Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 06:30 PM

3,486 posts, read 6,507,283 times

Advertisements

I learned to dive in the mid-1960s. To illustrate, my personal rig was a pair of 38's (cubic feet of course) on an aluminum pack-frame, hooked to a two-stage, double-hose regulator. (Anybody remember the ancient television series Sea Hunt, starring Lloyd Bridges?)

I preferred the twin 38's over the then-popular single 72 because of the much-improved balance and slightly longer stay-time. My diving was limited to the central Gulf Coast. Even so, and due to the depredations of WWII, there were plenty of wrecks to explore.

I had to sell my rig in the mid-1970s to cover my bills. Occasionally I miss diving terribly.

-- Nighteyes (far too old to dive, but NEVER too old to remember what it was like...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 08:46 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,605 times
Stonecypher, I have learned over my few years of diving in the waters of the PNW t inspect every inch of my dry suit every time. It doesn't take much in these chilly waters to have a problem become a life threatening issue.
Your instructor should have never let you and your husband decend with the intent of "waiting for the instructor" that is poor judgement on his part.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:18 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
We dive in Lake Superior.
Liquid ice.
At about 40ft, 50ft the temp alarm sounds, 31*f
wtf it's the middle of AUG

There are a lot of nicely preserved wrecks to dive on.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:01 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
Great shark picture. I tried to talk hubby into a shark-diving vacation a few years later ("We'll be in a cage and it will be PERFECTLY safe!"), but he just rolled his eyes and hummed the theme from Jaws.
The trip we took was $100 a diver, extra $20 to dive without the cage. The cage was connected to the boat, you could always stand up for air. That was the single pic my buddy's camera took, at least it was of me. He had the cheap throw away for pool use, once we were at 40 feet the camera compressed and would not advance. I had a scuba camera and took a full roll.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:27 PM

419 posts, read 1,921,063 times
I 1st started diving back in the late 70's. After growing up watching Sea Hunt a buddy and I signed up for a class. Our 1st open water dive was in a Florida spring ... damn cold, but visibility was fantastic. Over the years, diving was a passion and I eventually got into photography.

My 1st experience with UW photos was with a Nikonos II camera. That was in Cozumel Mexico in the early 80's. Since that time. I have taken over 1000 pictures UW and presently own several Nikonos cameras. Although they may be useless today, they were state of the art before the digital cameras.

I've dove in many parts of the world and will always remember everyone of those dives. The 1st time you encounter a wreck, a big animal or just the vast expanse of the ocean can be overwhelming. It's a great sport. Glad others are pursuing the adventure.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:32 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,580,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
YDid you get the chance to dive the Takai Maru and the Cormoran? Out toward Gun Beach off the reef there were a number of Zero's in about 100' of water, they were interesting.
Yes, I have many dives on the Tokai and Cormoran. In fact, I took a wreck diving course on Guam and we did two dives on both those wrecks as part of the course.

Never did the zeros. I dove Gun Beach maybe once, but no one said anything about zeros in the water.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:04 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
Yes, I have many dives on the Tokai and Cormoran. In fact, I took a wreck diving course on Guam and we did two dives on both those wrecks as part of the course.

Never did the zeros. I dove Gun Beach maybe once, but no one said anything about zeros in the water.
I also took my wreck diving course on Guam, the dive shop was Coral Reef Divers, I think they are now out of business. Around Palau there are a few wrecks, mostly Amtracks around the area that was called Bloody Beach. There wasn't much left of them.

I find it interesting that the Cormoran was sunk during WWI and the Tokai was sunk during WWII and the Tokai is sitting on top of the Cormoran, geez, whats the odds of that happening again.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:16 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,580,255 times
It's the only place in the world that you can dive on two wrecks from two world wars on the same dive.

When I was in Palau, we dove on a couple of wrecks. Unfortunately, all my dive gear was stolen a few years after my trip to Palau and my dive logs were in the bag, so I don't remember the names of the ships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation