Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 11:47 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times

Advertisements

I've been a board gamer for over 50 years. Here in Dallas there is a once a month game group called Dallas Marathon Gamers. It meets all day Friday - Sunday monthly and averages between 80-120 adults each time.

I tend to like economic, resource-gathering centered games like Le Havre, Agricola, Merkador, Trajan, Outpost, Scepter of Zavandor, to name a few. The great thing about challenging, adult games is that it is about the only hobby I know where people of different socio-economic, racial, gender, and age groups can come together and interact without letting any of those differences interfere with their ability to socially interact.

if you are into science fiction based games, Eminent Domain, Core Worlds, and Eclipse appear to be favorites in our group.

It can be a lot of fun and you won't regret any of it the next morning!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 10:11 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Thanks to all in this thread for the ideas and links. My board gaming was getting boring. Now I can check out a few new ones to help pass the time this winter.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:10 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,424,202 times
We used to play Backgammon all the time, when we were moving we came across the game and eventually hope to play it once we're more unpacked. No clue about the ipad app but if you find out how it is, let us know.

Another neat card game we liked a lot was Pit - it was lively and exciting - lots of shouting and fun to play - unfortunately another one we haven't played in quite a while. NOticed now it comes w/ a bell and they've changed (modernized) some of the crops to make it more appropriate for today, I guess. Either way, the bull and the bear still exist and the main idea is the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
Any Backgammon fans here? Im looking for a good backgammon ipad app that has random dice rolls. Ive been playing one that ive downloaded but the dice are so loaded that the game isnt fun to play. Im looking for a game where the computer plays perfect strategy but both sides get completely random rolls...this way, i can learn the game by playing an amazing player and not someone who i completely outplay and lose to because they get 'amazing rolls' when they need them.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:34 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
We play Settlers of Catan quite a lot around here, it's a great game. What folks haven't mentioned yet is that the "board" is built each time. The board is made up of hexagonal "resource" tiles that have pictures of the resources the provide on them - sheep, wood, clay & stone. You then put a small round number counter numbered between 2 and 12 (except for 7's) on each resource tile. Seven is reserved for some special maneuvers in the game so it doesn't show up on resource tiles. So, you can set the board up so there will be less of any one resource or set it up so all the resources are in one spot which pretty much means folks have to trade with each other. A game lasts about forty five minutes or so and we rarely only play one.

Another good game which is a bit obscure but is loads of fun is "The Farming Game". The idea is to make money from farming. (Bwahahahaha!) You start out with a field of hay, a field of grain and fifty thousand in debt. It is set up with a season for each side of the square of a rather Monopoly looking board. During Winter season you buy fields of hay, grain, cows, orchards, tractors, etc. Then you start going into Spring, Summer and Fall. That's where you land on your different fields and harvest them. A roll of the dice lets you determine how good of a farmer you are. Sometimes you harvest a lot, sometimes not so much. Then there is the "expenses" card which tells you how much it costs to harvest. Sometimes you have to pay the water bill, the tractor repair bill, the seed bill, etc. Then there are the "Farmer's Fate" cards, those can be anything. Boll weevils, the IRS garnishing your pay, some sort of embargo so your wheat prices go through the roof, etc. The game ends when someone thinks they've made a quarter million and they call an audit. Add everything up and whoever made the most farming wins.

There is also another fun board game called "Robo Rally". It is like Settlers of Catan where you set the board up using a variety of different pieces. Then you try to program your robot to get through the robot factory. You have to put the "go forward three spaces", "turn left", "turn right", "go forward one space: etc., cards in sequence and hope nothing knocks your robot off track and that you put the cards in the right order. Everyone puts several moves worth of cards in their stack and then each robot is moved. They move and then shoot lasers which go across the board unless they are stopped by a wall so sometimes they will readjust a robot across the board. A robot hit by lasers is moved to a different square which then puts all of his programmed moves into chaos.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:24 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,133,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cledussnow View Post
Anyone else have other less well-known board games that they enjoy?
I tend to stick to word/trivia games, but I recently got (and played) Oh no! Zombies! which is a fun, quick playing game for up to four players. It's really funny, and fun once you get the hang of it. Gameplay is a bit involved, so it definitely takes some concentration.

What I like about it the most is that it's two games at once. You start off as a human who is trying to get batteries for a busted walkie in a shack, and if you get turned into a zombie, your object is to turn the other humans, so that the zombies win.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:18 AM

1,479 posts, read 2,719,834 times
I like "Kittens in a blender". Fun game with a quirky name.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:35 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
My niece introduced me to a game called "Apples to Apples" which was quite fun.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:54 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,557,052 times
Default Axis & Allies

Lots of good games mentioned.

Axis & Allies was mentioned the most I do believe.

It is also one of my favorites.

Any other fans out there?

Old 03-14-2016, 03:53 PM

306 posts, read 336,590 times
Acquire is a great game of high finance investing. Also, Donald Trump has a board game called Trump (seems appropriate for the time). My brother-in-law has had it for years and it's actually quite a bit of fun - no surprise it's a real estate investing game.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:51 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
My all time favorite is Scrabble......

There used to be a game called Masterpiece that was really fun too....

I looked for it at X-Mas time while out shopping & no one has it.
I wonder if it's even possible to find anymore, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation