Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 03:04 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times

Advertisements

Collecting geodes, fossils, Indian arrowheads and other artifacts, not from rock shops, but from their natural locations. There are a few nearby locations which include all three categories.

Collecting vintage and antique toys.

Traditional music and dance, some dating to the mid-1600s.

Evidently I am drawn to the past in a variety of ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 03:41 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Collecting geodes, fossils, Indian arrowheads and other artifacts, not from rock shops, but from their natural locations. There are a few nearby locations which include all three categories.

Collecting vintage and antique toys.

Traditional music and dance, some dating to the mid-1600s.

Evidently I am drawn to the past in a variety of ways.
I'm interested in some of those same things. I wish I still had the Indian arrowhead I found in my first garden. The house was located on top of Indian Hill on Wigwam Rd. I'm not much into old toys but old dishes--yes! I also am trying my hand at metal detecting. People may think you look weird walking along the beach holding a metal detector but I feel like I'm partially fulfilling my old "I want to be an archaeologist" dream. Mostly it's pull tabs and bottle caps but you never know.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:27 PM

857 posts, read 975,696 times
I collect dog collars. Some are very expensive. I don't know why I collect them, but every time I see a cool collar, I have to have it. I've even been bashed on CD forum for buying pricy collars. I'm sorry that some people can't afford a $300 collar but that's not my problem. I enjoy indulging my dogs.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:43 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby1half View Post
I collect dog collars. Some are very expensive. I don't know why I collect them, but every time I see a cool collar, I have to have it. I've even been bashed on CD forum for buying pricy collars. I'm sorry that some people can't afford a $300 collar but that's not my problem. I enjoy indulging my dogs.
If you ever visit Leeds Castle (in Kent in the UK), be sure to see the dog collar museum. Evidently if a prominent person's dog passes away, his or her collar is donated to Leeds Castle.

Leeds Castle also has a Duckery. I have a photo of an ivy-surrounded sign with an arrow: ----> TO THE DUCKERY. Evidently a Duckery is a collection of various ducks and other domestic waterfowl.

I think England has more quirky small museums and small museum collections than any other place I've visited. I visited a little place in the Cotswolds that had locally made antique wooden legs hanging from the ceiling like stalactites, saw a large collection of vintage typewriters, and know of a candy-tin museum - along with the dog collar museum (perhaps there's a connection to "Leeds"/"Leads"??)

Of course, all these museum collections probably belonged to individuals whose hobbies were frowned upon or otherwise viewed askance by their contemporaries!

Old 09-05-2013, 06:16 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,863 times
It's nothing really odd or unusual but one of my interest and hobbies is firearms. I grew up in an area where firearms was socially excepted, you're where issued a firearm once released from the Labor and Delivery room or apoun moving to the area. Anyhow, I have recently relocated to an area of the state in which attracts people from more Liberal and non firearm friendly parts of the country. So non I run across people frown apoun my hobby for various reasons. I don't run around flaunting my hobby but every once and a while the subject comes up and when it does, I get odd reactions when mentioning some of my collection. I don't have any irregard for these people per se, firearms isn't for everyone and idiots running around shooting up schools or theaters doesn't help things either. I just grew up differently and enjoy firearms.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:56 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
I smoke a pipe. Briar and corncob pipes with all sorts of different tobaccos. American Classics like Prince Albert and Half & Half to English blends like Dunhill Early Morning Pipe.

People who pre-judge such activities have no idea what a relaxing and flavorful experience it really is. Smoking in any form is bad for you but Pipe Smoking may be the lesser of the evils and I don't do it constantly, maybe a few times a week.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:23 AM

185 posts, read 461,318 times
Drinking is by far more destructive than video games or dungeons and dragons. Dungeons and dragons can at it's best, be a creative outlet where you invent a world and write a complex storyline with multiple outcomes, challenge wit, utilize math skills, and have a darn good time. I partake in this socially unacceptable game of thought and strategy and fantasy. I don't play REAL war games mister president, I play the ones where no one gets hurt, thank you.

Drinking, socially or not, only makes you numb to the world. (I partake in the booze, though I keep only one bottle in the house at a time, and my husband keeps me in check.)

Shooting, can provide for the family. My husband shoots for fun, but when he hunts, he hunts. We didn't get a deer last year, but the family who's land we hunted on had extra tags they filled in and we paid for them, from January, we still have meat in the freezer from that one deer. That, is a useful hobby right there. (it's conservative if anything... there's nothing liberal about shooting. The liberals want to take guns away because they hurt aminals and apparently guns kill people, not the ones pulling the trigger lol....)

Old 09-28-2013, 12:50 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,792,904 times
A lot of people are mentioning firearms or other weapons so I'll say I love swords and I'm a fan of Archery(which is always harder than it looks for me). Though I could never own a gun, I just don't like or trust them around other people.

When I am able to go fishing I go, even if I don't catch anything I still have a good time.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:26 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
What hobbies or interest do you have that seems to be frowned upon by the general public?

Having sex in public...with or without a partner, apparently that is frowned upon by the public and law enforcement.

Joking aside, I like to collect knives. First mention of that and people give a sideways look as though I'm the second coming of Jack the Ripper. I'm talking higher end production and custom made knives, not cheap mall knives that look like zombie slayers.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:22 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alban_Berg View Post
People assume that because I find psychopharmacology (how drugs work) interesting, that I must be some sort of drug addict, when in fact, I don't even drink.
"psychopharmacology"...what a cool word! I've never heard or used it before. I also have an interest in drugs, but I would not go so far as to call it a hobby. And actually my interest is more in your typical drugstore fare, I want to know what the actual ingredients in everything are and what they do and all the side effects. If someone says "cold medicine" to me I just give them a deadpan look, that could be anything! I am also a sober person, I don't even drink...

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
My wife and I collect vintage and newer morgue and mortuary equipment.

We use a vintage dissection table as our dining room table. (Yes really)
You sound really, really interesting and I would LOVE to see your home and your collection. I have great appreciation for people who collect unusual or morbid things. I bet your table is beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My other big hobby is Halloween. I'm already making Halloween decorations and planning how to decorate the yard. I make costumes and masks and paper mache props.
I do, too! I love having the coolest yard in the neighborhood for Halloween.

Also, I think that D&D is a great social activity, and it's a bit funny to me how it used to be considered possibly some kind of devil-worship by people who didn't understand it. In my household, it is a family activity, we have close friends come over and we get our teenage sons into it. I do think that there's value in the social interaction with people face-to-face that isn't quite there in video gaming. I used to think you got a more true picture of people talking online, because appearance wasn't there to distract you. But now...I'm not sure.

As for video games... I heard a music clip the other day from a game called Castlevania Symphony of the Night, which has a really beautiful soundtrack. It brought it back and I wanted to play it again, which I have not found time yet to do. But this is vastly different from my experience with World of Warcraft. Like when you are reading a really engrossing book, with the older games, it had a specific run and when it was over, it was over. Some of these MMORPGs and other online games...it's more like, you shall create this alternate self and live a significant portion of your life as that self, indefinitely now. Eventually the quests and everything just felt like work and not fun. That's when I knew it was time to stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation