U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-21-2011, 08:24 PM

213 posts, read 330,907 times
Default No hobbies at all

I don't have any hobbies at all. I lost interest in most things a long long time ago. Anyone else like this?

I mean I am interested in some things, but nothing that could be considered a hobby or an activity.

Life is pretty boring for me...though I am open to new things and new ideas.

I do go to the gym and enjoy running and being outside, but other than that I don't have one thing that I do or like to do.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 08:53 PM

2,055 posts, read 2,719,524 times
Try cliff jumping. Seriously, I don't mean that sarcastically.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:30 AM

7,278 posts, read 7,153,483 times
You could be suffering from depression. Lack of interest in anything is a common sign.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:34 AM

11,806 posts, read 13,126,921 times
I have always had too many hobbies! ($$$)

Old 10-22-2011, 04:07 AM

19,392 posts, read 13,802,724 times
I'll assume you are looking to find more interests in life,
Try inputting a potential interest along with location in Meetup.com.(Its set for my location in the link)
Find a Meetup Group near you - Meetup
Try hiring the services of a life coach to get you more enthused in life.
Sounds like you have no family to keep you busy,might be something to work on.
Job? you might get away with this lack of interest while you are working but once you retire a lack of passion in anything will drive you to severe depression..

Old 10-22-2011, 12:06 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,813,485 times
How about reading? As you read you may find an interest along the way through the books that interest you. Or perhaps you could do some volunteering somewhere. There are so many out there that need help. Just making a couple batches of brownies or cookies and take them to a food kitchen or shelter can be rewarding. You have alot to offer that you may not even realize it.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:43 PM

21,532 posts, read 16,166,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rift View Post
I don't have any hobbies at all. I lost interest in most things a long long time ago. Anyone else like this?

I mean I am interested in some things, but nothing that could be considered a hobby or an activity.

Life is pretty boring for me...though I am open to new things and new ideas.

I do go to the gym and enjoy running and being outside, but other than that I don't have one thing that I do or like to do.
How old are you? You don't have to give an exact age (20s, 30s, 40s, teens, over 50, retired, etc.) You know, I might have some ideas if you are over 50/retired but wouldn't have a clue if you were a teen.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:06 AM

11,102 posts, read 24,036,806 times
Classic sign of depression.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:15 AM

27,337 posts, read 21,023,339 times
I don't know about that.

13 years ago, I started medical school. I was the kind of person who had hobbies coming out of my hooha. I loved all my activities, from reading to martial arts to playing music to horseback riding to restoring motorcycles to competitive billiards to pick-up basketball games...I was even on the college bowling team.

Then, for 8 straight years, I didn't have time to do ANY of those things (100 hour weeks, etc) except maybe reading.

When I finally pulled my head out of it and got settled in my first job (at the age of 29), I found myself kind of lost...I didn't know what to do or...it was kind of like I had forgotten how to enjoy myself. Because I wasn't used to having any free time. Or if I had free time, I didn't have a speck of energy to do anything.

I have learned about taking vacations to go snorkeling/free diving. Those are great. But that's once, maybe twice a year at most. It's 6 years after finishing residency, and I am just starting to cultivate hobbies again. I got a piano...I have really gotten into cooking, I learned to knit, I still read about 5 books a week, I like decorating the house and planting stuff outside, and I work out...but it's not the same. I still haven't figured out how to inject passion into my hobbies like I used to.

I know how you feel, op. It's like you do stuff cuz you enjoy it, but I want a hobby I'm insanely passionate about. Otherwise work feels like it swallows up my life.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:40 PM

6 posts, read 5,100 times
There are great reasons to find a new hobby and there are a lot of hobbies available to you. Having a hobby is a great way to reduce the stress in your life.
Regardless of what you like to do you can find something that matches your interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation