Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 02:03 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,508,755 times

Advertisements

Lately, I've been feeling some pressure (from friends/family) to join Facebook. I'm 58 and certainly didn't grow up with any kind of social media. I'm suspicious/leery of the consequences of joining, but at the same time I'm fascinated with the concept as a social phenomenon. I tend to be a private person, but at the same time I have a great group of friends. Your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 02:08 PM

4,435 posts, read 8,122,653 times
I'm 31 and don't have a facebook account either. I have no intention of signing up for one either. I do have a Google+ account that I got bamboozled into creating, but I don't use it other than to see pics my family/friends occasionally publish.

To be honest, I'm over this online social phenomenon.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:14 PM

393 posts, read 1,202,386 times
I'm 58 and I've had a FB account for about 4 years. It's fun to be able to keep up with friends. I just wish my friends would post and comment more! Go for it. If you don't like it, you can always delete or suspend your account. I wish FB had existed when we were kids. I would have been in heaven. Instead, I had to settle for my pink princess telephone.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:15 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,028,585 times
Set everything to private.
Add ONLY the close friends of whom you speak.
Make sure you're unsearchable.

Thoroughly check out ALL the settings pages; if you aren't comfortable doing it on your own,
ask a FB-savvy friend to help.

You might find you like it; I was surprised that I like it. Good luck.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:17 PM

9,873 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
I'm 31 and don't have a facebook account either. I have no intention of signing up for one either. I do have a Google+ account that I got bamboozled into creating, but I don't use it other than to see pics my family/friends occasionally publish.

To be honest, I'm over this online social phenomenon.
totally agree. 37, and no Facebook account. No one should feel pressured to get one.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:18 PM

1,256 posts, read 4,194,278 times
A transient social experiment that has no apparent utility to THIS poster. Everyone that I'm at all interested in I "follow" via phone calls or email. My brother, on the other hand, has more than a thousand "friends"...that is beyond stupid.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:19 PM

224 posts, read 545,879 times
I think at 58, the problems that most people encounter with it will be solved with common sense.

ie, posting drunk pictures that will get you fired, starting flaming comment wars with relatives, divulging personal information you don't want shared.

For an adult, as a tool to just share pictures and howyadoin's its great. Most of the problems that arise are either the result of a raging case of immaturity or lack of common sense. Don't click the ads, don't give permission to any apps, and you should be fine.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:19 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,170,151 times
See, I'm on Facebook constantly (I'm 2 months shy of 35). It is like a constant online conversation for me with friends all over the country. I used to do lots of email, and now I Facebook to keep up with people. It is fun for me.

My mom joined a couple years ago and she's on a lot, too. Not everyone loves it, but we both do. It has been a great way for us to connect with old friends, new friends, distant family.

I'm a social person, so it makes me feel like I'm involved in these people's lives when, before, our contact would be an occasional email and a christmas letter. This is so much more interactive.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:30 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
I am 48 and joined last year. I have everything set to private. I log on about once a day (sometimes I forget). I have been able to reconnect with a lot of old friends and see what they are doing and I really enjoy that. But I never have had it consume my life. It's what you make of it.

For my friends that I see "real time" we don't do anything together on Facebook. For me, it is strictly reserved for people I can't see but would like to stay in contact with.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:33 PM

771 posts, read 1,458,822 times
Considering how much you can personalize your privacy settings, I think there is no reason to worry about the consequences of joining. I couldn't care less if people stole the information I share through Facebook, it would be completely useless to them. Except if they want to offer me a discount related to some activity I really like, which frankly I wouldn't mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation