Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2011, 01:02 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Judgmental, self-righteous, air-fanning, anti-smoker zealots are even more unattractive.
I disagree. I try to be polite and not make a stink (ha!) but when you're smoking next to me then I'm going to cough a little and let you know I don't appreciate having my space polluted. Nothing over the top, but just because you don't think it's all that bad doesn't mean the people around you won't mind.

I always think heavy smokers smell like urinals. Something in all that smoke just reminds me of a nasty public bathroom and coming home stinking is the worst part about the bars that let you smoke inside. Unfortunately they tend to be the only ones that are open past 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 01:50 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I disagree. I try to be polite and not make a stink (ha!) but when you're smoking next to me then I'm going to cough a little and let you know I don't appreciate having my space polluted. Nothing over the top, but just because you don't think it's all that bad doesn't mean the people around you won't mind.

I always think heavy smokers smell like urinals. Something in all that smoke just reminds me of a nasty public bathroom and coming home stinking is the worst part about the bars that let you smoke inside. Unfortunately they tend to be the only ones that are open past 2.

Isn't that funny? I've always felt similar revulsion for those who stay in bars until 2 AM. There's nothing worse than an early morning drunk.

But, it would never occur to me to let you know how I feel about your weakness. That would be rude and condescending since we ALL have some kind of weakness, don't we?

Old 12-14-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Isn't that funny? I've always felt similar revulsion for those who stay in bars until 2 AM. There's nothing worse than an early morning drunk.

But, it would never occur to me to let you know how I feel about your weakness. That would be rude and condescending since we ALL have some kind of weakness, don't we?

Ha, that was a really sad attempt to turn my words on me. And how presumptuous to think that I'm drunk at any point during the nights I stay out late.

I'm not sure how enjoying a certain social scene is a "weakness", but if that particular trait of mine made me and the people near me reek and put their health in danger, I would not find it all that shocking if they were to subtly let me know that they did not appreciate my participation in said activity.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:01 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
Ha, that was a really sad attempt to turn my words on me. And how presumptuous to think that I'm drunk at any point during the nights I stay out late.

I'm not sure how enjoying a certain social scene is a "weakness", but if that particular trait of mine made me and the people near me reek and put their health in danger, I would not find it all that shocking if they were to subtly let me know that they did not appreciate my participation in said activity.
So...you don't consider drinking and driving dangerous to others?

Old 12-15-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
I know this may come as a surprise, but you can go out at night and not drink and drive home at the end of the night. And if I did participate in such an activity, I would fully expect to have other people express their disapproval. Probably in a manner less polite than a little cough and air waving.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
I also find it interesting that you would compare smoking to driving drunk. Indeed, they are both activities that are dangerous to the active participant and those around them and you're taking a serious gamble with your life as to whether you'll be the lucky one who walks away unharmed or another statistic.

And I'd still take the self-righteous one waving their hand in front of their face over the smoker.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:22 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
I know this may come as a surprise, but you can go out at night and not drink and drive home at the end of the night. And if I did participate in such an activity, I would fully expect to have other people express their disapproval. Probably in a manner less polite than a little cough and air waving.
Quote:
I also find it interesting that you would compare smoking to driving drunk. Indeed, they are both activities that are dangerous to the active participant and those around them and you're taking a serious gamble with your life as to whether you'll be the lucky one who walks away unharmed or another statistic.

And I'd still take the self-righteous one waving their hand in front of their face over the smoker.
You will find that there are those among us that give not a care what other people think about how we live our lives. We believe that people who criticize, or attempt to sit in judgement of, us are not taking care of their own life or are failures at life they just gotta try and make others feel as bad about them as they do.

Minding your own business is a very fruitful way to live life. You might try it sometime.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
You will find that there are those among us that give not a care what other people think about how we live our lives. We believe that people who criticize, or attempt to sit in judgement of, us are not taking care of their own life or are failures at life they just gotta try and make others feel as bad about them as they do.

Minding your own business is a very fruitful way to live life. You might try it sometime.
Isn't it a little contradictory to claim you mind your own business and don't care about what others think, and then turn around and call those who aren't like you failures at life?

I'd much rather live in a world full of people who were considerate of those around them instead of people who "mind their own business." Fact is, if you're smoking in a public place then your business is also the business of everyone in a 5 foot radius. If being a little judgemental means sparing my lungs, I think it's a fair trade.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:16 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Isn't it a little contradictory to claim you mind your own business and don't care about what others think, and then turn around and call those who aren't like you failures at life?

I'd much rather live in a world full of people who were considerate of those around them instead of people who "mind their own business." Fact is, if you're smoking in a public place then your business is also the business of everyone in a 5 foot radius. If being a little judgemental means sparing my lungs, I think it's a fair trade.
You might try this to enrich your life and leave others in peace.........

"Minding your own business is a very fruitful way to live life. You might try it sometime."

Old 12-15-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
You might try this to enrich your life and leave others in peace.........

"Minding your own business is a very fruitful way to live life. You might try it sometime."

If you get to repeat the same thing over again without actually responding, so do I .

I'm not exactly tackling anyone who lights up, but if the guy next to me at a bar starts blowing smoke in my direction, I'm not going to breathe deep and pretend it doesn't bother me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation