Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2012, 04:27 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Not in the least. My offer still stands... Put your money where your mouth is. I will.

I do need to ask the forum if anyone brought up in the North has ever heard of this term 'to crawfish someone'... I had to go look it up. But to digress, any state south of Illinois we Northerner's really don't care what they think or know, as there is limited significant value there. We only regret that Sherman (and Mexico) didn't clean up.
No, this is the first time I've ever seen it, and now I'm going to have to look it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 03:40 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
This is what a Crawfish (or, Crawdad or Mud Bug) does when threatened:

Backing it up, Crawfish - YouTube

But, it's alright brother. I won't hold you to your promise.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:37 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I smoked in my younger days, until I got a clue. I'm in favor of individual rights to smoke or not smoke, but here is my opinion of how smokers are perceived by others...
as less intelligent
as poor losers
as people who have no self control
as pathetic slaves to a substance that they can't afford
as people who stink
as people who are time wasters (ie lazy)

When I see a smoker now, I want to avert my eyes, thinking they are a poor sap.
I work in a county position, and we share a parking lot with the Sheriffs Department and County Courthouse. Guess who most of the smokers are? Pretty much the entire Sheriffs Department, most of the police officers, prison guards, and both of the District Attorneys... some of these guys are HUGE, ex-military, and often in full uniform (gun and all) while on their smoke breaks in the back patio. I just thought of them when I read your "perceptions" above, and pictured how they'd enjoy hearing your wonderful list. I'm sure you'd be bold enough to tell them they're perceived as stupid & poor losers, time wasters, pathetic slobs, and lacking in self control. Yeah, that would go over well!

Now don't tell me that's just how OTHER people see them, because it's clearly become your opinion too - and how judgmental a person must be, to draw such offensive (and often incorrect) assumptions based on a stranger's one bad habit. Do you also avert your eyes at liquor stores, bars, nightclubs, and fast food restaurants?

P.S. Where would the assumption smokers can't afford cigarettes come from, exactly? You could possibly defend those other perceived qualities, but I'm not sure how anyone could know somebody's financial situation by looking at them. Homeless people aside, of course.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
How about people like me that have quit but still have no desire to berate, belittle or stick my nose in someone else's business or vices as the case may be? Do you have a classification for me?
I'd call you a reasonable and intelligent human being, who understands the concept of "personal liberty" and doesn't judge others without knowing them first.

Too bad more people these days aren't in your "classification," huh?

Old 01-05-2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
There is no 'pedestal' here (not sure where that even came from). All I stated is that I have no respect for any smokers, and I am entitled to that personal opinion.
Yes, you are entitled to an opinion. But saying you have no respect for any smokers IS putting yourself on a pedestal... because you didn't say "I have no respect for their addiction, what they're doing to their health, etc." Your lack of respect comes from one aspect of their life, an unhealthy habit that has nothing to do with whether or not they're otherwise a great person. And that is the epitome of self-righteousness, or putting oneself on a pedestal.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:04 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
That sounds reasonable to me. I smoked a pack a day for 25 years and quit, and I don't allow one characteristic to define an entire person. After all, I was once a smoker. It was very hard for me to quit, and if I hadn't really wanted to I wouldn't have succeeded. I regard it as one's right to smoke in any case. (Cf. my post #258 on page 26 of this thread)

Old 01-05-2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
That sounds reasonable to me. I smoked a pack a day for 25 years and quit, and I don't allow one characteristic to define an entire person. After all, I was once a smoker. It was very hard for me to quit, and if I hadn't really wanted to I wouldn't have succeeded. I regard it as one's right to smoke in any case. (Cf. my post #258 on page 26 of this thread)
Your opinion sounds reasonable to me too!

I've been smoking for almost 20 years, which I fully realize is 20 years too long. But as another poster mentioned, most of us started young for stupid reasons (in my case @ 15 because my "cool friend" smoked too)... and by the time you're old enough to understand this, the addiction has already grabbed hold. I'm finally at the point of really wanting to quit, so hopefully this is the year! Regardless, that one bad choice of mine doesn't make me a loser, or stupid in general. Even the smartest people can make a bad decision, you know?

Old 01-05-2012, 11:35 PM

P.S. Can I ask what method of quitting worked for you? Still trying to determine the most successful method, between cold turkey vs weaning and/or nicotine replacement products.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:45 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yes, you are entitled to an opinion. But saying you have no respect for any smokers IS putting yourself on a pedestal... because you didn't say "I have no respect for their addiction, what they're doing to their health, etc." Your lack of respect comes from one aspect of their life, an unhealthy habit that has nothing to do with whether or not they're otherwise a great person. And that is the epitome of self-righteousness, or putting oneself on a pedestal.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

If you knew what I have been through, you would have no respect for me either.

Just because I disagree with someone's habits does NOT make me in ANY way superior (i.e. pedestal). Everyone is free to do whatever they want. I am sure I can come up with a whole pile of things that I have done that would tend to make you not respect me.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------

If you knew what I have been through, you would have no respect for me either.

Just because I disagree with someone's habits does NOT make me in ANY way superior (i.e. pedestal). Everyone is free to do whatever they want. I am sure I can come up with a whole pile of things that I have done that would tend to make you not respect me.
I respect everyone until they give me a personal reason not to... what you've done in your past, the bad habits you've had, your lifestyle, etc, will not make me lose respect for you. I'm no angel myself, so I'd be a hypocrite to say otherwise! Are you saying you have no respect for yourself either? If so, that's a problem you might want to tackle before judging others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation