Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 09:28 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,119,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
First, I tip my hat to your 84 years young self for not only being so busy but you're a "Real" outdoor busy

Thank you for your kind and thoughtful comments on my life-style.....I hope you have a long and fruitful life............

I was very LUCKY to be born and raised in a rural area in northern Illinois right up close to the Wis state line. Grew up "with a fishing rod in one hand and a rifle or shotgun in the other" from the age of (10). Living several miles from town, in those days "you spent most of your free time in the outdoors". Having lost my father at age 13, I was LUCKY to have some neighbors within a mile or so that "schooled me in-the-way-of-the-outdoors."
.......Was working my way through college, when during the summer between my freshman and soph year, I experienced a "Life-Changing" incident:....I had been running a "Jack-Hammer", breaking up concrete pavment and curb & gutter and in late August I decided I'd quit a week before school started again................the evening of the day after I quit, I accepted a ride from a casual friend in his Ford convertible--top down. I was seated in the far right of the front seat--his girl friend in the middle between him and me.
The last thing I remember: they were arguing, he was mad at her and took his anger "out on the gas pedal"........Police said we hit a tree in the middle of the driver's door........at about 100 mph.

That was August 23rd........I woke up Sept 6th, laying in a hospital bed in an Oxygen Tent & hooked up to a bunch of tubes.... My head was bandaged (23 stiches), so were both hands and my left thigh that had some wounds that were stiched.... Had lost TOTAL hearing in my left ear.... I was in a Full-Body-Cast that was setting 17 Fractures: L1, L2, L3, L4, & L5 Vertebrae; fractured Pelvis; 4 Ribs; Sternum; Left Shoulder, Shoulder Blade, Collar Bone, Forearm, Wrist and Right Knee....

............The two friends next to me were both killed on impact.........their two bodies "saved my life"!
For the last 30 years or so, I've worn a back brace and a brace on my right knee.............pretty small inconvience vs being in a wheel chair..............

I got out of the hospital the following January, continued Physical Therapy sessions on a bi-weekly basis to a total of approx 150 and went back to college late that next year. Continued to work a couple of part time jobs during the following 3 school years and as a 'flag-man' during the summer on that same road-building gang. Finished college, had reconstructive surgery on that right knee and married my college girl friend. We had one child (a wonderful daughter) and were married (51) years till I lost my wife to Cancer 10 years ago..........................So Yeah,.....I've been One-LUCKY-Guy

What kind of bird dog? Brittany My first guess would be German Short Hair.

My second is because you ARE outdoors doing physical things!
I have forced myself to stay as active as possible. (7) days after I graduated college, I got a job as a field engr for an Industrial Steel Fabrication Co.,---a job that required extensive travel to many, many job sites all over the western U.S., B.C. and Alaska.......(I knew if I got an office job----I'd die by age 50!!!).... Stayed in that job until I retired at age 62... Knowing the long term effect from the trama my body received, I have tried to live a healthy-life-style.........Gave up smoking 47 years ago and only have maybe 15 glasses of wine a year. Have had cancer surgery (prostate and bladder); gall bladder surgery; eye surgery and para-throid surgey..

All I can say regarding my life-style is that my intense love of the mountains, hunting and fishing over the years has provided the incentive to not waste the "the Gift from God" to have lived through that accident.
I also am LUCKY to have had a "positive outlook" on all aspects of my life......God knows there are so many folks out there that have had "it" a lot worse than I have, and I've always believed "that-the-glass-is always "Half Full".

Know what you mean about having horses:..............had 3 of them for 26 yrs--used primarily for trips into the mountains and getting "way-back-in" to set-up our Elk camp back in the mid 1960's to about 1995..........at that point the dis-comfort level got to be too much....However, even to this last fall, I still do some bird hunting with my dog............kinda slow & careful, but still I enjoy it.

I am young by your calendar - 68. But alas, my wild lifetime ways of re-schooling rank horses and riding my snowmobile off places I shouldn't, have cost me dearly in the mobility department.

I can't ride anymore but I still have two horses. That means I spend at least three hours at the barn every day fussing with them and cleaning stalls.

As far as what I used to do but had to give up early on, it was softball first, snowmobiling second.

I am not an indoor enthusiast of anything and while family vacations were always a hoot, my idea of "travel" was when my horse trailer was hooked to my truck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 08:37 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,568,008 times
I have too man Hobbies. Collecting Antique Lighting, stained Glass work, Antique lighting repair, metalworking, collecting watchmakers lathes, engraving glass and metal, working with hot glass, slumping and molding, Casting brass and metals, Machine shop projects, Lapidary work, Jewelry making, and collecting old specialty tools and a few more....

Not enough time....

Old 09-25-2015, 09:24 PM

342 posts, read 437,783 times
I sew and think it is a great hobby and pass time for a women...I always have sewing to do, one project after another... Otherwise I would spend too much time in front of computer. But with sewing project going on I barely have any time for computer..I read "diagonally" my Facebook feed and a few things like this forum here and there for a couple of min and then I think that I am wasting time and go back to sewing I turn TV on when I sew so I can listen....

Old 10-01-2015, 07:18 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,185,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicCircuits View Post
Wow, its amazing how many skills/talents you guys have. Outside of being a really skilled engineer, I have no talents at all. I've tried hobbies, failed, and given up. Took clarinet lessons only to be told that I was the worst student the teacher ever had. Tried dating, didn't get anywhere with girls. Tried to grow plants and they died. Now I just stick to my three talents - math, CAD, and programming. The rest of the time I just watch TV.
A lot of people are like this but won't admit it. Props to ya

I never know what to count as a hobby unless it's obvious.

My summer one, that takes a ton of work (but I love it) is water ballet - we do art shows and make our own costumes and sets, have a script with actors, etc. The rest of the year I synchronize swim because I love it.

Reading forums and making witty comments is pretty much a hobby too

Old 10-28-2015, 08:24 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,693,006 times
I love to fish. Something I have done since I was around 6 and really love to do.
I have had many boats over the years on salt water and now fresh water.
Even if I don't catch anything just getting out makes the day pleasant.

I also build and fly fixed wing radio control (RC). Been at this off and on since the 1970s. At first it was nitro or gas models but now it's all electric. Much cleaner. If it's nasty outdoors I can build or modify a plane until I can fly again.

I also enjoy a nice drive. Always have liked to drive and ride around seeing the countryside. We have a little Mazda MX-5 Miata which is a great little touring sports car that reminds me of the old British sports cars of the 50s-70s. Rear wheel drive, great MPG (30 MPG) and twice the power of the old cars with much better handling!

Used to shoot a lot for sport but ammo just got too expensive for playing around.
Also was into ham radio for many years. Sort of a spin off from my trade of electronics repair but got bored with it and dropped out.

Just staying busy in retirement with things we enjoy.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:58 AM

3,102 posts, read 5,614,849 times
sketching from nature, it is one of my hobbies, I would say even a part of life and soul
Attached Thumbnails
What are your hobbies?-img_20150118_024832.jpg  

Old 01-09-2016, 09:10 AM

3,102 posts, read 5,614,849 times
Or a photo or,or....
Attached Thumbnails
What are your hobbies?-img_20150124_000154.jpg   What are your hobbies?-dsc_0151-2-.jpg   What are your hobbies?-img_20151128_125412.jpg  

Old 02-17-2016, 01:14 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,111,747 times
I modify cars, photography, guitar, and as of yesterday, weld.

Old 02-17-2016, 10:04 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,716,429 times
I am an "audiophile". This is someone who spends an obscene amount of money by most people's standards on audio equipment (Digital or analog source, pre-amplifier, amplifier, speakers, equipment racks, power cleaners, cables of all sorts and acoustic room treatments) listening to recorded music (records, cds and other digital or tape media). We are generally quite old and divorced (because our wives couldn't stand the site of all the audio equipment we had standing everywhere in the house). Many of us use vacuum tubes in our equipment and keep a stock of 100s-1,000 of different types of tubes for our digital sources, pre-amplifiers and amplifiers. Many of these tubes were made before, or during, WWII! However, vacuum tube manufacturing is coming back, after it petered out in the US in the late 70s-early 80s, mostly in Russia, China and Czech Republic.

We are insane, and I have only touched upon the tip of the Iceberg!

Old 02-17-2016, 10:50 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
sketching from nature, it is one of my hobbies, I would say even a part of life and soul
Very nice work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation