talk about a great card player, that man is a master. Try several things at once, if you want to, until one really makes you feel good when you're doing it. Then read about it, find out everything you can about it, get better and better at doing it, and just make some time in your day to fool with it as often as you like, join a club of like-minded people if you like social interaction. In fact, reading in general will sometimes open up doors to things you never knew you were interested in... I got all involved in reading nonfiction, I'd go to the library and just visit that section, and next thing I knew I found out I was a natural at design, so I always have a notebook and pen handy and when TV shows come on about decorating, I'm busy making my drawings, and I'll incorporate some things I learn into my own home, and then I studied art for a while until I knew the value of things and would pay some good money for a framed picture, and then I went ahead and painted my own pictures.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:38 PM

1,560 posts, read 2,034,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rift View Post
I don't have any hobbies at all. I lost interest in most things a long long time ago. Anyone else like this?

I mean I am interested in some things, but nothing that could be considered a hobby or an activity.

Life is pretty boring for me...though I am open to new things and new ideas.

I do go to the gym and enjoy running and being outside, but other than that I don't have one thing that I do or like to do.
Being out side you could buy a log splitter get fee hard wood from tree workers (they have to pay to dump it) and you can sell the fire wood. Home depot or super mkts. get $9.99 for 10 small fire place tiny logs.You could whole sale the logs to any local C Store or gas station,that is if you live in the northern part of the USA.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:51 PM

4 posts, read 3,620 times
just go out and get yourself in activities, whether you are paying or going for free. you might realize that there are aspects of these activities that you can't enjoy or get enough of

Old 04-04-2012, 03:01 PM

8 posts, read 6,865 times
Remember when we get older our tastes change it happens all the time it is just a part of getting older. Have you tried to pick up any of your old hobbies up again?

Does anything new have any interest to you? If so do research on the subject try to talk to others who are involved in that hobbie and try it out yourself. Just try new things and see how it feels to you. Remember that is how you found your hobbies as a kid in the first place.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:27 AM

22,998 posts, read 17,958,677 times
I don't know, the OP running and going to the gym seems ambitious enough to me if that takes up some of their non-work time. You might want to join some runner's club and get involved with competition instead of just running for the heck of it.

I don't think you can plan for a hobby. Something just happens that piques your interest and you're off to the races. Getting a hobby just so you can say you have one doesn't seem right to me.

Some people, like me, are serial hobbyists/activity lovers. I found out I wasn't the only one posting to C-D. We love each one of them passionately for a few years and then are on to the next one which we love just as passionately as the old hobby that we dropped cold turkey. Not sure what this says about us serial hobbyists. At 60, and except for reading, I definitely don't have the same hobbies I had as a kid. Don't even have the same hobby I had in the early 2000's and that wasn't the same one I had in the early 1990s and that wasn't the same one I had in the 1980s, etc. Loved them all when I was doing them but when I'm on to the next one, it's like the old one never existed.

If the OP is busy, I wouldn't worry about having no hobbies. But when you retire and need to fill up a former 40 hour work week, you probably need to think about how you want to spend your free time because you'll have a lot of it.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:29 PM

3,069 posts, read 3,787,749 times
If I had money, I would have all kinds of hobbies. Since I don't, my hobbies are nonexistent. I will probably get a guitar and try to teach myself, as that is free. I could probably spring for a class once every other month.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:45 PM

278 posts, read 190,814 times
rc airplanes is a good one. also ive spent months reading about home theater equipment (tvs, speakers, av receivers etc. etc.) having already installed a few for myself friends and family. tons to learn i am having a blast

Old 04-15-2012, 10:05 PM

4 posts, read 3,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
If I had money, I would have all kinds of hobbies. Since I don't, my hobbies are nonexistent. I will probably get a guitar and try to teach myself, as that is free. I could probably spring for a class once every other month.
same here!

Old 09-01-2013, 07:36 AM

12 posts, read 5,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rift View Post
I don't have any hobbies at all. I lost interest in most things a long long time ago. Anyone else like this?

I mean I am interested in some things, but nothing that could be considered a hobby or an activity.

Life is pretty boring for me...though I am open to new things and new ideas.

I do go to the gym and enjoy running and being outside, but other than that I don't have one thing that I do or like to do.
ive spent my whole life in occupations that didn't afford one with the opportunities for long term hobby/interest of many sorts... i take a good deal of photos so i guess i could consider that one, but i dont go out of my way to do it. unless it is depressing you i'd not worry about it too much. so much to see and do in this old world anyway... why tie your lifes effort to one part of the minutia at best...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation